website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2018

AlFHg

Disaster for Australia. Two gymnasts are injured, so they will have to use the alternate and every score will count. They need to be among the top 24 teams in order to try to qualify a team for the 2020 Olympics, and I believe this will be very hard now.

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Disaster for Australia. Two gymnasts are injured, so they will have to use the alternate and every score will count. They need to be among the top 24 teams in order to try to qualify a team for the 2020 Olympics, and I believe this will be very hard now.

They are 4, in the qualification 4 compete and the first 3 highest score are counted so they still have a chance

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Well, I think they should still qualify for next year's team competition as the beast team from Oceania, taking the spot from the team that finish in 23rd or 24th place, since either Egypt or South Africa will also benefit of that same rule in the women's competition.

So in my opinion teams like Mexico are the ones that could pay the price for those two injured gymnasts.

3 horas atrás, mrv86 disse:

Well, I think they should still qualify for next year's team competition as the beast team from Oceania, taking the spot from the team that finish in 23rd or 24th place, since either Egypt or South Africa will also benefit of that same rule in the women's competition.

This is not how things work. Only the top 24 teams qualify to the next World Championships, regardless of what continents they are from. Individual gymnasts are supposed to be qualify through continental quotas, or through the World Cup series, or through the next world championships. There are no continental quotas for the teams.