website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

4 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Was going through Sania Mirza's chances through protected ranking and have several queries

1) As required for protected rankings, the player must send a written petition to ITF within 6 months of injury. Did Sania follow this?

2) Protected ranked players can't be seeded. So can Sania still qualify and select a doubles partner of her choice as her protected ranking was 9th?

3) Entry protected is available for 12 singles or doubles tournaments for players who have been not playing for 12 months or more. Does this include the Olympics as its not an ATP/WTA event?

Basic information on Protected Rankings

https://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/rankings-faq

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/roland-garros-2018-demystifying-protected-rankings

1) I think she might have because she got into Hobart International and Australian open using PR.

2) I believe she can use that to qualify.

3) Olympics is included for PR. In 2016 Delpotro qualified through PR.

1 hour ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Was going through Sania Mirza's chances through protected ranking and have several queries

1) As required for protected rankings, the player must send a written petition to ITF within 6 months of injury. Did Sania follow this?

2) Protected ranked players can't be seeded. So can Sania still qualify and select a doubles partner of her choice as her protected ranking was 9th?

3) Entry protected is available for 12 singles or doubles tournaments for players who have been not playing for 12 months or more. Does this include the Olympics as its not an ATP/WTA event?

Basic information on Protected Rankings

https://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/rankings-faq

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/roland-garros-2018-demystifying-protected-rankings

Most likely, Sania Mirza can use her PR to qualify for Olympics. You can refer to this article where all these questions are addressed. 

Need the dates for:
1. Asian Wresting and World qualifiers

2. Archery team qualifiers

3. Men's TT team and individual qualifiers

4. Men and Women Boxing World and regional qualifiers

Is Mirabai Chanu qualifying. Is any other weightlifter having any chance to qualify?

What is the status of qualification in Weightlifting, Fencing, Cycling and Rowing. Are we capable of giving a go at medals in Cycling given the phenomenal rise of Deborah.

14 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

Need the dates for:

Is Mirabai Chanu qualifying. Is any other weightlifter having any chance to qualify?

What is the status of qualification in Weightlifting, Fencing, Cycling and Rowing. Are we capable of giving a go at medals in Cycling given the phenomenal rise of Deborah.

Cycling will be in recognition in 2024 if they don't mess up like Deborah.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

16 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

Need the dates for:

Mirabai has a chance to get medal and rest are no medal prospect.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

36 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Most likely, Sania Mirza can use her PR to qualify for Olympics. You can refer to this article where all these questions are addressed. 

I had read the Bridge article already which had piqued my interest in Protected Ranking. However I hope that Sania plays well enough to be at par with top 10 and qualify on her own might

4 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

I had read the Bridge article already which had piqued my interest in Protected Ranking. However I hope that Sania plays well enough to be at par with top 10 and qualify on her own might

Well for me the big hope is that rohan boppana is able to improve his ranking and they are able to qualify in mixed....  

That could be a long shot for a medal

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

Well for me the big hope is that rohan boppana is able to improve his ranking and they are able to qualify in mixed....  

That could be a long shot for a medal

I don't think it is that easy. Rohan has to be atleast inside Top 20. He is consistent in Low 30s and 40s for a long time now .

6 hours ago, Prashanth said:

Mirabai has a chance to get medal and rest are no medal prospect.

The boxing contingent is expected to win at least 2-3 medals this time. With luck on her side, Deepika will give her best shot at a medal; probably her last Olympics. In wrestling also, at least 3-4 medals are expected.