website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

32 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Please try to be in shoes of Bhavani Devi. There was never a history of fencing in India and neither there are any past athletes to boast about. Federations get funds from Sports Ministry based on their past performance and realistic medal hopes in future (as far as I know).

Bhavani Devi finished in last 16 of the World Championships yet got scant attention in media. Her Facebook page gets few hundred likes. Only those who follow fencing or Indians keeping track of Olympic qualifications recognise how big an achievement this is just to qualify for the Olympics.

Now after all this should she forego her quota spot even though she won't come any near a medal but still may get media attention like DIpa Karmakar in 2016 and inspire some youngsters to take up the sport, which may help rise of fencing in India

Who else can talk more on Bhavani....I had asked OGQ and Padukone academy for support in 2012 when no one was even knowing her. Today people are talking about the sports. People here would vouch on my statement. I was behind Sindhu  when she was 16-18 when entire country was behind Saina. Today the result is in front of everyone. I always see the future stars where others see present, this culture of seeing only medal winners today is bad in India. See for 6-8 years ahead and then see the results. Support 14-18 yrs people now and get the result in 2024-28

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

1 hour ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Please try to be in shoes of Bhavani Devi. There was never a history of fencing in India and neither there are any past athletes to boast about. Federations get funds from Sports Ministry based on their past performance and realistic medal hopes in future (as far as I know).

Bhavani Devi finished in last 16 of the World Championships yet got scant attention in media. Her Facebook page gets few hundred likes. Only those who follow fencing or Indians keeping track of Olympic qualifications recognise how big an achievement this is just to qualify for the Olympics.

Now after all this should she forego her quota spot even though she won't come any near a medal but still may get media attention like DIpa Karmakar in 2016 and inspire some youngsters to take up the sport, which may help rise of fencing in India

Understood. But the federations are sometimes themselves not eager to improve.

So we will end up with 17 member shooting team in most likelihood. 

Anish will qualify if he can maintain top 15 in the rankings. 

Kynan is qualifying easily even being at 21st spot. Turkey, France and Germany are there but it's easy for him. 

Slovakia will swap the quota won as Erik Varga has 2 quotas won. 

Qatar will swap the quota from the unknown shooter who won it to the Dakar Rally  Champion, Naseer Al Atiya, Olympic bronze medallist in skeet. 

Chinese Taipei can swap too. 

One of the above Europeans will win a quota in their last Tournament. 

16 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

So we will end up with 17 member shooting team in most likelihood. 

Anish will qualify if he can maintain top 15 in the rankings. 

Kynan is qualifying easily even being at 21st spot. Turkey, France and Germany are there but it's easy for him. 

Slovakia will swap the quota won as Erik Varga has 2 quotas won. 

Qatar will swap the quota from the unknown shooter who won it to the Dakar Rally  Champion, Naseer Al Atiya, Olympic bronze medallist in skeet. 

Chinese Taipei can swap too. 

One of the above Europeans will win a quota in their last Tournament. 

How will swaps make a difference to Kynan's chances? Ranking quota is allotted before any swaps. Also, there will be only one ranking quota no matter what. Even if Slovakia, Qatar and Chinese Taipei swap quotas, it won't add any more quotas in Trap. 

Also, Italy still doesn't have quota in Men's Trap. If Italy fails to win the European quota, there is no way anyone else is going to win the ranking quota. 

1 minute ago, Dolby said:

How will swaps make a difference to Kynan's chances? Ranking quota is allotted before any swaps. Also, there will be only one ranking quota no matter what. Even if Slovakia, Qatar and Chinese Taipei swap quotas, it won't add any more quotas in Trap. 

Also, Italy still doesn't have quota in Men's Trap. If Italy fails to win the European quota, there is no way anyone else is going to win the ranking quota. 

Oh wait I realize the quotas are counted. :p

He has to do the rest now. 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

15 hours ago, Prashanth said:

Sumit Nagal also was one . In Fencing in epee there is Anoushka who is just 15 and is WR#202.

Sumit Nagal has good ground strokes but a very weak serve, really needs to work on that to progress in future.