website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Tickets, Trips and Experiences

Just got back yesterday from Korea and will add pictures when I have a moment to put them on my home computer (working hard at my job now ;) )

CAN v USA gold medal hockey game was exciting and never-raking.  Not the outcome I wanted, but you can't get any closer than the 6th round of a shootout.  Fans were fun, chatted with lots of people.  Even met Cheryl Bernard, 2010 silver medalist in Curling!

Men's curling semi-finals were good, too (saw 2014 champ Jennifer Jones, but she was running off somewhere, so no pic).  Except, it's really hard to follow along without the overhead view.  We were down close to the button, but it's really hard to tell what's going on with the stones in the house because of the angle.  They would show one of the matches for 2-3 ends at a time on the big screen, so if the one I wanted (CAN v USA) wasn't shown it was hard to tell who was where.  Again, not the outcome I wanted.  Canada played horribly, and it was actually a really boring match, at least until the 8th end.  The SWE-SUI game was much more entertaining.  Again, the fans were great and chatted with lots of them.  

I also want to say the volunteers were great.  From the train station to the city roads to the shuttles and entrances, security and venues, every single one was friendly and helpful.  Many thanks to all of them!  :thumbup:

Having lived in Korea, I knew the transportation would be great and it was.  However, the Olympic Park itself was a bit...sterile.  There seemed to be very little atmosphere.  I've never been to an Olympics before, but it seemed almost like a county fair, with temporary fencing in a parking lot, rather than a big event.  Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with any of it.  I just expected... I don't know.  More?  There was nothing right outside the gate, for example.  Just some new apartments (and older villas).  We literally walked half a block down the road to a small kimbap restaurant and got food.  Which is good, of course, considering the prices inside.  I just expected the whole area to be in Olympics mode.  But right when you walked outside the gate there was nothing (besides the shuttles).   It was really cool, though, and I had an amazing time.  

I visited Canada House which was overpriced and busy, but fun.  Saw lots more Canadian athletes and personalities there, including some of the women's hockey players (thought it was the wrong time to ask for a photo).  I even ran into the Donald Trump and Kim Jung Un impersonators while waiting for my train back to Seoul!  

Pics to come.  

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Just received this in the mail from PC2018. Two years after. What a nice touch.

medal.jpg

Media medal?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela