Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
dcro

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Final Review

As a spectator, I’ll do it from that angle:

Favorite moments:

Gold medal hockey game/finding a German fan club at the game

15k cross country 

Any short track event

Biathlon women’s relay 

Actually being able to talk to people about biathlon in real life 

Starting pin trading

Getting on the Today Show audience/meeting the US team on it 

Being interviewed by 7 Russian TV channels

The events at Czech House

Meeting the Eurosport biathlon commentators

Getting Koshechkin’s autograph 

Randomly meeting like 5 exotic athletes

Being able to use discounts I’m not really eligible for :) 

Disappointments:

Opening ceremony- so freezing

Buses- not enough in times of high demand, often waited an hour

That I barely caught Ledecka’s medal ceremony (I ran in as the anthem was playing)

The lack of atmosphere at some events 

Struggling to understand volunteers 

That I couldn’t resell tickets because I’m not Korean

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Getting on the Today Show audience/meeting the US team on it 

Being interviewed by 7 Russian TV channels

Randomly meeting like 5 exotic athletes

Being able to use discounts I’m not really eligible for :) 

I'm waiting to hear more about this... :d 

And talking about biathlon with people in real life for the first time....I know, right?! That's such a relief! 

Edited by heywoodu
  • Like 1

В 27.02.2018 в 16:18, intoronto сказал:

My comment had nothing to do with atmosphere.

Look at 2022 bid process. Many cities withdrew because of Sochi's cost. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/10/28/stockholm-regrets-withdrawal-of-2022-games-bid/18057133/

OMG You are a typical anti-Russian propagandist. Russians always and everywhere are to blame. Give another link to the New York Times :d

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dimast said:

OMG You are a typical anti-Russian propagandist. Russians always and everywhere are to blame. Give another link to the New York Times :d

Last I checked I had no control over why these cities withdrew 

On 2/27/2018 at 17:46, intoronto said:

Sochi's artifical $51 billion dollar games were the worst games ever. They runied the Olympics and no one wants the games because of them.

That price tag includes building the whole city, though.  They were also building resorts, an F1 track and preparing for the arrival of a KHL team.  This is why adding up the costs of the Olympics is always so difficult, because a lot of these projects sometimes would have been done anyway (i.e. new highways or train lines, like the KTX to the east coast in Korea).  I do agree that people didn't want to host the Olympics after seeing these price tags, but it's really short sighted.  It's like saying, "I'm never buying a house because my sister bought one for a million dollars and I don't have a million dollars!"  Maybe you should buy a house, maybe you shouldn't.  But you don't have to buy a million dollar house to be a home owner.  

• Like 2

My short review:

I was excited for these WOG because I lived in Korea for a long time and witnessed the lead up to it first-hand.  It really did seem like Korea and Koreans were really into it.  I did get to go to these Games, my first one ever, but just the last weekend.  Before that, just watching on my computer, I have to say it didn't feel as exciting as past ones.  Even on screen there seemed to be a total lack of atmosphere.  As others have said, the scheduling didn't help either.  Nothing for hours and then 10 things at once.  It just didn't make sense to me, either.  Why was the women's gold medal hockey game at 1pm in the afternoon?  Why was the final night of short track on Thursday instead of Friday (or Saturday), especially since that's the biggest sport in Korea.  Putting qualification and finals in many snowboard and freestyle events ended with having disappointing finals.  And I was getting really sick of seeing snowboarders, and to a lesser extent skiers, falling down and getting injured every single run during the cross races.  It's the Olympics, not Death Race 2000.  

One example of how generic these Games were compared to others: on the slopestyle course in Sochi they put a big nesting doll for character.  It was a great touch.  I was hoping Korea would do something similar, maybe put one of the gates from Seoul in there.  But there was nothing.  No personality at all.  

Visiting was awesome, of course.  I said in the 'experiences' thread that it did seem a bit bland and quiet, though.  The volunteers were amazing!  Transportation was efficient and there were no problems at all.  I don't know if my past in Korea helped me, but I think it was pretty straight forward for everyone.  I only went to the Gangneung "coastal" cluster, though.  

As a Canadian, it was overall good.  I mean, we won the most medals ever for our country and most non-home golds.  But it was also strange because we did so poorly in hockey and curling (well, our women's hockey team did fine, it's hard to get closer than the 6th round of a shootout).  It's also weird because many of our favourites under-performed, while other athletes stepped up to glory.  I looked at infostrada and while they got our total medal count pretty close (though totally underestimating the golds), many of the names were different than reality.  

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, orangeman said:

Why was the women's gold medal hockey game at 1pm in the afternoon?

One example of how generic these Games were compared to others: on the slopestyle course in Sochi they put a big nesting doll for character.  It was a great touch.  I was hoping Korea would do something similar, maybe put one of the gates from Seoul in there.  But there was nothing.  No personality at all.  

For the first point, it's really obvious: to have it in prime time in Canada and the US. Which was a good decision IMO, since it was obviously going to be the two countries in the finals.

As to the second point, the slopestyle course in Pyeongchang was way better than in Sochi. I can live with the course having a little less personality (the last jib feature was a nice touch, though). It was arguably one of the best course ever built anywhere, unfortunately it was somewhat ruined by the wind in some of the competitions. Fully agreed the snowboardcross / ski cross course was too dangerous.

Edited by Nate River

On 2/28/2018 at 16:36, heywoodu said:

I'm waiting to hear more about this... :d 

And talking about biathlon with people in real life for the first time....I know, right?! That's such a relief! 

It’s brilliant. I might go to Oslo now  maybe if I have time.

Basically I waved a Russian flag at the Opening Ceremony and everyone wanted to know why, considering I’m American-Czech. It was all very funny.

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2018 at 07:26, Nate River said:

For the first point, it's really obvious: to have it in prime time in Canada and the US. Which was a good decision IMO, since it was obviously going to be the two countries in the finals.

As to the second point, the slopestyle course in Pyeongchang was way better than in Sochi. I can live with the course having a little less personality (the last jib feature was a nice touch, though). It was arguably one of the best course ever built anywhere, unfortunately it was somewhat ruined by the wind in some of the competitions. Fully agreed the snowboardcross / ski cross course was too dangerous.

1) Yeah, I know.  But it was still sucky for those of us actually at the Olympics.  

2) The course was technically good.  I was just using it as an example of lack of personality.  

Posted (edited)

Where do I start with this one :p

I have been fascinated with the Olympics since 2002!! (I was 9 years old at the time). Back then our middle school had video announcements, so during the 2002 Winter Olympics we would record the results of the Olympics and then this would be played throughout the school. At the time I was a young person who really did not understand the magnitude of the Olympic games.Ever since then I have watched every Olympics (religiously, at hours only dedicated fans like us would wake up to do so) till 2016. Around the Rio Olympics I applied to be a volunteer at the 2018 Winter Olympics and I was officially accepted as one in early 2017. These would be the first Olympics I got to see in person! As a volunteer my accommodation was located in Sokcho, which was in the northeast part of the country. The only problem I noticed with the operations was the lack of English speaking and transportation could have been better. However, with pretty much everything being covered for you, this was a great experience! Perhaps a Totallympics team can be in Tokyo and onward as volunteers :p

I was able to see the following events:

-Mixed doubles curling gold medal match (free volunteer ticket)

-Canada vs USA Women's hockey preliminary match

-Canada vs Korea Men's hockey preliminary match

-Short track speed skating sessions on the 17th and 20th - thank you to a friend at the ISU for those tickets! 

I also went to Beijing and Tokyo, so I got to see the next 2 host cities as well :p

eFPhdNJ.jpg
Great of Wall of China

Ie6ys8O.jpg
Seoraksan National Park, Republic of Korea

Edited by intoronto
  • Like 6

On 3/5/2018 at 22:42, intoronto said:

Where do I start with this one :p

I have been fascinated with the Olympics since 2002!! (I was 9 years old at the time). Back then our middle school had video announcements, so during the 2002 Winter Olympics we would record the results of the Olympics and then this would be played throughout the school. At the time I was a young person who really did not understand the magnitude of the Olympic games.Ever since then I have watched every Olympics (religiously, at hours only dedicated fans like us would wake up to do so) till 2016. Around the Rio Olympics I applied to be a volunteer at the 2018 Winter Olympics and I was officially accepted as one in early 2017. These would be the first Olympics I got to see in person! As a volunteer my accommodation was located in Sokcho, which was in the northeast part of the country. The only problem I noticed with the operations was the lack of English speaking and transportation could have been better. However, with pretty much everything being covered for you, this was a great experience! Perhaps a Totallympics team can be in Tokyo and onward as volunteers :p

I was able to see the following events:

-Mixed doubles curling gold medal match (free volunteer ticket)

-Canada vs USA Women's hockey preliminary match

-Canada vs Korea Men's hockey preliminary match

-Short track speed skating sessions on the 17th and 20th - thank you to a friend at the ISU for those tickets! 

I also went to Beijing and Tokyo, so I got to see the next 2 host cities as well :p

eFPhdNJ.jpg
Great of Wall of China

Ie6ys8O.jpg
Seoraksan National Park, Republic of Korea

I have a picture of me and my sister in front of that Buddha at Seoraksan that was just re-posted on facebook a couple of days ago.  It's from 2012, although I've been there many times.  I'm glad you had this opportunity, I really like Seokcho.  It was probably my second favourite Korean city after Seoul (though Busan in summer is nice).  It is absolutely lovely there in fall, if anyone ever has the opportunity.  

I've lived in East Asia since 2005, but I'll be moving away this summer (going to Egypt!).  Such bad timing, with all these Olympics coming to this part of the world.  I hope to get to Tokyo 2020, maybe as a volunteer.  

• Like 1