website statistics

South American Games 2018

vinipereira

hace 59 minutos, thiago_simoes said:

If we send out best athletes, I believe the results will not be exciting. In gymnastics, for example, we sent our best gymnasts and so far we have 16 of 21 gold medals. Of course we have world class gymnasts from other nations (such as Tomás González from Chile and Jossimar Calvo from Colombia), but even they can't keep up with the Brazilian athletes. The best thing that happened was Dominici beating two Olympic finalists and earning gold, but this was the only good surprise of the whole competition, in my opinion.

Ok, but that's just one sport. If anything, the other nations are reducing the gap in most sports. I only see Judo as one where Brazil could still sweep most golds assuming everyone came here with the best.

7 minutos atrás, LDOG disse:

Ok, but that's just one sport. If anything, the other nations are reducing the gap in most sports. I only see Judo as one where Brazil could still sweep most golds assuming everyone came here with the best.

I'd say judo, swimming, gymnastics (especially rhythmic), table tennis, volleyball and beach volleyball. We could easily have 50+ gold medals on these sports if we brought our best athletes. 

hace 19 minutos, thiago_simoes said:

I'd say judo, swimming, gymnastics (especially rhythmic), table tennis, volleyball and beach volleyball. We could easily have 50+ gold medals on these sports if we brought our best athletes. 

Only judo would be a radical increase. Volley is just 4 medals anyway and I think the swimming golds wouldn't increase if Argentina also takes the best team. Actually I think you would have 1 or 2 less.

8 horas atrás, LDOG disse:

Only judo would be a radical increase. Volley is just 4 medals anyway and I think the swimming golds wouldn't increase if Argentina also takes the best team. Actually I think you would have 1 or 2 less.

Wait, has Argentina drastically improved in swimming? I don't follow smaller competitions in swimming, but at the world championships and at the Olympics, Brazilian athletes always get medals while Argentina never makes a strong impression (except for Grabich in 2015). I'd be truly surprised if in a head to head competition against the best swimmers from Argentina our swimmers managed to perform worse than the newcomers performed here against not so great athletes.

hace 27 minutos, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, has Argentina drastically improved in swimming? I don't follow smaller competitions in swimming, but at the world championships and at the Olympics, Brazilian athletes always get medals while Argentina never makes a strong impression (except for Grabich in 2015). I'd be truly surprised if in a head to head competition against the best swimmers from Argentina our swimmers managed to perform worse than the newcomers performed here against not so great athletes.

Yes, but that doesn't mean Brazil is better in every swimming event...

I think that with everyone's A team and compared to the results of this games, Brazil would gain golds in men's breaststroke + medley and female free short distances but would lose the golds in female breastroke and men's butterfly (possibly the female 200fly too). And the female medley would become 50/50. So, all in all the results wouldn't change much.

3 horas atrás, LDOG disse:

Yes, but that doesn't mean Brazil is better in every swimming event...

I think that with everyone's A team and compared to the results of this games, Brazil would gain golds in men's breaststroke + medley and female free short distances but would lose the golds in female breastroke and men's butterfly (possibly the female 200fly too). And the female medley would become 50/50. So, all in all the results wouldn't change much.

No way! We have two swimmers for 51 in the 100 butterfly and Argentina never had one. In the 200 butterfly we have swimmer for 1:54 and Argentina never had one under 1:58. The South American record of the 200 female butterfly is from Joana Maranhão (2:09'22) made last year and Virginia is argentine record holder with 2:11'04. Argentina would probably win the medals of 100 and 200 breast in addition to the 400, 800 and 1500 free. Virginia always participates in the Brazilian Championship and can never get close to Joana. She would probably fight for silver in the medley races with Gabriele Roncatto.

hace 31 minutos, titicow said:

No way! We have two swimmers for 51 in the 100 butterfly and Argentina never had one. In the 200 butterfly we have swimmer for 1:54 and Argentina never had one under 1:58. The South American record of the 200 female butterfly is from Joana Maranhão (2:09'22) made last year and Virginia is argentine record holder with 2:11'04. Argentina would probably win the medals of 100 and 200 breast in addition to the 400, 800 and 1500 free. Virginia always participates in the Brazilian Championship and can never get close to Joana. She would probably fight for silver in the medley races with Gabriele Roncatto.

I was actually thinking of Subirats in the butterfly, but after posting I remembered he retired. So yeah.

Colombia is winning all golds in Boxing so first place is probably secured with Brazil im second.

It will be interesting to see who will end in 3rd, 4th and 5th, since Argentina, Chile and Venezuela are pretty close. It seems like Chile will be 5th, and Argentina and Venezuela will fight for 3rd.