website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

16 minutes ago, Dolby said:

China can only nominate one of the two. There is a limit of only one lifter per NOC per weight class. None of the Thai lifters has participated in any event in the second period which ends in October. There are a couple of events still remaining in the second period (Asian Junior Championships, Mediterranean Cup and few more Bronze level events) but I think entries for those events also would have closed by now. So, even if Thailand has a change of heart, time is running out. 

Gum was three kgs above mirabai...... Fairly narrow A single lift missed by her or one good lift by mirabhai would have reversed the order..........difference between 4thand 5th was so huge there seems to be no one even close.... So it seems as sure A medal as can be at Tokyo . .... The Chinese lifter is far ahead so it is between mira and gum for silver or bronze as long as they do not do a stupid no lift 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

On 19/09/2019 at 12:34, sanjaydas said:

Let us focus mainly on:

1. Shooting

2. Badminton

3. Hockey

4. Wrestling

5. Boxing

6. Weightlifting (Chanu only)

7. Gymnastics (Doubtful as Dipa Karmakar is not there)

Sanjay I think each person has their own interests and focus, so if you say you want to focus on these sports that is your choice.... For some sports fans here the interest may not be solely linked to medals...... I would love to see some significant improvements this Olympic year...... For example A fencing qualification or an A std in swimming would make me really happy too 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

57 minutes ago, Dolby said:

China can only nominate one of the two. There is a limit of only one lifter per NOC per weight class. None of the Thai lifters has participated in any event in the second period which ends in October. There are a couple of events still remaining in the second period (Asian Junior Championships, Mediterranean Cup and few more Bronze level events) but I think entries for those events also would have closed by now. So, even if Thailand has a change of heart, time is running out. 

Thailand  had a change  of heart  but IWF refused  to allow  them. IWF has not imposed a suspension  on them only because  they self imposed suspension.  If they  change  their  position  Iwf will  have to suspend them.

So Indian campaign at the Asian TT Championship ends. 

Men's Team did well to finish 5th. 

Women's Team could have done better (9th)

Doubles we didn't get good draw. 

Men's Singles - Sathiyan reached quarters, 1st Indian to do so in 43 years, went down fighting against Lin Gaoyan, WNO 4 from China. 

Women's Singles - Ayika Mukherjee had a fantastic tournament beating Chen Szu Yu in 1st round and then in pre quarters giving a great performance against the Olympic Champion (if i am not wrong, 1st Indian ever to pull a game off Ding Ning, who later crushed Japanese No1 in straight sets in quarters). 

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

So Indian campaign at the Asian TT Championship ends. 

Men's Team did well to finish 5th. 

Women's Team could have done better (9th)

Doubles we didn't get good draw. 

Men's Singles - Sathiyan reached quarters, 1st Indian to do so in 43 years, went down fighting against Lin Gaoyan, WNO 4 from China. 

Women's Singles - Ayika Mukherjee had a fantastic tournament beating Chen Szu Yu in 1st round and then in pre quarters giving a great performance against the Olympic Champion (if i am not wrong, 1st Indian ever to pull a game off Ding Ning, who later crushed Japanese No1 in straight sets in quarters). 

Indian TT is definitely on the rise ....... unimaginable for an Indian to reach qtrs at the asian level just a few years back 15 of the top 20 players are asian so almost at the world championship level  , I do not know if the pts of this add to world ranking but would love for  sathiyan break into the top 20 soon

Edited by nitinsanker

Men's Table Tennis Team can definitely qualify which gives time for better preparation. I feel Anthony Amalraj and Harmeet Desai have reached their peak but the upcoming youngster Manav Thakkar had decent tournament and beat the  higher ranked Japanese along the way. Men's Team needs to be ranked below 12th so they will be seeded within 8th for the Team Qualification Tournament, which is absolutely vital in getting a good draw.

Team rankings are dependent on Singles rankings and the great news is that Soumyajit Ghosh is participating in Swedish Open and German Open to be held next month. If a third Singles can even breach 90th rank, the team rankings will rise a couple of places minimum

Whatever be the Indian ranking, we are likely to face one of Croatia, Slovakia, England or a few others. It will be evenly balanced. We have a good doubles so that along with Sathiyan even winning 1 of 2 means Sharath or any 1 of the other needs to win 1 match. 

On the contrary Women's team finishing 9th is a blessing in disguise. Though the qualifying chances are slim, the worser their ranking (Not 30+),the better part of draw. Currently Korea, Taipei could be in their quarter provided serpentine system is followed.