website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2018

AlFHg

12 minuten geleden, George_D zei:

watch all olympic finals from 2004 to 2016. In 2004 and 2012 Khorkina and Komova should had won

watch also the discussion above

Yes I saw the discussion above, apparently the most knowledgeable people here (definitely not me) were quite clear in Biles being the deserved winner anyway.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, George_D said:

watch all olympic finals from 2004 to 2016. In 2004 and 2012 Khorkina and Komova should had won

We can discuss the other cases, but since 2013 I don't see any other gymnasts coming close to what Biles does.

She had an off day with two falls and a not so great floor exercise. Despite that, she still deserved the title (I guess she was a bit overscored, but in the end wouldn't have made much of a difference). It's not her fault that the system favours difficulty. It's not a great look when a gymnast with a fall wins gold (that also happens frequently in figure skating), but unless FIG changes the code, the win for Biles was fair.

1 hora atrás, George_D disse:

In 2004 there was a problem with the vault table, so the whole event should have been canceled and the final should have been held another day. The problem is that Khorkina fell on vault, then she lost her focus and fell the uneven bars as well, so the problem might have been her lack of mental strength to recover after a problem, and we can't say this is a problem from anyone but herself.

In 2012 Komova had a significant deduction on vault, and she has no one to blame but herself. Douglas is not my favorite gymnast, but she deserved the gold medal.

3 hours ago, bestmen said:

Chineses are technecally great but not elegant that's why she failed 

That's been the case since like forever, Chinese system producing robots, now it's spreading everywhere, power gymnastics has killed the artistic part. It's like going by the PFF numbers to see that Alex Smith is #1 ranked QB. Fuck that, I'll have Rodgers or Brady :lol:

11 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

In 2004 there was a problem with the vault table, so the whole event should have been canceled and the final should have been held another day. The problem is that Khorkina fell on vault, then she lost her focus and fell the uneven bars as well, so the problem might have been her lack of mental strength to recover after a problem, and we can't say this is a problem from anyone but herself.

In 2012 Komova had a significant deduction on vault, and she has no one to blame but herself. Douglas is not my favorite gymnast, but she deserved the gold medal.

really? what about Douglas overscored in uneven bars? just compare her score in qualification and team event final (15.333-15.200) with what she took in AA final (15.733). How he managed to improve 0.400 in so small period?

8 minutos atrás, George_D disse:

really? what about Douglas overscored in uneven bars? just compare her score in qualification and team event final (15.333-15.200) with what she took in AA final (15.733). How he managed to improve 0.400 in so small period?

If a gymnast has a late turn during a pirouette in handstand position, this eats up 0.5 from her score. Maybe she performed a late pirouette two times and nailed it in the all around final? I don't know, really, just a wild guess.