website statistics

Sports Scandals

bestmen

• 1 month later...

It's not specifically Olympic, but also definitely not focussed on one sport, hence it deserves a thread but there's no other section where it fits (because it's also not 'non-Olympic' per se) :) 

Ukraine's Government has banned the country's athletes from competing at any events in Russia amid an ongoing political dispute and because of the latter nation's doping scandal. The Ukrainian Youth and Sports Ministry has issued a decree which prohibits "the participation of members of the Ukrainian national sports teams in any sports competitions held on the territory of the Russian Federation".

Youth and Sports Minister Ihor Zhdanov confirmed on Facebook that they would not allow Ukrainian competitors to attend major sporting events held in Russia. Zhdanov claimed Russia was an "aggressor" country and "offenders must be expelled from the global sports arena".

Full article on insidethegames.

Personally I think it's a bit odd to use the political stuff as a reason for boycotting events (in any case, not only this one). The systematic state-sponsored doping would be a much more clear reason, but it's already sort of late for that kind of things. Should have done that earlier, or not at all.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

"Ukrainian government bans athletes from competing at events in Russia" thread.

Heretic! :yikes:

B0vX87l.jpg

But serious, this is rather big. Not specifically because it's Ukraine, only one country, but if other countries were to join, this might have an annoyingly bad impact on sports. If two European nations who qualified for the FIFA World Cup were to do the same for example, we'd get all the orange craziness after all, after easily escaping that in qualifying :p 

Spoiler

And no, don't make this the general "Countries Who Are Boycotting Events In Russia Thread".

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 29 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

B0vX87l.jpg

But serious, this is rather big. Not specifically because it's Ukraine, only one country, but if other countries were to join, this might have an annoyingly bad impact on sports. If two European nations who qualified for the FIFA World Cup were to do the same for example, we'd get all the orange craziness after all, after easily escaping that in qualifying :p 

Cacher le contenu

And no, don't make this the general "Countries Who Are Boycotting Events In Russia Thread".

I could bet right there that no country qualified to the 2018 WC will do the same thing :d

Apparently, there is no time frame in the ukrainian decision. I'm not eaxactly sure what they're epecting . As far, I can tell, they only hurt themselves in the process.

Edited by De_Gambassi

I was reading an article about England contemplating a boycott of the FIFA WC?? Because of a poisoning of a former KGB spy and daughter living in asylum in England. I honestly don't think we'll hear the last of this.

Edited by Joshi