website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Rio 2016 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

PCDiscussion.png

This is an idea I had in mind lately about the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio 2016. Everybody who’s interested in taking part, be welcome. This contest is just for fun, thus unofficial, so there are no Points to earn concerning the Prediction Contests General Standings.

This idea was permitted by Sindo.

The Olympic Bet Contest was already held 4 years ago for the London Olympics. It consisted of a series of questions asked to the users about the Games which they had to answer for Yes or No while placing a "bet" of a certain number of points in each answer at the same time.

These are some examples:

1. At least 90 different NOC's will win at least one medal in London 2012. [YES/NO - X]

15. Slovakia will be placed above the Czech Republic in the Overall Medal Table. [YES/NO - X]

or for specific sports:

Aquatics - Water Polo (1)

37. All three participating ex-Yugoslav Teams (CRO, MNE, SER) will reach the Semifinals. [YES/NO - X]

My intention is to recreate this contest for the upcoming Games, so I'll need your help. This thread will be used for you people to make suggestions for possible questions to be featured in the contest. You can see here the questions (and the overall format) that were used for the 2012 contest, so you can get an idea of what are we looking for.

This time however, due to the addition of two new sports, the contest will be expanded to 120 questions and 400 points for each user to distribute among them. The Selection Committee, composed of me and Quasit, will then pick by the end of June/early July the best 120 suggestions which will be used for the contest. Please, I'd also like to ask you to not make more than -let's say- 25 suggestions per user. 

We count with your help!

Cheers, LDOG.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing: There are two categories you guys can make suggestions for. First, there is the "Sporting Rivalries and Medals" category, which covers general aspects of the Games and/or rivalries between specific countries. Second, there are the Individual sports categories, which are bets about each sport in particular.

I cheated ;)

Archery – Will one of the top eight seed suffer an upset in the first round?

Athletics – Will Usain Bolt win triple gold (men’s 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay)?

Badminton – Will Denmark win a gold medal?

Basketball – Will the United States win gold in both tournaments?

Boxing – Will Cuba win the most gold medals?

Canoeing – Will a non-European team win a canoe slalom medal?

Cycling – Will there be a crash during the final of the BMX events (men or women)?

Equestrian – Will more than three teams finish with more than 1000 points in one event?

Fencing – Will a different nation win gold in each of the four team events?

Field Hockey – Will there be a penalty shoot-out in one of the gold medal matches?

Football – Will an African nation win the gold medal?

Golf – Will a nation win multiple medals in the same event?

Gymnastics – Will an athlete win medals in all of the individual events (men or women) in artistic gymnastics?

Handball – Will a non-European team win a medal?

Judo – Will a nation win its first gold medal?

Modern Pentathlon – Will a non-European athlete win a medal?

Rowing – Will athletes from all 5 continents win a medal?

Rugby Sevens – Will the men’s tournament contain medalists from only Oceania?

Sailing – Will 10 different nations win gold in the 10 events?

Shooting – Will at least one world record be set in the event?

Swimming – Will the United States win the most gold medals?

Table Tennis – Will China win all four gold medals?

Taekwondo – Will a nation win its first medal in this sport?

Tennis – Will Serena Williams fail to win a gold medal (in all events)?

Triathlon – Will there be a sprint finish in any event?

Volleyball – Will Brazil win at least four medals in both beach and indoor volleyball?

Weightlifting – Will a non-Asian nation medal in the lightest weight classes (men’s -56kg, women’s -48kg)?

Wrestling – Will Russia win the most gold medals?

We call them "questions" but they don't have to be phrased as such if you don't wish so :d just affirmative sentences is enough as long as they are propositions with two possible truth values (true or false, in this case, "yes" or "no"). Simple bivalent logic :d

You have no idea how much I love this idea! :d 

We do the same thing on the Dutch forum (the one where I got the idea for the "supporting small nations" thread) and it's always a lot of fun, especially because it gets people interested in sports they'd otherwise never follow :) 

So yeah, I'm absolutely in and I'll do my best to come up with some questions as well :)

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Here comes few suggestions...

Archery

No less than 7 tie-break situations will occur in the men's singles competition

Athletics

A jump of less than 8 meters will be enough to make men's long jump final

At least 125 athletes will finish the women's marathon

At least 3 Olympic records will be broken

At least 1 athlete will fall during the finals of women's 100m hurdles or men's 110m hurdles

Canoeing

At least 2 nations will make finals in all four canoe slalom events

Mountain bike

Nino Schurter (SUI) will win an Olympic gold medal after getting a silver and a bronze at the previous two Games

At least 5 athletes in men's cross-country race will be lapped

Equestrian

At least 15 athletes will be eliminated or will retire during the cross-country stage of eventing competition

A score of 70.000% will not be enough to qualify for Grand Prix Special, the second stage of individual dressage competition

Modern Pentathlon

At least one athlete (male or female) will score less than 10 victories in the fencing stage

Sailing

There will be at least one day of no racing because of unfavorable weather conditions

Synchronized Swimming

At least 4 nations will win medals in synchronized swimming events

Triathlon

The eventual winners of both men's and women's races will not be in the top five places after swimming and cycling stages

Volleyball

None of the matches in the semifinal stage will end with 3-0 score

Weightlifting

At least 1 athlete from group B will win a medal

At least 1 leader after the snatch phase will bomb-out in the clear&jerk phase

Wrestling

At least 3 nations will win gold medals in both men's freestyle and men's greco-roman wrestling

At least 1 match in the gold medal finals will end with FALL

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Athletics

Will USA and Jamaica win more 6.5 combined medals in the four relay events?

Will Kenya win the gold, silver and bronze medals in the men's 3000m steeplechase?

Will African nations win more than 1.5 combined medals in non-running events?

Will Caster Semenya (800m), Pawel Fajdek (hammer throw), Ashton Eaton (decathlon) and Almaz Ayana (5000m) all win their respective events?

General

Will more than 2.5 nations win their first ever Olympic medal?

Will an Asian nation medal in any team event? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 31. 5. 2016 at 23:42, LDOG said:

15. Slovakia will be placed above the Czech Republic in the Overall Medal Table. [YES/NO - X]

No Never :lol: one of the easiest questions I have ever heard :d

but yeah man, Just discovered this thread :red: and this is a absolutely awesome and briliant idea ! I´m at 100% in.

will work for sure to find some suggestions for your contest

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Athletics

Will USA and Jamaica win more 6.5 combined medals in the four relay events?

Will Kenya win the gold, silver and bronze medals in the men's 3000m steeplechase?

Will African nations win more than 1.5 combined medals in non-running events?

Will Caster Semenya (800m), Pawel Fajdek (hammer throw), Ashton Eaton (decathlon) and Almaz Ayana (5000m) all win their respective events?

General

Will more than 2.5 nations win their first ever Olympic medal?

Will an Asian nation medal in any team event? 

Why use 0.5? :lol:

Makes more sense, "will at least 3 nations win their first ever Olympic medal" and so on.

#banbestmen