website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2018

heywoodu

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Bottas has proven to be a reliable back-up in a championship team though :)

Like 50 other drivers could be in a car like that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

45 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Like 50 other drivers could be in a car like that.

Don't think so tbh. The likes of Hartley, Sirotkin or Stroll wouldn't have even won a race in that car. It would have been more one-sided than Alonso/Vandoorne in a McLaren.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Don't think so tbh. The likes of Hartley, Sirotkin or Stroll wouldn't have even won a race in that car. It would have been more one-sided than Alonso/Vandoorne in a McLaren.

Now you're naming the other extremes :d 

Well, Hartley to be fair is a very good driver, I just think F1 is not the right car for him. In the current field alone I think Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Magnussen, Alonso, Perez, Sainz, Ocon, Gasly, Grosjean and Leclerc all have more potential than Bottas. 

I hope Vandoorne gets another chance in a different car one day, he has shown in GP2 what he's capable of. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now you're naming the other extremes :d 

Well, Hartley to be fair is a very good driver, I just think F1 is not the right car for him. In the current field alone I think Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Magnussen, Alonso, Perez, Sainz, Ocon, Gasly, Grosjean and Leclerc all have more potential than Bottas. 

I hope Vandoorne gets another chance in a different car one day, he has shown in GP2 what he's capable of. 

Well, you said 50 drivers so I guess the entire F2 field would also match Bottas? Now that is extreme.

Hartley is NOT a good F1 driver. He was rightfully kicked out of Red Bull programme years back and only lucked into a return when the juniors run out. Guys like Buemi and Vergne would do a better job IMO and that's just off the top of my head.

Grosjean's repeated crashes makes him a liability, he basically threw away Haas' 4th place in the standings this season. Bottas has had less crashes in his entire F1 career that Grosjean had this season.

Edited by Monzanator

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, you said 50 drivers so I guess the entire F2 field would also match Bottas? Now that is extreme.

Russell, Albon, Markelov, to name just three, and then we haven't even started looking into other classes yet. Maybe 50 is too much, I just meant to say Bottas is in my opinion not much more than just a good driver. Good, but nothing special or irreplaceable (although since he seems perfectly fine with being Hamilton's defender instead of going for it on his own, I guess he's irreplaceable from that point of view :p ).

Hartley is NOT a good F1 driver. He was rightfully kicked out of Red Bull programme years back and only lucked into a return when the juniors run out. Guys like Buemi and Vergne would do a better job IMO and that's just off the top of my head.

Yep, basically what I said. Hartley has proven to be a very good driver, F1 (or single seaters in general) is just not the right car for him.

Grosjean has more potential than Bottas, but yes, he's too unstable and inconsistent. Which is a shame, because he's got a ton of speed.

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Russell, Albon, Markelov, to name just three, and then we haven't even started looking into other classes yet. Maybe 50 is too much, I just meant to say Bottas is in my opinion not much more than just a good driver. Good, but nothing special or irreplaceable (although since he seems perfectly fine with being Hamilton's defender instead of going for it on his own, I guess he's irreplaceable from that point of view :p ).

Yep, basically what I said. Hartley has proven to be a very good driver, F1 (or single seaters in general) is just not the right car for him.

Grosjean has more potential than Bottas, but yes, he's too unstable and inconsistent. Which is a shame, because he's got a ton of speed.

Albon doesn't convince me at all. I've mentioned how Markelov's in his 5th season already, he'd never gotten this far back in the F3000 days and still be serious about F1 (well, other than his money).

Endurance racing makes 95% of drivers look good. Even John Winter won Le Mans and Tracy fuckin' Krohn won a Grand-Am race outright.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Albon doesn't convince me at all. I've mentioned how Markelov's in his 5th season already, he'd never gotten this far back in the F3000 days and still be serious about F1 (well, other than his money).

Endurance racing makes 95% of drivers look good. Even John Winter won Le Mans and Tracy fuckin' Krohn won a Grand-Am race outright.

Still better than Stroll :d 

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler

tenor.gif