website statistics

South American Games 2018

vinipereira

2 minutos atrás, konig disse:

They have stopped the transmission. But I discovered that the official page of the Organización Deportiva Suramericana on Facebook is streaming. Thanks for the reply.

Just a fun fact. Graziela Paulino (who won the women's individual recurve in archery) is indigenous.

In 2016, the athlete from Amazon tried to be the first indigenous person to represent Brazil in the Olympic Games, but didn't qualify. Maybe she has a chance for 2020...

graziela.png

5 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Many more to come with Diving, Boxing, Wrestling... they'll definitely finish in first place.

I hope your sport managmente understand to this games mustn be understimate, Brazil needs to send more and better athletes to defeat Colombia in Asuncion 2022.

7 minutes ago, konig said:

I hope your sport managmente understand to this games mustn be understimate, Brazil needs to send more and better athletes to defeat Colombia in Asuncion 2022.

I personally like the decision to send less athletes and weaker teams in many sports, but I just don't understand how we are represented by "B" teams (or didn't even send athletes) for sports we're just "okay" (like Boxing, Cycling, Diving, Artistic Swimming, Rowing, Weightlifting etc). For me, we should always have "A" teams in sports in which we're far from the best, even if we don't win golds.

7 horas atrás, konig disse:

Not gonna happen. Virtually no one knows about the South American Games in Brazil. The major TV networks ignored the event, and not even channels on cable TV are broadcasting. It's like it just never existed. Why would the federations care about a competition virtually no one cares about around here? Too bad, I know, but unfortunately I can't see things changing in the near future, unless we host the Games in 2026. 

Like @vinipereira said, this is mostly seen as a competition for lesser known or beginner athletes, and I have to say I also like it this way. If we send out best athletes, I believe the results will not be exciting. In gymnastics, for example, we sent our best gymnasts and so far we have 16 of 21 gold medals. Of course we have world class gymnasts from other nations (such as Tomás González from Chile and Jossimar Calvo from Colombia), but even they can't keep up with the Brazilian athletes. The best thing that happened was Dominici beating two Olympic finalists and earning gold, but this was the only good surprise of the whole competition, in my opinion.