website statistics

South American Games 2018

vinipereira

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Some of those seem odd, as they offer Qualification for the 2019 Pan Am Games

I think only those will offer qualification (and Brazil is sending athletes in all of them): Athletics, Bowling, Cycling, Field Hockey, Handball, Karate, Modern Pentathlon, Rugby Sevens, Shooting, Swimming, Triathlon, Wrestling.

Equestrian/Racquetball also offer qualification slots. Especially equestrian (only for dressage/jumping, as eventing won't be held there) is concerning as its the only way Brazil can qualify a team outright (unless reallocation happen, which is likely to happen). Brazil has never competed in racquetball at the Pan Am Games, so no big loss there.

32 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Equestrian/Racquetball also offer qualification slots. Especially equestrian (only for dressage/jumping, as eventing won't be held there) is concerning as its the only way Brazil can qualify a team outright (unless reallocation happen, which is likely to happen). Brazil has never competed in racquetball at the Pan Am Games, so no big loss there.

Actually, I've checked and it looks like equestrian will have its special South American qualifier in November. Reason is probably Bolivia.

#banbestmen

6 hours ago, dcro said:

Actually, I've checked and it looks like equestrian will have its special South American qualifier in November. Reason is probably Bolivia.

Florencia Manfredi told me that she wont participate and many important equestrians wont do it because it doesnt qualify to the Panamerican Games and the 2600m altitude

8 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Brazil is sending 315 athletes to the Games, only the 7th nation in number of athletes. The relatively small number of athletes is due to the fact we're only sending athletes for 33 of the 46 sports, and that includes only a few team sports. The main goal is to achieve qualification for the Pan American Games next year in many sports.

Unless something changes at the last minute, Brazil won't participate in:

Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Equestrian
Football
Futsal
Pelota Vasca
Racquetball
Speed Skating
Squash
Tennis
Volleyball
Water Polo
Waterski

The no participation in Beach Volleyball bugs me a little. They could send some youth pairs to gain some experience in multi-sports games.

Is sad to see the understimation of Brazil to this tournament.

hace 40 minutos, konig said:

You are rigth but its only Brazil which made this, all the rest send their best in most of the sports.

That's not true, we aren't sending the best in like half of the sports.

By the way, in a very surprising turn of events, tyc sports will be showing the games live here :yikes:obviously they do it because they have nothing to show or talk about now that the football league ended last weekend and before the world cup starts... but it's something.