website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2018

hckošice

22 minuti fa, nenad ha scritto:

Pretty stupid rule that after 162 reg season games you don't have some tibreaker rules and you have to play one additional match just for seeding purposes

no, that's a great rule...this is the best way to create hype to the post-season...

and it's always better to have a real game than using some unfair criteria (considered the fact that all the teams don't play the same number of games against each other during the RS)...

as it is for the wild card games...they are highly unfair (a single elimination match after 162/163 RS games), but they are at the same time the most exciting moment of the playoffs (apart from possible games 5/7 in the division/league/world series)...;)

by the way, October to me is one of the most beautiful months of the year...MLB playoffs + NHL start of the season...I just couldn't ask for more (only for what concerns my sports obsession, of course)...:bounce:

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, that's a great rule...this is the best way to create hype to the post-season...

and it's always better to have a real game than using some unfair criteria (considered the fact that all the teams don't play the same number of games against each other during the RS)...

That is stupid :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, phelps said:

as it is for the wild card games...they are highly unfair (a single elimination match after 162/163 RS games), but they are at the same time the most exciting moment of the playoffs (apart from possible games 5/7 in the division/league/world series)...;)

by the way, October to me is one of the most beautiful months of the year...MLB playoffs + NHL start of the season...I just couldn't ask for more (only for what concerns my sports obsession, of course)...:bounce:

I disagree, h2h record should decide, I mean they played like 20gms against each other and they need one more.. 

Wc gms also, Oakland have to fly all the way to NYC for a single elimination game.. 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

That's how it is in all of the Big 4 leagues in North America...

I am aware of that. Doesn't make it any less stupid :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I am aware of that. Doesn't make it any less stupid :d

It's really not necessary for everything to be completely equal with 162 games... :p Same as in chess, where in those 200-player tournaments nobody plays everyone.

#banbestmen

27 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's really not necessary for everything to be completely equal with 162 games... :p Same as in chess, where in those 200-player tournaments nobody plays everyone.

So have less games :lol:

Come on, it can't be that difficult to make sure at least the handful of teams in division X have the same opponents, so they don't need some extra game because they can't break a tie after a ridiculous amount of games.

Besides, like @nenad said, Cubs/Brewers and Dodgers/Rockies played each other 20 times this season. Surely there is a possiblity to break a tie there?

Edited by heywoodu

Here's a breakdown of all the teams that were playing yesterday with a head to head comparison of their schedules.

Team H2H ARI ATL CIN COL LAD MIA NYM PHI PIT SD SF STL WSH CHW CLE DET KCR MIN Other
Chicago Cubs 20 7 6 19 6 7 7 7 6 19 7 6 19 7 6 4 4 3 3 0
Milwaukee 20 6 7 19 7 7 7 7 6 19 6 7 19 6 3 4 3 4 6 0

The only significant difference is that the Cubs play the Chicago White Sox three more times that Milwaukee while Milwaukee plays Minnesota 3 more times. However, both are teams that weren't close to making the playoffs so they shouldn't affect their record too much. Every other opponent is either the same number of games or give or take one. Let's look at the other matchup.

Team H2H ARI ATL CHC CIN MIA MIL NYM PHI PIT SD SF STL WSH HOU LAA OAK SEA TEX Other
Colorado  20 19 7 6 6 6 7 7 7 6 19 19 7 7 4 4 3 6 3 0
LA Dodgers 20 19 7 7 7 6 7 6 7 6 19 19 7 6 3 6 4 3 4 0

Once again, not so much of a difference between the schedules.

I think in this case, having a tie-breaker game is justified. Yes, they could just use head to head records as a tie breaker but it would most surely get criticism from fans of the team who lost the head to head series and other baseball fans. A head to head record would ensure it would be more fair and besides, head to head record was used to determine the home team.

Edited by Topicmaster1010

7 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

So I think in this case, having a tie-breaker game is justified. Yes, they could just use head to head records as a tie breaker but it would most surely get criticism from fans of the team who lost the head to head series and other baseball fans. A head to head record would ensure it would be more fair and besides, head to head record was used to determine the home team.

Which I can imagine would get a lot of criticism from the 'losing' team of course :p

Nobody wants a fair way to decide it if that means it ends up the wrong way for them :d