website statistics

Sports Budgets in your Nation

DaniSRB

On 29/03/2019 at 18:56, heywoodu said:

https://olharolimpico.blogosfera.uol.com.br/2019/03/29/sem-lei-piva-esporte-olimpico-deve-sofrer-apagao-a-partir-de-abril/

Basically, it says that because the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB) has a significant debt with the government, which they can't pay now, no money - at all - will be given to COB anymore. This was done through Lei Piva/Piva Law, which seems to be going to end from April on (or at least until COB works away it's debt).

This way, COB can't divide quite some millions, which they would get via this Lei Piva, to the different federations. I'm taking CBDN (snow sport federation) as example, because that's the one I actually know stuff about, so in their case it mean's that they're gonna depend entirely on the money they get from FIS and IBU, international sports federations. As good as all salaries are paid by this Lei Piva/Piva Law, meaning all money from FIS and IBU would have to be used to pay that...leaving zero money for any infrastructure or any support for athletes. I'm sure the basic workings are similar for most of the other sports federations, except for maybe those that are soo big they don't depend on COB that much.

@vinipereira @thiago_simoes @hoversaBR (and apologies if I'm forgetting a Brazilian), feel free to add or change to this. What I said is mostly a mix of what I read in the article and what I heard from someone who knows the inner workings, but it's possible I got some details wrong or something.

I had not seen this news and I'm really sad really.

The sport is not getting much support from the government this early in the year and now the COB is about to lose the little resource left. Unfortunately, we have to hope that the COB regulates immediately, because how many federations do not need this money? Is it four at least? Especially after crises in several federations.

On 29/03/2019 at 14:56, heywoodu said:

@vinipereira @thiago_simoes @hoversaBR (and apologies if I'm forgetting a Brazilian), feel free to add or change to this.

So, we're doomed, and it's all basically thanks to the scumbag that was elected as the president. 

• 3 months later...

The :SVK government gave out money today.

3 Federations got it,

Ice Hockey gets up to ten million

At its Wednesday meeting, the Government of the Slovak Republic approved generous subsidies for three sports entities - Slovak Canoeing Slalom federation, the Slovak Ice Hockey Association and the Slovak Football Association.

1)

Slovak canoeing Slalom gets a total of 5 million euros, these funds are to be used to reconstruct two channels for canoe slalom. The funds of 2.5 million are to be used for the necessary adjustments in the Čunovo canoe slalom venue in Bratislava and the same amount for the reconstruction of the Ondrej Cibák Canoe Slalom Venue in Liptovský Mikuláš. Slovakia has already won fourteen Olympic medals (8 Golds out of the 9 the country won at the summer Olympics) in this sport since our first appearance in Atlanta 1996 after the independence.  

2)

The Slovak Ice Hockey Association (SZĽH) will receive 10.2 million EUR for the development of ice-hockey infrastructure and the elimination of child and youth physical illiteracy. Of this amount, up to 9.32 million will go to infrastructure development, which is coupled with programs to improve our youth hockey prospects skills and equip the youth with the hockey tools needed to improve their sports skills.

"In this project, SZĽH will install 20 small uncovered mobile ice rinks in the villages primary elementary schools. These rinks will be installed in the schools and are supposed will form and produce the increasement of our hockey base, as well as figure skating, speed skating, Ballhockey and other sports. eliminate the physical illiteracy of children and youth, " states in the official announcement of the Government of the Slovak Republic.

"There will also be thirty hockey small training rinks build across the country and the funds will include retrofitting of young hockey players as well," said Richard Rashi, Deputy Prime Minister for Investment and Informatisation. The remaining 880 thousand EUR are intended for the elaboration of implementation projects for the new multifunctional hockey hall and the new National Hockey Center planned to be build soon.

3)

The Slovak Football Association (SFZ) will receive 2 million EUR for technical support and technical assistance as well as the developement of currently functional supplements of already implemented information systems. LOL No freaking idea what they are talking about

Another purpose for which funding will be provided is the development of youth football - ensuring the functioning of youth football academies and talented youth units in the football clubs of the highest football competition. A further four million euros are intended to finance the construction, reconstruction and modernization of football stadiums and infrastructure across the country LOLOL...

• 5 months later...

Interesting thread!

The Dutch NOC publishes its funding annually. Full info here:  https://www.nocnsf.nl/topsport/verdeling-topsportmiddelen

Some highlights (in euros):

€ 23,4 mln. for summersports.

€ 2 mln. for wintersport.

€ 3,7 mln. for paralympic sports.

In addition to these funds directly to sports (federations) there is also € 7 mln. for sports infrastructure, mostly used for talent development centers. I don't know much about these centers, but I know a lot of our female football talents have spent their youth in the talent teams from this program.

Something sort of unique in our funding is that there are big gender differences in some sports. For handball (€ 0,5 mln), volleyball (€ 0,6 mln.) and waterpolo (€ 0,8 mln.) for example, the women's team are named seperately and receive far more funding.

The sports that get most funding get between € 1,5 - 2 mln. These include athletics, field hockey, judo, rowing, sailing and swimming. Cycling and speed skating make that list if you add the various disciplines (bmx, track and road / long track and short track).

The last interesting thing is that some sports don't have active 2020 sports programs, but do have 2024 development programs. Most notably tennis and handball men caught my eye.

On 05/12/2019 at 22:52, Jinzha said:

The last interesting thing is that some sports don't have active 2020 sports programs, but do have 2024 development programs. Most notably tennis and handball men caught my eye.

I'm mostly surprised the Dutch NOC even has a development thing for tennis, which is so focussed on anything but the Olympics basically.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...