website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

It is good if noone qualifies in Tennis and Golf. The universality places for Swimming and Judo should not be accepted. Instead, the money should be spent in training and diet for Shooters, Wrestlers, Boxers and Mirabai Chanu. Also, will the fencer Bhavani Devi and cyclists Deborah and Esow qualify.

15 hours ago, Dolby said:

According to me, the only event with headache is Women's 10m Air Rifle. Mehuli is almost surely out, not because she is shooting bad but since she is shooting in MQS, she can't get bonus points for reaching finals or rankings. I don't think NRAI would want a situation where Apurvi or Anjum miss out on Olympics, so only two possibilities are there. 

1) Apurvi and Anjum are selected in 10m. Anjum starts in 50x3 as well. Chinki's quota goes to Shotgun events. If Kynan is able to get a quota through ranking (very small chance), then it will surely go to Trap, otherwise it could go to either. Whoever gets the quota would be very lucky. 

2) Elavenil replaces Anjum in 10m. Chinki's quota is swapped for another in 50x3. 

While personally, I would prefer option 2, I think option 1 is more likely. In fact, I would place the likelihood as 75% for 1 and 25% for 2. 

No Trap please. If they did not win a quota means that none of the shooters are capable at global stage.

28 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

It is good if noone qualifies in Tennis and Golf. The universality places for Swimming and Judo should not be accepted. Instead, the money should be spent in training and diet for Shooters, Wrestlers, Boxers and Mirabai Chanu. Also, will the fencer Bhavani Devi and cyclists Deborah and Esow qualify.

Bhavani Devi and Deborah and Esow should also not be sent to Olympics if they qualify. Heck, anyone who has not won a Gold at the World level should not be sent. If it destroys the sport, so be it. Atleast we won't be wasting the money on these useless fellows. And our Shooters, Wrestlers, Boxers and Mirabai Chanu could atleast eat healthy food. 

Let those qualify by virtue of ranking and all should go. Those going by universality quota should be stopped. 

There was a filmi dialogue in Bahubaali: balwan ko aur balwan karo. This is the Olympic year; those with more chances of getting medals should get more money.

The target sports are Shooting, Badminton, Wrestling, Boxing, Mirabai Chanu. What is the case with Gymnastics? And also, Hima Das and Neeraj Chopra.

27 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

There was a filmi dialogue in Bahubaali: balwan ko aur balwan karo

Films and movies are different from reality. 

Hima Das is still not fit as she said in KBC few weeks back. If there is no spark in a sport somewhere, its difficult to improve in the sport. For years we will stick to the same sport. If we want to be a superpower in sports, invest in all sports from youth.  

Judo has a good future among the youth. We just need to send them for exposure. Tababi Devi, Youth Olympic Silver medallist ,still you want to take them out? Some individual brilliance can come from judo then we'll improve. 

Also take example of Afghanistan participating in South Asian Games in Taekwondo but no one really cared because India most of the   golds in the sport.

In 2006 if I am not wrong, Afghanistan hired a Korean coach. Now they don't just have South Asian or Asian Games medal, but 2 Olympic medals,  2 Youth Olympic medals. The sport has grown immensely popular after football and cricket. 

Wonder where we would be if we invested in the sport. 

This all but proves the need to invest in all sports. 

1 hour ago, sanjaydas said:

Let those qualify by virtue of ranking and all should go. Those going by universality quota should be stopped. 

There was a filmi dialogue in Bahubaali: balwan ko aur balwan karo. This is the Olympic year; those with more chances of getting medals should get more money.

The target sports are Shooting, Badminton, Wrestling, Boxing, Mirabai Chanu. What is the case with Gymnastics? And also, Hima Das and Neeraj Chopra.

Please try to be in shoes of Bhavani Devi. There was never a history of fencing in India and neither there are any past athletes to boast about. Federations get funds from Sports Ministry based on their past performance and realistic medal hopes in future (as far as I know).

Bhavani Devi finished in last 16 of the World Championships yet got scant attention in media. Her Facebook page gets few hundred likes. Only those who follow fencing or Indians keeping track of Olympic qualifications recognise how big an achievement this is just to qualify for the Olympics.

Now after all this should she forego her quota spot even though she won't come any near a medal but still may get media attention like DIpa Karmakar in 2016 and inspire some youngsters to take up the sport, which may help rise of fencing in India