website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Rio 2016 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Why use 0.5? :lol:

Makes more sense, "will at least 3 nations win their first ever Olympic medal" and so on.

Because 0.5 is what literally every betting site uses because it's the easiest to avoid any confusion, and since I saw the word "bet" here, I thought: "Well let's use the logical option" :d

In the end it doesn't matter so much of course, the logical one (0.5) or the one that needs more text and thought ("at least this or that"), it's both the same :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hace 2 minutos, heywoodu said:

Because 0.5 is what literally every betting site uses because it's the easiest to avoid any confusion, and since I saw the word "bet" here, I thought: "Well let's use the logical option" :d

In the end it doesn't matter so much of course, the logical one (0.5) or the one that needs more text and thought ("at least this or that"), it's both the same :p 

I know they're "logically equivalent", but I don't agree in that is less confusing your way. Anyway it doesn't matter because the selection committee will "polish" all selected suggestions to avoid ambiguity as much as possible.

Amazing idea, congrats

Archery

Will an not-asian country win at least 1 gold medal?

Will South Korea wins all gold medals?

Diving

Will China wins all gold medal?

Artstic Gymnastic

Will more than 3 country win at last gold medal in women's events?

General

Will Russia become the frist european country on the medal table?

Edited by Gianlu33

11 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I know they're "logically equivalent", but I don't agree in that is less confusing your way. Anyway it doesn't matter because the selection committee will "polish" all selected suggestions to avoid ambiguity as much as possible.

Indeed it doesn't matter because I'll participate either way of course and obviously I'll think of questions either way as well :d

Swimming

Will the gold medal in both the women's 50 and women's 100 meter freestyle go to an Australian swimmer?

Will Great Britain finish in the top-5 of the swimming medal table? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Athletics

Will there be a disqualification in the men's or women's 100m finals?

Boxing

Will Claressa Shields win the gold medal in the women's middleweight?

Will both Nicola Adams and Katie Taylor win a medal in their respective weight classes?

Cycling - BMX

Will Australia win at least one gold medal?

Equestrian

Will Germany win more medals than the Netherlands?

Field hockey

Will either Australia or The Netherlands reach the final in both the men's and women's tournament?

Swimming

Will there be a disqualification in any of the individual finals?

Will any nation medal in all six relays?

Water polo

Will the men's final be played between two nations out of Serbia, Montenegro and Croatia?

Weightlifting

Will Iran win at least one gold medal?

General

Will more than 5 positive doping tests be published before the closing ceremony?

Will Brazil reach their highest ever rank in the medal table?

Will the youngest medalist at the Rio Olympics be younger than 16 years? 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Guys also remember we need more suggestions for the Olympic Bet Contest. 5 days left until the selection window closes (July 1st). We need some more, if there are not enough for us to have a good pool to choose from, I will have to make some myself. In particular we are lacking suggestions for the "Sporting rivalries and medals" category, and among sports for Athletics, Swimming and Cycling (Track and Road). I will allow an extra 10 suggestions for those who have already made some before.

Hold your hats! Good that you reminded us, let's take some time to think of some good stuff :p 

General

Will the European Union (without GB) win at least two times as many medals as Great Britain?

Will a football, water polo or field hockey gold medal be decided after their respective kind of shoot-outs?

Athletics

Will at least two teams be disqualified in either the men's or women's 4x100m finals?

Will the USA win all three medals in the women's 100m hurdles?

Badminton

Will a non-Asian nation win a gold medal?

Boxing

Will a gold medal bout be decided by TKO?

Canoeing

Will any nation win a gold medal in both slalom and sprint canoeing?

Cycling 

Will any nation win a medal in both the women's and men's road races?

Will either the men's or women's time trial be decided by less than 10 seconds?

Will a third and final heat be needed in both the men's and women's individual sprint events?

Equestrian

Will any nation medal in both the jumping, eventing and dressage events? 

Gymnastics

Will Simone Biles win at least four total medals?

Will China win both gold medals in the trampoline events?

Wrestling

Will Russia win more freestyle gold medals than Japan? 

I've taken the liberty of putting all questions in an Excel sheet per sport, so we can see which sports drastically need some more questions.

Archery: 4

Athletics: 12

Badminton: 2

Basketball: 1

Boxing: 4

Canoeing (sprint, slalom): 3

Cycling - BMX: 2

Cycling - Mountainbike: 2

Cycling - Road: 2

Cycling - Track: 1

Diving: 1

Equestrian: 5

Fencing: 1

Field hockey: 2

Football: 1

Golf: 1

Gymnastics (artistic, trampoline, rhythmic): 4

Handball: 1

Judo: 1

Modern pentathlon: 2

Rowing: 1

Rugby sevens: 1

Sailing: 2

Shooting: 1

Synchronized swimming: 1

Swimming: 5

Table tennis: 1

Taekwondo: 1

Tennis: 1

Triathlon: 2

Volleyball: 2

Water polo: 1

Weightlifting: 4

Wrestling: 4

General: 8

Total: 83

In case you're interested, the Excel sheet can be downloaded here:

https://we.tl/XXJexqAIwx

General

Indonesia will win more medals than Malaysia.

At least two nations will win their first medals after an Olympic medal drought that lasted at least 20 years.

Germany will finish ahead of France on the medal table.

Cycling - track

Australia will win both team pursuit events.

There will be at least one crash in the points races during the omnium competitions.

Diving

At least three nations will win a gold medal.

Equestrian

At least five horses will not pass the vet inspection after the cross-country phase of eventing competition.

At least one horse will freak out and get eliminated in the dressage competition.

Football
At least three red cards will be awarded.

Golf

The eventual winner of the men's competition will not be in the top 5 places after the first day.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Field Hockey

Can Indian men's team finally end the medal drought in Olympics since 1980?

Artistic Gymnastics

Can Dipa Karmakar win a medal in Women's Vault event?

Shooting

Will there be an Asian medalist in all 15 events?

General

Will this Olympics be India's best ever performance (overall medals) ?

Can India win more than 1 gold medal for the first time ever in Olympics?