website statistics

Men's Tennis Davis Cup 2018

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, I've seen awful plans being accepted (like getting rid of the possibilty of absolute epic matches since even a 5th set goes to tie breaks now), but this is probably the single worst plan I've ever seen in tennis and one of the worst plans I've seen in the entire world of sports. 

Where will the regular David Cup ties during the year be held with that plan? And for which goal? Surely not every important match will be held in one week somewhere in November? 

Players wanted this. I heard about this a few years ago,several players complained about the schedule and it looks like the ITF accepted it.

It will be like world team championship. Like in badminton for example or table tennis.

Edited by dareza

40 minutes ago, dareza said:

Players wanted this. I heard about this a few years ago,several players complained about the schedule and it looks like the ITF accepted it.

It will be like world team championship. Like in badminton for example or table tennis.

So after losing epic long 5 set battles, we'll also lose one of the main things that make the Davis Cup so good? Being the feeling of really having national teams battle each other, with one team having a home advantage. I guess it will all be some neutral venue now, where people don't care about 17 of the 18 teams...

This is so incredibly disappointing. RIP Davis Cup. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Il y a 2 heures , dareza a déclaré:

No, the very top 0.0001% of the best players wanted this. For many players, the Davis Cup was their thing, their ultimate goal. Bye to the epicness of 5 sets matches, bye to the crazyness of 5 matches rounds, bye to the small places and their one chance in a life time to host some of the best players in the world, bye to the crowds and fucking bye to history.

And they dare to call this thing 'Davis Cup'

Tennis is fast becomming a souless bilionaires freakshow, so clean, so perfect. Davis Cup was the last thing giving it a bit of life. 

9 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

No, the very top 0.0001% of the best players wanted this. For many players, the Davis Cup was their thing, their ultimate goal. Bye to the epicness of 5 sets matches, bye to the crazyness of 5 matches rounds, bye to the small places and their one chance in a life time to host some of the best players in the world, bye to the crowds and fucking bye to history.

And they dare to call this thing 'Davis Cup'

Tennis is fast becomming a souless bilionaires freakshow, so clean, so perfect. Davis Cup was the last thing giving it a bit of life. 

Full tennis stadium with everyone dressed in orange, making even mediocre players like Thiemo de Bakker (mostly busy with eating as much fast food as possible instead of training) suddenly rise up and stand and fight, to get close to the kind of levels shown by the mighty Robin Haase.

And that's only for the Netherlands of course, but I'm sure the same kind of thing goes for many more nations. Now it will just be yet another meaningless Hopman Cup or whatever, another random World Tour Finals-like tournament that nobody really seems to care about. I'm putting my money down on having the NextGen Davis Cup as well within a few years. So urban. It's like they are the freaking IOC. 

Yeah, and don't you dare dream this new event will be held in some small place. London, Paris, Barcelona, Rome, here we come. So edgy. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The thing is that the Davis Cup was really the X factor of the tennis world. The X factor that was badly needed. Congrats, tennis you're the new golf.

Nicklas Kulti and Arnaud Boetsch played the best match of tennis ever in 1996. Period.

2 hours ago, dareza said:

We'll see how much players wanted this in the names and line-ups. 

But Davis Cup and Fed Cup also were definitely unique. And both ATP and WTA destroyed the competition with putting their calendars. And I agree with De_Gambassi and heywoodu on this point completely.

• 1 month later...

India and Uzbekistan advanced to World Group play-offs. India struggled a lot, being 0-2 after day 1! But I still cannot imagine how Korea managed to lose to Pakistan. Now they will kick NZ out of Group 1 in September :facepalm: Korea is hosting so huge chance that Chung is going to play (unless!!! he does really well at USO).

But with all Davis Cup changes, who cares after all :d

Edited by Wanderer