website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

17 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

No Gaurav Bhidhuri, Shiva Thapa and Sumit Sangwan. No qualifications for sure.

AIBA isn't recognised by IOC anymore and thus AIBA organised World Championships won't decide Olympic qualifications. IOC itself is organising boxing qualification tournaments which is going to be held in early next year

Regarding Badminton qualification, if Race to Tokyo rankings are selected the paragraph above mentions "This is not a final list of qualifiers. This ranking is a representation of which players/pairs could qualify if this ranking list (based only on the accrual of world ranking points from tournaments within the Olympic Qualification Period) was used to determine the list of qualifiers.".  The qualification period started from 29th April and hence the points are cumulative of tournaments from the start date

If Notional Rankings are selected it mentions "This is not a final list of qualifiers. This ranking is a representation of which players/pairs could qualify if the world rankings for the current week was used to determine the list of qualifiers".  This is a mirror of BWF World rankings

On 05/09/2019 at 15:07, Dolby said:

Unless she misses a significant portion of the remaining season due to injury, she will qualify easily. In fact, I am pretty sure she would be seeded among top 8 at Olympics. 

Agree with the first part of statement. But if she continues to withdraw from tournaments so frequently, I am afraid she won't be among top 8 seeds, which she is quite capable of! Also, since Marin is likely to be back... it's a head on race b/w the two to be among seeded entries. Marin's would depend on how well she has been able to recover 

Saina has a fantastic chance to amass good 6000/7000 points in Taepei but then again withdrew for some reason :/

Just now, Vaibhav Manocha said:

Agree with the first part of statement. But if she continues to withdraw from tournaments so frequently, I am afraid she won't be among top 8 seeds, which she is quite capable of! Also, since Marin is likely to be back... it's a head on race b/w the two to be among seeded entries. Marin's would depend on how well she has been able to recover 

Saina has a fantastic chance to amass good 6000/7000 points in Taepei but then again withdrew for some reason :/

I think 7/8 spots are almost final: 2 Chinese, 2 Japanese, Tai, Sindhu and Intanon. For the 8th spot, it is a fight between Marin, Saina and others. Marin has got horrible draws in her comeback. Chen Yu Fei in Korea Open and Nozomi Okuhara in China Open. I don't expect Marin to win either match, so close to her return. So, she will lose valuable chance to get points. Hence, the confidence (or you can say hope) in Saina retaining the 8th seed. 

A quick analysis of If we were to get medals at tokyo olympics  as per world ranking in  based on todays world ranking  

Shooting 

10M Air pistol Men 

SILVER . Abhishek 

BRONZE  Saurabh

10  M Air rifle Women 

GOLD Apurvi 

SILVER Anjum 

Mixed Rifle Team ( back of the envelope calculations - No offical ranking ) 

GOLD India A - Divyansh and Anjum 

BRONZE  India B - Apurvi and Deepak

Mixed Pistol Team 

GOLD - Saurabh and Manu 

Wrestling 

50 Kg Women

BRONZE - Seema 

66 Kg Men 

GOLD - Bajrang 

Boxing 

57 Kg Women

Sonia - BRONZE

Weightlifting 

BRONZE - Mirabai Chanu 

Total would be 4-2-4

Actually I would be extremely happy if we can do that 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

4 hours ago, Dolby said:

I think 7/8 spots are almost final: 2 Chinese, 2 Japanese, Tai, Sindhu and Intanon. For the 8th spot, it is a fight between Marin, Saina and others. Marin has got horrible draws in her comeback. Chen Yu Fei in Korea Open and Nozomi Okuhara in China Open. I don't expect Marin to win either match, so close to her return. So, she will lose valuable chance to get points. Hence, the confidence (or you can say hope) in Saina retaining the 8th seed. 

Haha... yeah, I did (delightfully) notice that. Poor her! Saina has no easier draws either. She needs to chose her tournaments smartly going forward. 

Tho more than her seeding I am almost obsessed with Sindhu getting a top 3 billing. That could make a huge difference since most likely the first 3 seeds will by pass R16. There will be some big floaters in R16 at Tokyo. Sindhu is well on her way there thanks to 13000 from Basel. So really hopeful

nice results from the asian junior and cadet TT tournament  ( two medals ) 

Junior Boys team finished 2nd ( losing to china ) but beating korea 

Junior girsl finished 7th 

cadet boys lost int he quarters 

payas jain in cadet boys  finished with silver 

yashwini gorpade finished 6th in cadet girls 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

19 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

A quick analysis of If we were to get medals at tokyo olympics  as per world ranking in  based on todays world ranking  

Shooting 

10M Air pistol Men 

SILVER . Abhishek 

BRONZE  Saurabh

10  M Air rifle Women 

GOLD Apurvi 

SILVER Anjum 

Mixed Rifle Team ( back of the envelope calculations - No offical ranking ) 

GOLD India A - Divyansh and Anjum 

BRONZE  India B - Apurvi and Deepak

Mixed Pistol Team 

GOLD - Saurabh and Manu 

Wrestling 

50 Kg Women

BRONZE - Seema 

66 Kg Men 

GOLD - Bajrang 

Boxing 

57 Kg Women

Sonia - BRONZE

Weightlifting 

BRONZE - Mirabai Chanu 

Total would be 4-2-4

Actually I would be extremely happy if we can do that 

I expect to go past 10 this time, definitely 1 or 2 in badminton add to that Vinesh(Wrestling) & Amit(Boxing) maybe Mens hockey,  if Manika can get back to form like last year, even in TT we have a chance, I hope her current horrible form is temporary, will come back strong like Sindhu did. My target would be 15, realistically expecting to close around that number. Also Neeraj Chopra is recovering well let's keep some hope on the Champion athlete.

Edited by Sanjib

4 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

I expect to go past 10 this time, definitely 1 or 2 in badminton add to that Vinesh(Wrestling) & Amit(Boxing) maybe Mens hockey,  if Manika can get back to form like last year, even in TT we have a chance, I hope her current horrible form is temporary, will come back strong like Sindhu did. My target would be 15, realistically expecting to close around that number. Also Neeraj Chopra is recovering well let's keep some hope on the Champion athlete.

Hockey or TT is unlikely ......  neeraj at hist best is still behind the germans and a couple of others , so needs to improve .... I think one more in boxing is possible and so is wrestling and sindhu performs well under pressure ........but you must remember that from these a couple may fail .....so +2-3 and then -2 to 3 , i feel if we do 10-12 I will be thrilled