website statistics

Women's 3x3 Basketball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

Just now, MHSN said:

I don't think Japan can pick. the best ranked Japanese team qualifies. right now men's team is 8th. women's team is 11th. so it goes to the men's team at least for now.

And apparently women have a priority by default in case of a tie. Very subtle. :rolleyes:

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

And apparently women have a priority by default in case of a tie. Very subtle. :rolleyes:

yes and considering the points gap, I don't think women's team can qualify but you never know. ranking changes in a day .

I just found the ranking for only 4 days ago and you can see MASSIVE change in number of points for all countries in race.  (RUS and CHN are guaranteed) it seems Iran is not the only one "cheating" ! this is the worst qualification format ever. :facepalm:

Comparing points from 5 November and 9 November

:RUS 12,102,587 ==> 12,193,547

:CHN 11,198,879 ==> 11,356,804

:ROU 8,658,440 ==> 8,894,875

:FRA 8,375,136 ==> 8,678,836

:MGL 6,403,888 ==> 7,041,633

:IRI 5,976,591 ==> 6,764,738

:TPE 5,970,420 ==> 6,504,495

If Japan wanted to send the women's team, they would have organized more local tournaments for women and less for men...so in a certain sense they picked the men's team.

Iran was behind Italy a couple of weeks ago, they are organizing several tournaments a day! But to be fair Mongolia is even weaker than Iran, they also wouldn't deserve to qualify based on results.

Edited by Dunadan

Mongolia would be a funny qualifier though.

3 million people. No basketball tradition whatsoever. And yet they are almost qualified via rankings that are somehow based on playing activity. :lol:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Would just like to point out that :MGL has played in the World Cups. They have actually managed to beat a few countries and atleast not get destroyed by the powerful nations, so if they get quota it’s not the end of the world. It’d be cool to :MGL qualify a team through the ranking. Them and :DOM are my favorites for universality tournament. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I think you have no idea what you are talking about...Mongolia did play at the World Cup but they lost all games, even against Iran. As for the universality tournament, :DOM is too far behind in the ranking and Mongolia would have no chance against teams like Italy...

Just now, Dunadan said:

I think you have no idea what you are talking about...Mongolia did play at the World Cup but they lost all games, even against Iran. As for the universality tournament, :DOM is too far behind in the ranking and Mongolia would have no chance against teams like Italy...

Well realistically :DOM is the best unqualified team. :PUR is better on the men’s side. I’d know since I’ve been watching 3x3 instead of complaining about it like the rest of y’all. Their ranking is an issue though. They’ll need to schedule a few thousand more tournaments. 

I also just realized I was confusing :MGL women for the men’s team. The men are much better. They beat :EST and :RUS at this years World Cup and only lost to :UKR by 1.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela