website statistics

Sports Scandals

bestmen

• 1 month later...

This has been going on for some time now, but I believe it has not been talked about here, and it deserves its own thread so all the members can see how disgusting everything related to the subject is. Former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar has been accused by 150 girls, over two dozen of them female gymnasts -- including four Olympic champions -- of sexually abusing them. Even when these girls were as young as 6 years old. The thing is: USA Gymnastics knew about this and did nothing. They offered former Olympic champion McKayla Maroney 1 million dollars in exchange for her silence. But now other girls have spoken. The International Gymnastics Federation and the International Olympic Committee remain silent on this subject.

Statement by Olympic champion Aly Raisman about USA Gymnastics: https://www.vogue.com/article/aly-raisman-larry-nassar-usa-gymnastics-doesnt-care-about-abuse

Edited by thiago_simoes

33 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This has been going on for some time now, but I believe it has not been talked about here, and it deserves its own thread so all the members can see how disgusting everything related to the subject is. Former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar has been accused by over two dozen female gymnasts -- including four Olympic champions -- of sexually abusing them. Even when these girls were as young as 6 years old. The thing is: USA Gymnastics knew about this and did nothing. They offered former Olympic champion McKayla Maroney 1 million dollars in exchange for her silence. But now other girls have spoken. The International Gymnastics Federation and the International Olympic Committee remain silent on this subject.

Statement by Olympic champion Aly Raisman about USA Gymnastics: https://www.vogue.com/article/aly-raisman-larry-nassar-usa-gymnastics-doesnt-care-about-abuse

One can imagine how a federation might not know about this, people (like Nassar) can be rather intimidating I suppose, leading to nobody saying anything. However, as you said, that's not the case since they did know, and even offering one of them (Olympic champion or not) 1 million dollars (!) to remain silent...that's just sick and in my opinion reason enough to ban USA Gymnastics for quite some time (and of course let the athletes compete in some way, punish the federation, not the athletes). 

Doping is bad, it ruins careers, but this kind of abuse ruins lives, in this case even of little girls. So if doping leads to federations being banned, this deserves at least the same.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Em 20/01/2018 at 09:17, De_Gambassi disse:

If some sports authorities are willing to cover up such things. It makes you think what they would make out of minor (comparatively speaking) things like doping...

And Yes, the IOC should step in.

I've always been suspicious of Biles' Therapeutic Use Exemption, to be honest, but this is more of a pet peeve than anything. Still, I'm not a fan of hers. My heart goes out to her after the horrific situation she has been through, but this doesn't make me a fan of her style and her performances. But I digress. What really bothers me is how overscored American gymnastics are, to the point I simply don't want to watch big competitions anymore because the results never seem fair. Biles is just one of them.

40-175 years in prison, have fun in hell, you freak. Those gangbangers in jail know what to do with a child molester.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/gymnastics/story/_/id/22198997/larry-nassar-sentenced-40-175-years-prison-michigan-judge

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad security didn't turn away for a couple of seconds.