website statistics

Volleyball 2016 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

well,well with best team it looks great. Only first set was diaster. Boskovic is even better now. Lol, I thought that can't be better after great last year. I hope that we can fight for bronze in Rio, of course we can play better than this, but we will see.

Out of curiousity: how much is the World League "alive" in volleyball-loving countries this year? I mean, isn't it basically just a warm-up for the Olympics like the Champions Trophy in field hockey for most nations? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Out of curiousity: how much is the World League "alive" in volleyball-loving countries this year? I mean, isn't it basically just a warm-up for the Olympics like the Champions Trophy in field hockey for most nations? 

Yep, that's basically what it is in olympic year, at least here in Poland. Last time, in 2012 most countries completely did not care about the tournament, so now FIVB figured they will make them care by creating additional rules, like the one i mentioned earlier. Sure many people watch the tournament, but for most people the results aren't that important, as both the fans and the media - everyone cares about the Olympics now. some are even openly suggesting we should not fight hard until the finals, as we are hosts. There are some countries for which this is important tournament, but they did not advance to Olympic Games. The matches will probably still be pretty interesting, but it's no secret that even for the coaches/players most important will be not to get anyone injured. Overall I would say the tournament is interesting to the fans of volley here, but not important in terms of results.

Edited by VolleyRuller96

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

Now it's time for the second team debut in the first group - Belgium :) The Argentinians put yesterday a very good show against USA so I hope the Belgians will also fight against Australia.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

For me the tournament is very important, because Bulgaria didn't qualify for the Olympics and this is the only time our team will play till the rest of the year which is pretty sad. But as other countries, we will use the World League for training. I mean we are in some "team players change" and the top guys like Todor Aleksiev, Niki Nikolov are not playing. I'm hoping for a good showing. Later we will play with Poland. I hope we can beat them. I heard that Kurek was called and will be in Kaliningrad. We'll see what will happen.

RuICeMK.png

TWF Universal Champion

2x TWF Universal Champion - 69 days

Pretty boring game between Australia and Belgium. The latter was definitely a better side, but in my personal opinion they played against the weakest team in first group. At least the hall was packed and the atmosphere at both matches in Sydney was good. ( I am just watching Netherlands vs Slovakia on Youtube and there are lterally max. 50 fans in the hall... but well, after euro 2009 it is well known that there is basically no interest in mens volleyball in Turkey, unless NT is playing or a club has really nice results. Pity for the guys there though...