website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

LDOG

I think it would be more fun if there were negative points. 

Also - since we would wait 2 and a half years to next edition - would be possible to organize bet contest for upcoming FIFA World Cup? Given the popularity of football, game itself and history of the Cup, there might be enough bets to organize the contest?

hace 4 minutos, Wanderer said:

I think it would be more fun if there were negative points. 

Also - since we would wait 2 and a half years to next edition - would be possible to organize bet contest for upcoming FIFA World Cup? Given the popularity of football, game itself and history of the Cup, there might be enough bets to organize the contest?

It would be fun, but if we struggled to get enough suggestions for Winter olympics I don't want to imagine what it would be for FIFA world cup.

I mean, I could do 100 suggestions myself but it wouldn't be proper for me to organize and pick my own suggestions. Now if you are willing to organize it in my place... :p

Just now, LDOG said:

It would be fun, but if we struggled to get enough suggestions for Winter olympics I don't want to imagine what it would be for FIFA world cup.

I mean, I could do 100 suggestions myself but it wouldn't be proper for me to organize and pick my own suggestions. Now if you are willing to organize it in my place... :p

Great then :d

We'll find a volunteer for sure :d 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LDOG:

Did "we" really struggle to get enough suggestions? I think i posted enough suggestions already + i think this was only a problem in certain sports that are not very popular + why not just cut it to 20 or 30 questions (i don't think that it would make any sense to have more questions for a single sports event anyway, otherwise you will probably end up with questions like "how many players of Saudi Arabia will wear pink shoes in their match against Russia")?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 21 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

Did "we" really struggle to get enough suggestions? I think i posted enough suggestions already + i think this was only a problem in certain sports that are not very popular + why not just cut it to 20 or 30 questions (i don't think that it would make any sense to have more questions for a single sports event anyway, otherwise you will probably end up with questions like "how many players of Saudi Arabia will wear pink shoes in their match against Russia")?

Yes, you were the biggest contributor but I cannot just choose all of your suggestions.

Overall, there were enough suggestions but not a big pool to choose from. Obviously in biathlon and hockey there were a million suggestions, but those are just 2 sports. For most other sports we were in a situation were we had to choose 4/5 out of a pool of 10 and sometimes there were bets that were too similar or way too easy (Yes, I know many "easy" bets made their way into the final selection, but believe me, there weren't much better bets left out in their place).

As for football, I think we can be creative enough for a bet contest of around 50 questions without reaching the point of asking for players' wardrobe. 

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

maybe I could come up with some bets about history of the World Cup...I was quite good in history at school (actually, it was more than 25 years ago....but still)...:rofl:

5 hours ago, LDOG said:

There aren't negative scores.

Your possible final score ranges from 0 to 250, the more bets you win the closer you are to that maximum score, but you don't get deducted points for losing a bet. 

I think for next edition we could add that "risk" feature, so users think twice before betting 10s left and right (something many users did for this contest). But I will need time to think about how it could work best.

Personally I think this way is good. It's like you get $250 to bet, and if you lose every single bet, you end up with $0 (because you can't lose more money than you initially had).

I would have given more suggestions overall, but simply forgot it. If there's a World Cup contest (which I would love, even being someone who doesn't care about football that much) I'll try to improve, some others will suggest stuff and there we go :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 29 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

More than happy for the Shaolin brothers, now i know why i bet 10 points on Hungary winning medals with two different athletes. :yes

Relays don't count. Someone asked about it before the deadline and I clarified that (and by the way, your bet for that one was 1 point, not 10).

Edited by LDOG

vor 5 Stunden schrieb LDOG:

Relays don't count. Someone asked about it before the deadline and I clarified that (and by the way, your bet for that one was 1 point, not 10).

1) It doesnt matter what was written in a different thread, you should have clarified it for everyone to see. You cant expect everyone to read through a different thread.

2) I came up with this question, so i should know best how it was meant and i say that it included relays, otherwise i wouldnt have bet 10 points on it ...

3) Why is it ok for you to reveal my predictions?

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 6 horas, OlympicsFan said:

1) It doesnt matter what was written in a different thread, you should have clarified it for everyone to see. You cant expect everyone to read through a different thread.

2) I came up with this question, so i should know best how it was meant and i say that it included relays, otherwise i wouldnt have bet 10 points on it ...

3) Why is it ok for you to reveal my predictions?

Ok, let's see...

About 2): As I stated in the first post of the relevant discussion thread, the users do suggestions, but the selection committee reserves the right to reformulate them or give them another interpretation. Regardless of that, what you're saying in this case is not true. Here is the post where you made suggestions and you wrote "individual medals":

About 3): Why does that matter? the predictions (and subsequently, the results) are set in stone since the deadline of February 9th, it's not like any participant can go now and edit their predictions according to what you say here. In fact, anyone that does that would be DSQ. This is a "one phase" contest.

About 1): We are not perfect, far from it, and that's why we make mistakes. Sometimes some ambiguities or lack of clarity in the bets flies under my radar. In this case, somehow, we made a mistake and deleted the word "individual" from your original suggestion. I don't know how that happened and I apologize deeply for that.

Since the last contest I established a policy that in the case any user presents to me a problem with the meaning of a particular bet in the discussion thread AFTER the contest has already opened and AFTER several users have already posted predictions, I would then clarify the meaning of that bet in the discussion thread. No one objected to this policy neither 2 years ago nor now, therefore, I understood that the participants gave tacit agreement to it. I'm just asking users to read the specific discussion thread created for this contest (that is apart from the regular prediction discussion thread), I don't think that's asking too much honestly.

In the case of this particular bet, one user asked about the relays' problem (this was BEFORE the deadline) and I answered that according to our interpretation it doesn't take into account relays. The reason: we simply thought including the relays made the bet easier than what we wanted it to be.

Later (AFTER the deadline), another user warned me of some ambiguity problems with bet number 58 and since it was after the deadline (so, users couldn't edit their posts anymore, unlike with bet 60) I decided to award the invested points for both YES and NO.