website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Daily Reviews

It was a OK day, I really enjoyed the short track speed skating finals and ski jumping, despite the problems of each event. 

Speed skating was more of the same: Netherlands winning all the medals, it was not such an exciting competition.
I personally do not like Biathlon and Cross Country Skiing, so I did not watch both.
I was sad for Korea in hockey, I know they are weak, but I hoped for a decent result.

Crosscountry skiing: I enjoyed it. It was great to see lots of different nations in the top ten (I think the top 8 came from 7 different countries) and although Stadlober faded away a bit at the end I was also happy with the result, especially the gold medal. 

Luge: The difficult track causes really good racing. I'm usually not a big fan of this sport since I have the feeling the guys who are predicted to perform well never ever make mistakes but this time it's a bit different. Also an Austrian is currently 2nd so we might get a medal despite Kindl not performing well. 

Biathlon: Meh. The battle for the 1st place was never really close and since the women who potentially could have challenged Dahlmeier all messed up their last shooting they never even got close to the medal positions which is why there was basically never any excitement outside the shooting range. 

Ski jumping: I've already written this in the ski jumping thread, I missed the final because I recorded the event but due to the delays my recording ended before the last athletes came down. :mad:

Besides, I'm also not very happy with the result. I can't imagine how bad this must feel for polish ski jumping fans, and as an Austrian I of course also cannot be happy about a German winning a gold medal, especially because they already had one. 

The shorttrack final was enjoyable to watch but for someone like me who doesn't care that much for this sport nothing special and I missed the speed skating. So all in all mediocre day. Hoping for the first Austrian medals tomorrow.

il y a 5 minutes, Quasit a déclaré:

Extremely worrying for my favourites Norway, Canada and France, although Norway doing well if we consider the North American medal ranking...

Ok no surpises and a deception.

But we're actually on the tracks. Just lost a silver(according to prédictions) but that can be catch in other sports like ski/snowboard cross where we are not favourites

Just now, Federer91 said:

Today was a very good day, with two dominators like Fourcade and Loch, not only not winning Gold, but no medal at all. :cheer: Plus all finals were interesting and there wasn't a dull event for me. :)

Agreed! Plus I'm happy I didn't sleep through the men's downhill again like in 2014!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 5 minutes, Federer91 a déclaré:

Today was a very good day, with two dominators like Fourcade and Loch, not only not winning Gold, but no medal at all. :cheer: Plus all finals were interesting and there wasn't a dull event for me. :)

He's used to underperformed at sprints (martin) at big events

But for next I think he will take 2 golds or even more (unless flagbearer maledction strikes)

Edited by cypher

il y a 42 minutes, Quasit a déclaré:

Extremely worrying for my favourites Norway, Canada and France, although Norway doing well if we consider the North American medal ranking...

Not very worrying for France ... the tally expected today was 2 medals, we have 1 :d

Unless you predicted other medals on saturday and sunday than Fourcade and Laffont

il y a 6 minutes, SalamAkhi a déclaré:

Not very worrying for France ... the tally expected today was 2 medals, we have 1 :d

Unless you predicted other medals on saturday and sunday than Fourcade and Laffont

Between every outsiders (~6 biathletes), Fauconnet, and Manificat  Most of them had only relative small chances, but three medals by today could have been on the cards.

another day that could have been more enjoyable...

no alpine skiing men's downhill...and this was the first disappointing fact of the day...

then it came the slopestyle final...and frankly I expected a bit more from it...there were too few great runs to match my (high) expectations...

speedskating...Kramer's gold was never in doubt...so, the most exciting moments came from Bloemen vs Pedersen fight for the other medals...

and also Peter Michael did show some exciting last laps, raising the atmosphere...unfortunately, he missed out on the medals for a relatively small margin...

from an Italian perspective, the race was just a disaster...only Tumulero had a decent performance, but still he didn't get even close to the podium places...

having said of the painful (but exciting) end of the luge event, at least I can be happy for Dominik Windisch and our Biathlon movement...

he finally got a quite unexpected bronze medal, that has almost the flavour of gold...well done, man...

and this is the highlight of my day #2, of course...

no joy came from on the men's CC skiing either...it wasn't such an entertaining race as the women's...moreover, watching a Norwegian sweep was quite depressing..and thinking of Sundby making the podium was even worse (at least he didn't win the Gold medal)...

I haven't seen the women's Moguls final, yet...

but probably I'm gonna watch it later today...so...no comment for now...

that's it for day #2...and to be honest, I don't expect tomorrow to be more exciting than today or yesterday...

the scheduling is so bad that I just can't feel that Olympic emotion flowing constantly through the whole day...

every day so far looks just a normal winter day with some highlight at a certain hour of the day...and stop...

I've never felt so "down" during the Olympics since I have memory of the Games (once again, I'm referring to Sarajevo 1984, my first Olympics...when I was 10 years young...a long, long time ago)...:(:facepalm:

Edited by phelps