website statistics

Men's Field Hockey Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

LDOG

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

No they wouldn't i suppose, 16 teams would face off for 8 spots or the best ranked unqualified team qualifies like last time. 

Egypt is favourite to be finish in top 2 in African qualifier and this time FIH has allowed the quota to be transferred to losing finalist in case winner doesn't accept the quota and loser is ranked in top 20. So, Egypt are very likely to qualify as African team.

Even if African quota is not claimed, there won't be 8th match. Among the 7 losing teams from the qualifiers, the team with the highest WR would qualify for Olympics in that case. 

3 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

The sports with lesser chances of medals like hockey. Not in rugby sevens 

Although for Rio, the women sevens team qualified as African champions -  but they were withdrawn by their Olympic Committee

hace 6 horas, Siddhartha Talukdar dijo:

Continental quota will go to the next placed team, if the team is within 20th rank

But how many ranking points is each team expected to earn through the Pro League and Hockey Series

Pro League: 1st place 700 pts, 9th place 475 pts.

Hockey Series: 1st place 500 pts, 2nd place 400 pts.

The winner of a hockey series tournament (Canada, India, France) earns the same points as the 8th place of the pro league (New Zealand).

I have two big doubts:

a) If Pakistan will earn points for 9th place in pro league (I'd guess not, but I don't know for sure).

b) If the points for the asian games are already being counted or not. When I check the ranking sheet Japan still has points for "Asia 5th", which is strange given they won the games. I guess the points of all continental championships will be counted only when all of them are finished?

In my opinion there won't be any relevant changes in rankings before play-offs except for France, who I think will surpass China.

3 minutes ago, LDOG said:

b) If the points for the asian games are already being counted or not. When I check the ranking sheet Japan still has points for "Asia 5th", which is strange given they won the games. I guess the points of all continental championships will be counted only when all of them are finished?

Are you sure Asian Games are counted as the continental championships to the ranking also? I think it might be Asia Cup (indeed, Japan was 5th two years ago in men's Asia Cup) while Asian Games are called the continental championships for the Olympic qualification only.

Justo ahora, Vojthas dijo:

Are you sure Asian Games are counted as the continental championships to the ranking also? I think it might be Asia Cup (indeed, Japan was 5th two years ago in men's Asia Cup) while Asian Games are called the continental championships for the Olympic qualification only.

Yes, I'm 100% sure they count.

The eurohockey is held every 2 years and they both count for the ranking. Asia has the asia cup but only every 4 years because they count the asian games as their continental ch. in the middle. It's the same with America and the panamerican games.

In fact, it's not exactly the latest continental championship that gives the points for ranking, it's the average placement in the last 4 years of "continental cups". That is, the last two tournaments of each continent.

15 hours ago, LDOG said:

Pro League: 1st place 700 pts, 9th place 475 pts.

Hockey Series: 1st place 500 pts, 2nd place 400 pts.

The winner of a hockey series tournament (Canada, India, France) earns the same points as the 8th place of the pro league (New Zealand).

I have two big doubts:

a) If Pakistan will earn points for 9th place in pro league (I'd guess not, but I don't know for sure).

In my opinion there won't be any relevant changes in rankings before play-offs except for France, who I think will surpass China.

No, 2018 Asian games have not been included till now. At present, Asian ranking includes 2017 Asia Cup, 2016 Asian Champions Trophy and 2014 Asian Games. I think they will update all continental championships together only. 

New world ranking is out (http://fih.ch/rankings/outdoor/ ), some big changes:

-Pakistan fell to 17 and China to 18 (with this they both would in theory drop to the lowest pot for the play-off seeding).

-England is now 6th surpassing Germany.

-France and South Africa climb to 13 and 14 (with this they both climb to pot 3 for the play-off seeding).

Only the continental championships to go before we get the final seeding for the play-off draw. IMO the only big battle that could decide a major change in this ranking is between England and Germany (they are very few points apart). 6th place is important cuz it's the position that could be the cut for pot 1 in the play-offs (assuming Argentina and Australia do they work in their continental).

Pakistan's dropout from pro league has costed them vital points. Maybe an olympic play-off with India looming on the horizon...

Edited by LDOG

• 1 month later...