website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Winter Olympic Games 2018?

Which makes me think of another question: which events do you think are the most likely to see a one-country podium? To be clear, mentioning an event doesn't mean you actually expect this to happen, just that in your opinion it's a bigger possibility than other events (for example I don't think men's 5000m will be swept by the Netherlands, but it's still 100% more likely than the women's 500m :p ).

Women's luge - Germany

Men's ski jumping (normal and large hill) - Germany/Norway

Nordic combined (both individual events) - Germany/Norway

Cross-country (several events) - Norway

This came to mind real quick :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Ehm... What happened to Stoch?

I'd say men's 5000m is more likely than any of the events you mentioned. :p

Ah yeah, it should say Germany/Norway/Poland. 

And not exactly, especially De Vries winning a medal would be a small surprise (since he's sort of the Janine Flock of speed skating) and Blokhuijsen isn't a guaranteed medal shot neither. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Austria has a chance in men's slalom (Hirscher, Matt, Feller).

And Italy in women's GS (Brignone, Bassino, Goggia, Moelgg) is not entirely unrealistic, though of course not likely. 

Oh and for my adopted nation, I'm going for 1 medal: some Steven Bradbury-like luck is gonna take Isabel Clark Ribeiro to Brazil's historic first medal :cool:

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And Italy in women's GS (Brignone, Bassino, Goggia, Moelgg) is not entirely unrealistic, though of course not likely. 

You are using "unrealistic" wrong. Italian sweep in that event is quite unlikely, so it's definitely not realistic. :d

In any case, I honestly hope not to see any clean sweep. What's the fun in that anyway? Unless it's like Dutch speed skating and after a certain point you hope it gets as ridiculous as it can get. :p

#banbestmen

il y a 3 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Ok in that case in biathlon Germany Norway France Ukraine(w) could by a miracle

1 minute ago, dcro said:

You are using "unrealistic" wrong. Italian sweep in that event is quite unlikely, so it's definitely not realistic. :d

In any case, I honestly hope not to see any clean sweep. What's the fun in that anyway? Unless it's like Dutch speed skating and after a certain point you hope it gets as ridiculous as it can get. :p

Unrealistic means not realistic :d 

Unlikely indeed, but if I'd have to name a decent number of events, 'gun to the head', for someone who loves seeing sweeps, this would be one I'd tell this person to keep an eye on. 

And yeah I agree, I prefer as many 3-nation podiums as possible :d