website statistics

Equestrian Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

dcro

Well, this is weird. FEI changed the qualification system (again), and looks like there will be two Group C jumping qualifiers with nations choosing at which one they will participate (Budapest or Moscow). :yikes: That is just about the stupidest qualification path ever. One venue may end up with 10 teams and the other may get 2 or something! :facepalm:

And I'm afraid that is exactly what's going to happen if nations choose to go to a more practical location. Budapest may end up getting stacked with Israel, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia... While in Moscow it may quite possibly be Russia vs Belarus (vs Kyrgyzstan?)...

#banbestmen

There may be some mind games. Looking at the rankings, Israel and Poland are the top two Group C nations so I'd imagine if the possibility was there someone like the Czech Republic could take their chances and compete in Russia. Or maybe those two nations come to an agreement and one of them (Poland?) goes to Russia.

16 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

There may be some mind games. Looking at the rankings, Israel and Poland are the top two Group C nations so I'd imagine if the possibility was there someone like the Czech Republic could take their chances and compete in Russia. Or maybe those two nations come to an agreement and one of them (Poland?) goes to Russia.

I don't think we will choose Russia. Though it is our national way of thinking to look for an easier way, in sports we have usually less money than needed, which might be crucial.

I wonder if Estonia will put together a team for Moscow. If Russia turns out to be the main opposition, then anything can happen as Estonia has some decent individuals (better than Russia I'd say).

Taking a sneak peek at various Moscow results from 2018, it looks like only Russia, Belarus and Estonia participated at those events...

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I wonder if Estonia will put together a team for Moscow. If Russia turns out to be the main opposition, then anything can happen as Estonia has some decent individuals (better than Russia I'd say).

Taking a sneak peek at various Moscow results from 2018, it looks like only Russia, Belarus and Estonia participated at those events...

Whatever happened to Ukraine? They "found" a good team for the last Olympics.

Just now, Dragon said:

Whatever happened to Ukraine? They "found" a good team for the last Olympics.

Yes, their mercenary team dated back to pre-2008, but just around Rio 2016 they disbanded quite dramatically...

Basically all foreigners more or less left after that. Rivetti switched back to Brazil. Tebbel is gone too. Others are no longer at the top level. I doubt they'll even attempt to send a team to these events.

#banbestmen

Surprise, surprise, Barcelona will once again host the Nations Cup Final. :d

Spain will therefore be prequalified as hosts. But I wouldn't get my hopes too high up. Spain has a history of flopping miserably at Barcelona finals. :wacko:

#banbestmen

12 minuti fa, dcro ha scritto:

Surprise, surprise, Barcelona will once again host the Nations Cup Final. :d

Spain will therefore be prequalified as hosts. But I wouldn't get my hopes too high up. Spain has a history of flopping miserably at Barcelona finals. :wacko:

I wonder if this is what Italy should expect next June in Lausanne, too...:whistle::zip:

Edited by phelps

• 2 weeks later...