website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Final Review

16 hours ago, orangeman said:

Why was the women's gold medal hockey game at 1pm in the afternoon?

One example of how generic these Games were compared to others: on the slopestyle course in Sochi they put a big nesting doll for character.  It was a great touch.  I was hoping Korea would do something similar, maybe put one of the gates from Seoul in there.  But there was nothing.  No personality at all.  

For the first point, it's really obvious: to have it in prime time in Canada and the US. Which was a good decision IMO, since it was obviously going to be the two countries in the finals.

As to the second point, the slopestyle course in Pyeongchang was way better than in Sochi. I can live with the course having a little less personality (the last jib feature was a nice touch, though). It was arguably one of the best course ever built anywhere, unfortunately it was somewhat ruined by the wind in some of the competitions. Fully agreed the snowboardcross / ski cross course was too dangerous.

Edited by NearPup

On 2/28/2018 at 16:36, heywoodu said:

I'm waiting to hear more about this... :d 

And talking about biathlon with people in real life for the first time....I know, right?! That's such a relief! 

It’s brilliant. I might go to Oslo now  maybe if I have time.

Basically I waved a Russian flag at the Opening Ceremony and everyone wanted to know why, considering I’m American-Czech. It was all very funny.

On 3/4/2018 at 07:26, Nate River said:

For the first point, it's really obvious: to have it in prime time in Canada and the US. Which was a good decision IMO, since it was obviously going to be the two countries in the finals.

As to the second point, the slopestyle course in Pyeongchang was way better than in Sochi. I can live with the course having a little less personality (the last jib feature was a nice touch, though). It was arguably one of the best course ever built anywhere, unfortunately it was somewhat ruined by the wind in some of the competitions. Fully agreed the snowboardcross / ski cross course was too dangerous.

1) Yeah, I know.  But it was still sucky for those of us actually at the Olympics.  

2) The course was technically good.  I was just using it as an example of lack of personality.  

Where do I start with this one :p

I have been fascinated with the Olympics since 2002!! (I was 9 years old at the time). Back then our middle school had video announcements, so during the 2002 Winter Olympics we would record the results of the Olympics and then this would be played throughout the school. At the time I was a young person who really did not understand the magnitude of the Olympic games.Ever since then I have watched every Olympics (religiously, at hours only dedicated fans like us would wake up to do so) till 2016. Around the Rio Olympics I applied to be a volunteer at the 2018 Winter Olympics and I was officially accepted as one in early 2017. These would be the first Olympics I got to see in person! As a volunteer my accommodation was located in Sokcho, which was in the northeast part of the country. The only problem I noticed with the operations was the lack of English speaking and transportation could have been better. However, with pretty much everything being covered for you, this was a great experience! Perhaps a Totallympics team can be in Tokyo and onward as volunteers :p

I was able to see the following events:

-Mixed doubles curling gold medal match (free volunteer ticket)

-Canada vs USA Women's hockey preliminary match

-Canada vs Korea Men's hockey preliminary match

-Short track speed skating sessions on the 17th and 20th - thank you to a friend at the ISU for those tickets! 

I also went to Beijing and Tokyo, so I got to see the next 2 host cities as well :p

eFPhdNJ.jpg
Great of Wall of China

Ie6ys8O.jpg
Seoraksan National Park, Republic of Korea

Edited by intoronto

On 3/5/2018 at 22:42, intoronto said:

Where do I start with this one :p

I have been fascinated with the Olympics since 2002!! (I was 9 years old at the time). Back then our middle school had video announcements, so during the 2002 Winter Olympics we would record the results of the Olympics and then this would be played throughout the school. At the time I was a young person who really did not understand the magnitude of the Olympic games.Ever since then I have watched every Olympics (religiously, at hours only dedicated fans like us would wake up to do so) till 2016. Around the Rio Olympics I applied to be a volunteer at the 2018 Winter Olympics and I was officially accepted as one in early 2017. These would be the first Olympics I got to see in person! As a volunteer my accommodation was located in Sokcho, which was in the northeast part of the country. The only problem I noticed with the operations was the lack of English speaking and transportation could have been better. However, with pretty much everything being covered for you, this was a great experience! Perhaps a Totallympics team can be in Tokyo and onward as volunteers :p

I was able to see the following events:

-Mixed doubles curling gold medal match (free volunteer ticket)

-Canada vs USA Women's hockey preliminary match

-Canada vs Korea Men's hockey preliminary match

-Short track speed skating sessions on the 17th and 20th - thank you to a friend at the ISU for those tickets! 

I also went to Beijing and Tokyo, so I got to see the next 2 host cities as well :p

eFPhdNJ.jpg
Great of Wall of China

Ie6ys8O.jpg
Seoraksan National Park, Republic of Korea

I have a picture of me and my sister in front of that Buddha at Seoraksan that was just re-posted on facebook a couple of days ago.  It's from 2012, although I've been there many times.  I'm glad you had this opportunity, I really like Seokcho.  It was probably my second favourite Korean city after Seoul (though Busan in summer is nice).  It is absolutely lovely there in fall, if anyone ever has the opportunity.  

I've lived in East Asia since 2005, but I'll be moving away this summer (going to Egypt!).  Such bad timing, with all these Olympics coming to this part of the world.  I hope to get to Tokyo 2020, maybe as a volunteer.