website statistics

Track Cycling UCI World Championships 2018

Totallympics

Sadly there is no elimination race, unless the one run in the omnium competitions. I wonder why, as it probably is the most spectacular race, in my personal opinion. 

However, can't wait for the start. Italy is going to take parts in almost every event and finally it looks like we have returned to be a reference nation, at least in the endurance :d

I am very surprised to see Stefan Bötticher back, never dreamt of this happening, amazing news for german cycling. For me its a scandal that he wasnt allowed to compete individually here, but i guess some people were afraid of him, especially since the situation wasnt much different than the situation we had with Bos last year.

On the other hand i am very sad that Max Niederlag ended his career, but if you cant motivate yourself anymore its better to end your career than to take away a spot from a motivated athlete. Domenic Weinstein, by far the most important athlete of the german team pursuit team wont compete due to illness, so if Germany ever had a small medal chance in this event, the chance is gone now.

German expectations:

2 x gold in womens sprint/keirin

Medal in womens team sprint

Medal in mens team sprint

Every other medal in an olympic discipline would be a surprise, unless Eilers finally gets his shit together in Keirin ...

With 2 more golds here Kristina Vogel could tie Anna Mears' record of 11 gold medals. Doing it at 27 years of age would make it even more impressive in my opinion. If she continues her dominance until 2020, she could very well put the record out of everyone's reach for a very long time.

I am really looking forward to see whether Pauline Grabosch can do some damage here.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

7 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Sadly there is no elimination race, unless the one run in the omnium competitions. I wonder why, as it probably is the most spectacular race, in my personal opinion. 

However, can't wait for the start. Italy is going to take parts in almost every event and finally it looks like we have returned to be a reference nation, at least in the endurance :d

The elimination race is great to watch. I imagine the UCI doesn't want another long distance event, especially one that would be around the same distance as the scratch race, even if the strategies within the events are different.

36 minuti fa, JoshMartini007 ha scritto:

The elimination race is great to watch. I imagine the UCI doesn't want another long distance event, especially one that would be around the same distance as the scratch race, even if the strategies within the events are different.

I'm surprised most of all that UCI doesn't complain with IOC for low number of events in track cycling. Potentially, track cycling (and cycling in general) could be as popular as athletics or acquatics, and it will definitely deserve more medal events

hace 7 minutos, AlFHg said:

I'm surprised most of all that UCI doesn't complain with IOC for low number of events in track cycling. Potentially, track cycling (and cycling in general) could be as popular as athletics or acquatics, and it will definitely deserve more medal events

I agree, but I think they see road as the money-maker. There's a reason guys like Gaviria leave track (and he's killing it in road so it's hard to fault him).

I will be paying close attention to the keirin, of course.

10 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Athletics and aquatics are much more popular than track cycling

Adesso, JoshMartini007 ha scritto:

Athletics and aquatics are much more popular than track cycling

True, and it essentially for two main reasons:

1) you don't need specific structures for practicing it (at least at lower levels)

2) no great "characters" exist in cycling, and especially in track cycling

If UCI cannot do anything for the first, then it should work on the second: add medal events in the programme of world championships and world cup so that three/four athletes can be rivals in 5/6 different sports. That is how popularity starts, according to me

1 minute ago, AlFHg said:

True, and it essentially for two main reasons:

1) you don't need specific structures for practicing it (at least at lower levels)

2) no great "characters" exist in cycling, and especially in track cycling

If UCI cannot do anything for the first, then it should work on the second: add medal events in the programme of world championships and world cup so that three/four athletes can be rivals in 5/6 different sports. That is how popularity starts, according to me

Characters very much exist especially in road cycling, but yeah, in track cycling it's all a bit smaller in terms of attention. Maybe because there's so few big events, like I get the feeling at half the World Cups it's mostly the C-level riders who even are there. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!