website statistics

Equestrian Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

dcro

Brazilians will apparently ship five horses to Moscow for next week's CDI3*.

Transporting horses from Western Europe to Moscow is pretty much a logistical nightmare. Usually they end up being on Belarussian border for like 12+ hours alone. That's why you very rarely see non-ex-Soviets competing there, but indeed these are exceptional circumstances for Team Brazil...

#banbestmen

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

Saleh is trying really hard. On tonight's underscoring menu he found Austria. :rolleyes:

https://results.hippodata.de/2019/1657/html/en/hippodata/resultlist_23.html

I'm guessing it's not the first time he's under suspicion of doing dirty work to cover the mediocrity of the french dressage riders.

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

I'm guessing it's not the first time he's under suspicion of doing dirty work to cover the mediocrity of the french dressage riders.

Probably yes.

He is also trying to be sneaky though. Given the specific situation, he can both underscore and overscore his targets, and thus make himself look clean - even if the outcome of such judging doesn't make sense. This may sound paranoid, but I'm quite sure about it. :p Yesterday 4/5 judges had Senhorini as the best Brazilian. And that made sense, since Senhorini performed a relatively clean test, while the other two had big errors for which they fully deserved low 60s...

And Saleh? He put Senhorini way behind both Almeida and Oliva...

But then again, I always felt like the Olympic qualifications bring the worst in the officials, in all kinds of sports. Much more so than Olympics themselves. :dunno:

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

But then again, I always felt like the Olympic qualifications bring the worst in the officials, in all kinds of sports. Much more so than Olympics themselves. :dunno:

The number of athletes trying to qualify is a lot larger than the number of athletes trying to win a medal. So I can see there being more pressure for officials to do shady stuff.

Edited by JoshMartini007

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The number of athletes trying to qualify is a lot larger than the number of athletes trying to win a medal. So I can see there being more pressure for officials to do shady stuff.

There’s a lot more at stake. It’s one thing to be a medalist, but many athletes are just happy to make it to the Olympics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

As I suspected, Brazilian and South African riders are indeed struggling to get on entry lists for the remaining indoor events... Same is happening with Austria and France, but not nearly to the same extent.

This is becoming quite bizarre...

http://www.eurodressage.com/2019/11/26/brazil-south-africa-austria-france-sprinting-olympic-tokyo-team-qualification

#banbestmen

Overview of this weekend's action in eventing...

Campo de Mayo Horse Trials

CCI4*-Long

:ARG Juan Benitez Gallardo (JBG Espuelas Atila)

:ECU Ronald Zabala-Goetschel (Pats Jester)

:ECU Ronald Zabala-Goetschel (Wundermaske)

:ECU Ronald Zabala-Goetschel (The Apprentice)

:URU Lucia Chieza (SVR Energico)

CCI4*-Short

:CHI Carlos Lobos (Ranco)

Wallaby Hill Horse Trials

CCI4*-Long

:PAK Usman Khan (Azad Kashmir) - 35.10 + 2.80 + 18.80

I have only listed the riders who stand a mathematical chance of qualification, even if it is very remote for both Argentina and Uruguay...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Very, very good start for Usman Khan - a personal best in dressage.

Meanwhile, I fear we might not get interim results from South America. But anyway, here is how it can play out...

• If :CHI Lobos wins his CCI4*-S event, then he is home free. There are only two entrants in this event.
  • If :CHI Lobos finishes 2nd, then :ECU Zabala can overtake him, but only if he wins the CC4*-L event aboard Wundermaske.
  • If :CHI Lobos enounters problems and does not score any points, then whoever wins the CCI4*-L events stands a chance to claim the Group E quota on tie-break.

#banbestmen