website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Was browsing sony live app to see some wrestling recording........ Was really happy to see the Olympic channel section.... Really nice videos of both Indian atheletes as well as Olympic legends..... Loved the one on sakshi malik

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

On 23/09/2019 at 17:52, Shravan Kumar said:

Are you talking about winter Olympics in Sochi?

It's Russia in general!! Most of the samples were from athletics and weightlifting. Many have been re tested and obtained positive while report has emerged that most negative samples were obtained by manipulation. 

Russian Olympic Chief has admitted its a "very serious issue" and the chances of Russia participating at next year Olympics are very less. Will be interesting to see how federations like the UWW, FIG, ICF  ISSF respond because these are very close with Russia, especially ISSF lead by a Russian. 

As of now, Russia is banned in athletics and the ban may stay until 2021 at least. 

Stephanie Rice aiming to produce Olympic champion from India by 2028
Australian swimming ace Stephanie Rice is set to open the Stephanie Rice Swim Academy in India.

It’s not often that you get to train with three-time Olympic gold medallist swimmer and a five-time World record holder. But that’s soon going to be a reality as former Australian swimming ace Stephanie Rice is set to open the Stephanie Rice Swim Academy in India.

The revenue for the academy is still not finalised; she is slated to meet sponsors and partners over the next week. Through the academy, Rice hopes to see one of her Indian wards making a podium finish in the 2028 Olympics.

Is there any particular reason behind launching your academy in India?

I love the country so much. When I was swimming, I had so much support from the Indian press. When social media came in, I got so much support from India. I could not understand where this was coming from, I had never competed in India, I am neither from India nor do I have Indian heritage. After retiring, I decided to come to India and see what this is and if this is real. Then I was given the role to do the Olympic coverage for India (in 2016) and that gave me an exposure and understanding about the current level of swimming in the country and witness people like P.V. Sindhu or Dipa Karmakar breaking through.

Having done the commentary stint with Pro Kabaddi League, I had a better understanding. Living here for four-five months, watching the coaching programmes, talking to current swimmers gave me a better understanding. I could have taken my swimming academy anywhere in the world and it would do well. But I want to do it in India because I feel it’s a country I love and also it has the market where I can make biggest impact and have biggest growth. If I did it in Australia, there are so many other programmes. This is something I can give back to the sport. That feels meaningful.

What are your thoughts on Indian swimmers?

There are a lot of amazing swimmers in India right now. Unfortunately, a lot of them don’t train in India. They train in the US and Thailand. I would love to bring those athletes back home at the Stephanie Rice Swimming Academy. I would like to have them trained under high-level coaches in India. Some of them I have spoken to — through social media or seminars, they really want to understand all the components that go into high performance. Of course, a key part of it is coaching and I think I can help them with that. Also help them with nutrition and other components. I want to hit all those components in the academy and have somebody take care of all those things.

What are India’s chances?

In terms of India, I think there are a couple of athletes who will go close to the semifinals. I don’t think they will make the semis, because if you look at US, Australia, China, Japan — they all are really strong. Tokyo is going to be a harder one but by 2024, especially if you are training at my academy, I am confident of producing someone who will at least reach the final. If not the final, in the next four years, they are going to be in top eight of the world. In 2028, if we get someone on the podium, that will be a dream come true!

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/swimming/stephanie-rice-aiming-to-produce-olympic-champion-from-india-by-2028/article29502135.ece?utm_source=udmprecommendation_swimming&utm_medium=rightbar&transactionId=93sfncnPq8ZsCEI1lf9hyWqo5BOY8xOF

CWG waste of time, India should withdraw altogether: IOA president

The government has so far resisted the calls from the IOA and NRAI to boycott the Birmingham Games, saying such decisions cannot be taken unilaterally.

Claiming that they are no longer relevant, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Narinder Batra has called for the country to withdraw altogether from the Commonwealth Games rather than boycotting a one-off edition. Batra added that India should instead focus on taking part in international events where the level of competition is high to improve its standing at the Olympics.
Batra said he will put up this proposal at the IOA executive board meeting, which is likely to be held next month. If the members approve, the Olympic body will take it up with the government and subsequently the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) president, when she visits the country in November.
“These Games have no standard. For me, these are a waste of time and money. We win 70 medals, 100 medals at the Commonwealth Games while at the Olympics, we get stuck at two (medals),” Batra told The Indian Express, referring to India’s tally in Rio. “That means the level of competition isn’t high at CWG. It’s not a ranking tournament either. So why waste time? We should rather go to better competitions and prepare for the Olympics.”

In July, the IOA took an unprecedented step and proposed a complete boycott of the 2022 CWG in Birmingham after the organisers dropped shooting from the programme despite months of lobbying by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) as well as former sports minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore. CGF president Louise Martin is likely to visit New Delhi on November 14 to meet IOA officials as well as sports minister Kiren Rijiju.

Batra said he wasn’t in favour of boycotting a standalone edition of the Games. “I’m not in favour of the boycott. In sports, you never use the word boycott. My fundamental principle is either we withdraw permanently or go and compete,” Batra said. “We will have an internal discussion in IOA before the meeting (with CGF) on November 14. I’ll put up this suggestion in the IOA meeting and see if there is a consensus. We’ll have political decisions as well.”

The government has so far resisted the calls from the IOA and NRAI to boycott the Birmingham Games, saying such decisions cannot be taken unilaterally. But Batra insisted participating in the CWG does not benefit Indian athletes given the competition level isn’t ‘high enough’. “The entire Middle East does not compete in CWG. The USA doesn’t either. Ultimately, IOA will vote for it. As a sports administrator, it is my duty to make sure India has a strong team for the 2024, 2028, 2032 Olympics. We won’t achieve that by competing at the CWG,” he said.

India have won 101, 64 and 66 medals in the 2010, 2014 and 2018 editions of the CWG respectively. Athletes winning medals at these Games receive hefty prize money, with centre earmarking `30 lakh for gold medalists, `20 lakh for silver winners and `10 lakh for bronze medalists. The state governments offer separate prize money while employers like Railways, oil companies and state police department offer cash incentives and/or promotions to the medal winners.

Batra acknowledged his suggestions may not go down with the athletes. “Athletes may hate me for it because they get prize money for these Games. I will request the government to divide this prize money in different tournaments of better level,,” Batra said. “If it is not a good competition then why should we go?”

The IOA chief added the Commonwealth body has been ‘undermining’ India and the country is not adequately represented in its bodies ‘despite being their largest partners, population wise.’ “Yet, they don’t consider us seriously. There are 13 committees and there isn’t one Indian in them. There is no Indian in the executive board. Why are we in the system? It’s a colonial thing.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cwg-waste-of-time-india-should-withdraw-altogether-ioa-president-6025737/

No Indian in 13 committees.....wow. 
TBF I support the decision to completely come out from the CWG. Except few events the level of competition is so low and except for some bragging rights it's not at all useful.

10 hours ago, depleter said:

CWG waste of time, India should withdraw altogether: IOA president

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cwg-waste-of-time-india-should-withdraw-altogether-ioa-president-6025737/

No Indian in 13 committees.....wow. 
TBF I support the decision to completely come out from the CWG. Except few events the level of competition is so low and except for some bragging rights it's not at all useful.

I disagree, the Commonwealth Games gives visibility to Olympic sports and sportspeople which in India is sadly lacking ..... Some sports like TT recently came to the limelight only because of CWG........ But I agree they don't give any importance to India or  pay attention to the Indian viewpoint

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Although the standard of athletes in CWG may not be great but lets admit our standard isn't great either. It gives limelight and media coverage when Olympics is two years away. Still cricket is on top in terms of visibility and it will be even if we play Zimbabwe. Other sports are gaining traction but its still a long way to go. But I am quite happy with the following that ISL and PKL has.

Sport has soft power and it gives boost to our national identity if we do well at Multi-sports events

We are only threatening to pullout of CWG just because it won't have shooting events. Would we do the same if doesn't feature Olympic sports where we aren't good at like Swimming, Basketball or Gymnastics.

12 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Although the standard of athletes in CWG may not be great but lets admit our standard isn't great either. It gives limelight and media coverage when Olympics is two years away. Still cricket is on top in terms of visibility and it will be even if we play Zimbabwe. Other sports are gaining traction but its still a long way to go. But I am quite happy with the following that ISL and PKL has.

Sport has soft power and it gives boost to our national identity if we do well at Multi-sports events

We are only threatening to pullout of CWG just because it won't have shooting events. Would we do the same if doesn't feature Olympic sports where we aren't good at like Swimming, Basketball or Gymnastics.

Yes, it gives us an opportunity before the Asian games, we can try our 2nd level athletes in some sports like badminton to avoid fatigue in these years. But I agree our current standard is compatible to CWG games only, don't see any reason to not participate, maybe countries like China(though not a CW country) can be selective, not us.

Edited by Sanjib

2019 FIBA Women's Asia Cup is currently going on in Bangalore and India will face Philippines in 7th-8th decider today at 3.30 pm. The winner of this match will stay in Division A for next tournament in 2021 and also qualify for an Olympic pre-qualifying tournament for Asia/Oceania region

Live score at http://www.fiba.basketball/womensasiacup/2019/game/2709/India-Philippines#|tab=boxscore