website statistics

Men's Field Hockey Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

LDOG

il y a 1 minute, Dunadan a déclaré:

You have to consider that 2 more teams qualify to the OQT by ranking, and they will most likely be Pro League teams. 

All right, I've missed that. It still should left one Pro League team home though.

vor 50 Minuten schrieb De_Gambassi:

If I get it right (and assuming that only Australia and one of the european Pro League teams will qualifie from their respective contintental championship), three teams from the Pro League will no take part in the OQT ? If so, it's a blessing for second tier countries like France, but also very iodiotic.

Yeah, but at least in the Women's Competition it's highly likely that either Argentina or USA will win the Pan American Championships, and both are Pro League Team. With the men I suppose you have Canada as a second option to Argentina, but it isn't that likely.

• 1 month later...
hace 21 minutos, rybak said:

Poland and Italy joined to United States, Mexico, Singapore, Thailand, Austria, Wales, Vanuatu and Fiji and qualified to Hockey Series Open Finals which means that we still are in conncetion about qualify to Olympics :cheer:

Fiji is out, only one team from Oceania advances. 

Anyway, Vanuatu will probably withdraw later due to lack of funds, as is tradition of pacific islands in hockey. 

1 minutę temu, LDOG napisał:

Fiji is out, only one team from Oceania advances. 

Anyway, Vanuatu will probably withdraw later due to lack of funds, as is tradition of pacific islands in hockey. 

That's pretty bad, which team eventually could replace Vanuatu? 

• 3 months later...

FIH released new men's world ranking after world cup:

1- :BEL 2- :AUS 3- :NED 4- :ARG 5- :IND 6- :GER 7- :ENG/:GBR 8- :NZL 9- :ESP 10- :CAN 11- :IRL 12- :PAK 13- :MAS 14- :CHN 15- :FRA 16- :RSA 17- :KOR 18- :JPN 19- :AUT 20-   

Remember the ranking is important for the seeding of OQ play-offs. There will be 7 play-off matches (14 teams total).

Let's make a simulation of what would it look like if Australia, Argentina and Belgium win their continental ch. Japan doesn't participate ofc, and I will also

assume South Africa will reject the african quota but still participate in the play-offs.

Olympic play-offs draw simulation

Upper seeding (three matches)

Possible match-ups.... (seeds 1-3) :NED   vs (seeds 12-14)  :FRA :RSA  

Lower seeding (four matches)   

Possible match-ups.... (seeds 4-7)  :GBR :NZL :ESP :CAN vs (seeds 8-11) :IRL :PAK :MAS :CHN 

IMPORTANT

-Remember that still some of these teams could fail to reach the play-offs. Especially those that have to qualify through world hockey series.

-As you can see the biggest loser in the ranking is France, since they are forced to play bigger teams. After their great performance in WC I thought they would reach a higher ranking but I was wrong. Still, the difference with the next ranked team (China) is only 4 points. The good news for France is that China esentially won't have any opportunity to win ranking points other than the hockey series. Meanwhile France will play both hockey series and European division II championship. If they perform well in these competitions they will surpass China for sure (and remember, there is still the possibility that China fails to qualify for the play-offs at the hockey series).