website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

The Qualification for India for Tokyo 2020 Paralympics started in last year from 2018 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup, Chateauroux.

Manish Narwal and Deepender Singh becomes the first Indian Para Pistol shooter to qualify for the Paralympic games after winning gold and silver medal in P1-Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1 event. Singhraj later joined them after by securing berth in P4-Mixed 50m Pistol SH1. Avani Lekhera becomes the first female shooter to secure Paralympic berth for India. She secured the berth from 2019 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup, Al Ain in R6-Mixed 50m Rifle Prone SH1.

During  2019 World Archery Para Championships 2019, Harvinder Singh and Vivek Chikara, and Rakesh Kumar and Shyam Sundar Swami secured the quota places in Men's Recurve Individual Open and Men's Compound Individual Open events respectively. They have achieved this feat by finishing in Top 16 in the World Championship. 

Swaroop Mahavir Unhalkar secured another quota in R1-Men's 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1 evnet from 2019 World Shooting Para Sport Championships, Sydney. Later Siddhartha Babu also secured quota in R6-Mixed 50m Rifle Prone SH1 event from the same tournament. This is India's biggest ever contingent in Shooting and still one more tournament left for the shooters in 2020.

India secured 12 Athletics qualification through World Championship by virtue of finishing in top 4, India had won 9 medals (2 Gold, 2 Silver and 5 Bronze), of which 8 medals were in the Paralympic Games program categories.

Vinod Kumar secured the quota in men's discus throw F52 event after finishing 4th. Sandeep Chaudhary and Sumit Antil booked the Paralympic berths in Men's Javelin Throw F64 after winning gold and silver medal in world championship. Both athletes have created new world records in their respective categories. Sunder Singh defended his men's javelin throw F46 world title and secured the Paralympic berth, he was joined by Ajeet Singh (bronze medal) and Rinku Hooda (4th place). Ekta Bhyan finished 4th in women's club throw F51 event and booked a Tokyo 2020 ticket for herself. Yogesh Kathuniya with personal best throw of 42.05m won bronze medal and secured the berth in Men's Discus Throw F56.  Praveen Kumar qualified in Men's High Jump T64 after finishing 4th (PB: 1.92). Nishad Kumar won bronze medal in Men's High Jump T47 event  with personal best jump of 2.00m and became 20th athlete to qualify for the Paralympic games and India surpassed the previous edition's delegation size. Sharad Kumar and Mariyappan Thangavelu won silver and bronze medals in high jump T42 event and took India's overall athlete count to 22.

Edited by Anshul Chavhan

21 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

For men I do not see why you feel we cannot beat romania ...... Last time we met them at the world team championship if I remember right we did beat them 3-1 ... Unless their quality has improved I believe we can beat them again 

They are a bit underrated in rankings, capable of springing up a suprise. 

Slovenia despite individual ranking is overrated, it will be a walk in the park if we get them I don't see Slovenia winning even 1 match. For Belgium, Cedric Nyutnik is good, rest of the team is beatable easily. 

1 hour ago, Prashanth said:

Sindhu looses against Yamaghuchi.

Felt sorry for Sindhu yesterday, seemed she is suffering from mental fatigue, no clarity of thought, unable to clear her mind from previous points lost, giving up much before the match was lost, extreme low confidence and cluttered mind, I hope the federation realizes the need for good sports psychologists at least for such big players in India, she clearly needs a lot of counselling.