website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

32 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Huge troubles for Matej Tóth, the Dudince 50 schedulled for 21 March, was his RACE where he was supposed to qualify for Tokyo, now with all sport events canceled in Slovakia, he lost probably his last chance to qualify...our Athletics federation already informed they will try to register him as soon as they´ll find a 50k race somewhere, no matter where....

Since he DNF the last worlds farce race he does not have any chance to qualify via ranking, his only chance is to compete somewhere to earn the required standard...well, things does not look better, do you know by any chance a 50k race being held somewhere maybe I would be able to send then a mail to our athletics federation with the information

Well there is the Japan National Championships in 50km Race Walk in Wajima, April 12thhttps://www.jaaf.or.jp/competition/detail/1436/ (I can't find the information document in English, so I hope someone in Slovakia can translate it.)

It should be open for international athletes from what I can see from last year's results:  http://www.marciadalmondo.com/admin/pdf/risultati/14042019152Wajima50km_Res.pdf

However, I'm not sure if Slovaks are allowed to travel to Japan at the moment? 

Probably an easier option is the World Athletics Race Walking Team Championships May 3rd: https://www.worldathletics.org/Competitions/world-athletics-race-walking-team-championshi

Edit: @Jur has mention it. 

Edited by Wumo

Just now, Wumo said:

Well there is the Japan National Championships in 50km Race Walk in Wajima April 12th :https://www.jaaf.or.jp/competition/detail/1436/ (I can't find the information document in English, so I hope someone in Slovakia can translate it.)

It should be open for international athletes from what I can see from last year's results:  http://www.marciadalmondo.com/admin/pdf/risultati/14042019152Wajima50km_Res.pdf

However, I'm not sure if Slovaks are allowed to travel to Japan at the moment? 

Probably an easier option is the World Athletics Race Walking Team Championships May 3rd: https://www.worldathletics.org/Competitions/world-athletics-race-walking-team-championshi

Will use this and send to our federation, but I am quite sure they know about these events, hopefully they will find a way to register him.. he is well prepared apparently, with great training times far inside the required standard, it would be a nightmare if he´ll have to miss the Olympics because of this freaking virus...

hace 3 minutos, hckosice dijo:

Will use this and send to our federation, but I am quite sure they know about these events, hopefully they will find a way to register him.. he is well prepared apparently, with great training times far inside the required standard, it would be a nightmare if he´ll have to miss the Olympics because of this freaking virus...

Now that I'm looking his case, I don't think he'll even need a 50km race.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2018 Europeans count for the olympic ranking. And he was second there with a great mark. So just doing a decent 20KM would allow him to enter easily by ranking.

Matej Tóth and Michal Morvay will (hopefully) compete in France the 22nd March at the 50km French National Championship in Giene. The organizers accepted their registrations. :hug::FRA

Now let´s just hope that the event will not be cancelled, in France the events held under 1000 attendance are generally not cancelled if I am not wrong, right ? because this will be really one of the very last (if not the very last) chance.

There were also a posibility to compete next week at the Ukrainian championship in Ivanofrakivsk but we had to decline it because for some reason they will not organize a 50k race but just a 35km race :crazy: Another possibility may be the traditonal annual 20km czech Podebrady race, but because of the nowadays issue there rumors the organizers are considering to organize also a 50k race

38 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Matej Tóth and Michal Morvay will (hopefully) compete in France the 22nd March at the 50km French National Championship in Giene. The organizers accepted their registrations. :hug::FRA

Now let´s just hope that the event will not be cancelled, in France the events held under 1000 attendance are generally not cancelled if I am not wrong, right ? because this will be really one of the very last (if not the very last) chance.

There were also a posibility to compete next week at the Ukrainian championship in Ivanofrakivsk but we had to decline it because for some reason they will not organize a 50k race but just a 35km race :crazy: Another possibility may be the traditonal annual 20km czech Podebrady race, but because of the nowadays issue there rumors the organizers are considering to organize also a 50k race

Dunfee shared a tweet about the walkers qualification plight after that event, and he listed a 50km in Costa Rica as another possibility...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Le 10/03/2020 à 16:32, hckosice a dit :

Federations are suspending their season as we speak (so far, basketball, handball, football...). So yeah...