website statistics

Bobsleigh at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

vor 3 Minuten schrieb De_Gambassi:

The chauvinist nature of the olympics IS the only reason why the Olympics are still a thing. Whithout it, there will be nothing on your screens, an no "nice" people for you guys to cheer for.

Cheering for someone because he shares the same nationality than you is no less idiotic than cheering for someone because he sounds nice on ITW or because your like his haircut. 

Well, personally I think it's more important to be a nice human being than having a special haircut or passport, but everyone should think what he/she wants. :)

But my point was the medal ranking and the striving to be at athe top of it.

47 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

True, but why bothering here? It's nobody's fault. Always possible if the winner is determined by the best time. You can change the rules, of course, but as it won't happen in bobsleigh, I don't see why not to be happy for both winners.

Because they didn't deserve to be tied any more than athletes that were as (or even more) inseparable at the end of their competitions, but had to separated nevertheless because of stricter rules.

Luge has been using thousands of a second since the "ancient" times. No reason why bobsleigh/skeleton couldn't do the same.

#banbestmen

vor 3 Minuten schrieb dcro:

Because they didn't deserve to be tied any more than athletes that were as (or even more) inseparable at the end of their competitions, but had to separated nevertheless because of stricter rules.

Luge has been using thousands of a second since the "ancient" times. No reason why bobsleigh/skeleton couldn't do the same.

Yeah that's the federation's fault, not the athlete's fault. For that reason, I don't get it why not to be happy for both Kripps and Friedrich.

Btw luge is using thousands of seconds since the 70's as a reaction to a tie ;) But since we had lots of ties in bobsleigh during the last decades (f.e. 1998 olympics), I don't think that rules are changed. Same btw in Apline Skiing (although it's a little less likely to have a tie for gold here, but still possible)

1 minute ago, LowerSaxony said:

Yeah that's the federation's fault, not the athlete's fault. For that reason, I don't get it why not to be happy for both Kripps and Friedrich.

Btw luge is using thousands of seconds since the 70's as a reaction to a tie ;) But since we had lots of ties in bobsleigh during the last decades (f.e. 1998 olympics), I don't think that rules are changed. Same btw in Apline Skiing (although it's a little less likely to have a tie for gold here, but still possible)

Luckily they are running out of excuses. That's now two global men's bobsleigh gold medals in a row that have been shared.

#banbestmen

hace 2 horas, heywoodu said:

Yep, and for people caring more about random, 'colourless' athletes who just happen to have the same kind of passport over athletes who are the best kind of people, who have some story which would make them beautiful winners, and so on. 

You say that because your country wins lots of medals all the time, so one more or less wouldn't make any difference. If you were from Nepal and someone wins a medal for your country you would be cheering like a madman even if that person had the most bland personality in the world.

3 hours ago, thepharoah said:

I don't see caring about topping medals table is some sort of nationalism , everyone wants his/her country to be the best , it's something innate in human being ofc  by fair play , IMO it's normal thing as long as u do respect others 

Well, not everyone. There's a lot of people who follow all of these sports and for whatever reason have their favourite athletes. As a Dutchman, I would gladly trade each and every Dutch medal won in Pyeongchang (alright, maybe except for Visser) for a gold medal for Noriaki Kasai, or Franziska Preuss, to name just an example. If a Dutch athlete is some annoying prick, always complaining about everything, getting in all sorts of trouble and whatnot, why on Earth would I want him/her to win? Just because of a flag?

Alright, this is all getting way off-topic, but I had to answer :d Back to bobsleigh :p Go Melbardis!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!