website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Team Sports Early Qualification Predictions

8 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Do you think that there might be a chance for Germany to qualify in womens basketball? Currently Germany is absolutely dominating at U18 level, but i guess those talents wont be ready to carry the senior team already. I think for 2024 Germany might have a realistic chance to qualify in womens basketball, but 2020 probably comes too early (i dont know how big the step from U18 level to senior level in womens basketball is though). I would love to see Germany qualify in rugby since thats my second favorite team sport at the olympics, but i am not sure whether there is actually a chance. I remember that Germany was not too far away from qualifying for Rio, would you say that the german chances are better this time?

no chance for that. No way that you can't be good in basketball on senior level with only one generation, half of that players (and more) will become joke for few years. In basketball, especially the women's team must have several very experienced players (with at least 10 years of international experience).

Edited by dareza

vor 46 Minuten schrieb dareza:

no chance for that. No way that you can't be good in basketball on senior level with only one generation, half of that players (and more) will become joke for few years. In basketball, especially the women's team must have several very experienced players (with at least 10 years of international experience).

We will see about that, i am not sure if there has been ever such a dominant display at U18 level in Europe (until now). 2020 is unrealistic it seems, but 2024 seems reasonable, especially if the trend continues. On the mens side Germany is currently the 2nd best european nation when it comes to individual talent, the women seem to be behind that trend for some years, but i am optimistic that they will reach a good european level in the next 10 years or so.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 12.8.2018 um 10:08 schrieb dareza:

Apart from this golden generation Germany also has Marie Gülich (drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft this year) and Satou Sabally (PAC 12 freshman of the year this year), i think Germany has a bright future in this sport. Marie Gülich + Satou Sabally + Nyara Sabally should be special.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 3 months later...
hace 26 minutos, Benolympique said:

News pronostics???

I have changed opinion about some after seeing qualifaction methods and performances...

Basketball men

Spoiler

:JPN:CHN:CAN:USA:NGR:AUS:ESP:FRA:GRE:LTU:SLO:SRB 

Handball men

Spoiler

:JPN:ARG:BRA:EGY:QAT:CRO:DEN:ESP:FRA:GER:NOR:SWE

Handball women

Spoiler

:JPN:ANG:KOR:BRA:DEN:FRA:HUN:MNE:NED:ROU:RUS:SWE

Field hockey men

Spoiler

:JPN:ARG:IND:EGY:AUS:NZL:BEL:ESP:FRA:GER:GBR:NED

Field hockey women

Spoiler

:JPN:IND:CHN:ARG:AUS:NZL:BEL:ESP:GER:GBR:IRL:NED

Volleyball men

Spoiler

:JPN:IRI:EGY:ARG:BRA:CAN:CUB:USA:ITA:POL:RUS:SRB 

Sur 01/07/2018 at 23:20 , De_Gambassi a déclaré:

France

Sevens W: 90%

Handball M: 95%

Handball W: 95% 

Basketball W: 85%

Sevens M: 60%

Football W: 80%

Basketball M: 75%

Volleyball M: 75%

Football M: 75%

Field Hockey M. 40%

Water Polo M: 10%

Water Polo W: 10% (Perhaps, not sure really)

Field Hockey W: 1%

Volleyball W: 1%

Baseball: 1%

Softball: 1% 

We had 9 teams in Rio, according to this, we should have 7.75 teams  in Tokyo  :p

I bet on both Handball, both basketball, both football, M volleyball, both rugby and M field hockey so 10 (perhaps no M rugby so 9)

Way things look now I would assume that we will only have two teams in Tokyo: Water Polo (M) and Handball (M). 

Qualification in Football (M) is not impossible, but will be very tough. I don't think that we will be among best four teams at next year's U21 Euro.

The men's Basketball Team still has a chance only in case they get a wild card for the OQT.

Everywhere else chances are very slim to nonexistent.