website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Rio 2016 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hace 9 minutos, Hawkeye said:

Question 32: After the 10 km open water swimming, Great-Britain isn't in 5th place anymore in the medal table. The Netherlands is in 5th place now. So the answer is no instead of yes.

Keyword: pool.

Contest-Bet.png

Final Standing available here.

italy-flag-pole-animated.gif

Dunadan

germany-flag-pole-animated.gif

OlympicsFan 

French flag on a flag pole gif animation

De_Gambassi

Our Olympic Betting Champion is none other than OlympicsFan, who with a bold betting strategy of only placing 10s and 1s managed to top the tables while winning 75 bets in the process. Silver is for enigmatic Dunadan, who seems to have pretty good knowledge of sports from what I have seen, despite he doesn't post much. Dunadan also was the user that guessed the most bets (78) and could have won the contest if only one more american nation had been able to win a medal in Rio (the count stopped at 14...). Bronze for De_Gambassi, who was 2nd in number of bets won (77). Honorable mentions to heywoodu, a betting fanatic who got 4th place and collaborated a lot to make this contest possible. :thumbup: 

I am very surprised to see that i won the most important prediction contest of the past 4 years, i wonder how everyone else was able to score worse than me, i thought that my score was pretty bad ... :mumble:

I was pretty sure about the answers to the following questions:

10 Yes -> Yes

12 No -> No

16 Yes (Ai Yanhan, Ren Xi, Mima Ito) -> Yes

18 Yes (Kimia Alizadeh) -> Yes

19 No -> No

20 Yes -> Yes

22 No -> No

27 Yes -> No

28 No -> No

29 Yes -> No

31 Yes -> Yes

35 No -> Yes

37 No -> No

42 Yes -> Yes

43 Yes -> Yes

45 Yes -> Yes

49 Yes -> No

52 No -> No

53 No -> No

54 No -> No

57 Yes -> Yes

59 Yes -> No

64 Yes -> Yes

69 No -> No

71 No -> No

72 Yes -> Yes

75 Yes -> Yes

86 Yes -> Yes

88 Yes -> No

91 No -> No

92 No -> No

93 Yes -> Yes

101 Yes -> Yes

103 No -> No

105 Yes -> Yes

106 Yes -> Yes

109 No -> No

110 No -> Yes

112 Yes -> Yes

113 No -> No

115 No -> Yes

Sadly it wasnt possible to give 10 points for more than 31 questions, so i had to pick 31 out of those 41 questions.

Out of those 41 questions i answered 8 incorrectly (27, 29, 35, 49, 59, 88, 110, 115). Guess for how many of those 8 questions i used 10 points ... i gave 10 points to 7 of those questions (all except question number 35), thats what i call unlucky ... :cry:

If i would have excluded those 8 questions, than i would have had much more than 300 points ... :facepalm:

Hopefully the number of points will be more carefully chosen the next time, this time i was only able to use 399 points (31 x 10 + 89 x 1) instead of 400 points.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 34 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

Hopefully the number of points will be more carefully chosen the next time, this time i was only able to use 399 points (31 x 10 + 89 x 1) instead of 400 points.

Well, we didn't conceive this game for people to only bet 10s and 1s. I mean, it worked for you anyway, but you could have placed that extra point in any of the ones you left with 1 to make it a 2 (imagine if you had lost by 1 point :d ).

vor 1 Stunde schrieb LDOG:

Well, we didn't conceive this game for people to only bet 10s and 1s. I mean, it worked for you anyway, but you could have placed that extra point in any of the ones you left with 1 to make it a 2 (imagine if you had lost by 1 point :d ).

I was just kidding ... great work! :p:thumbup:

It wouldnt have bothered me to lose by 1 point, if it would have been necessary to distribute exactly 400 points, then i wouldnt have participated, because my concept was to use 1 or 10 points for each question, a question with any other number of points would have ruined the picture. If it would have been possible to distribute 407 points, then i also wouldnt have used more than 399.

Prediction contests are only fun if i can test a special strategy, i did the same with biathlon world championships prediction contest a while ago, but sadly many people thought that it was unfair ... :(

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.