website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

I did a detailed analysis of world ranking positions by Indians In all major olympic sports ( Shooting , Wrestling , Atheletics , Boxing , Hockey , Archery , Judo , Gymnastics , TT , tennis , badminton , Taekwondo , Sailing , weightlifting ) and this is the results ) 

Beijing London Rio Tokyo
top 100 Rankings  118 234 224 247
MEDAL slot ranking 3 4 3 14
Top 10  19 24 33 48
In 11-25 21 45 44 46
In 25-50 57 69 53 64
fifty plus 23 96 95 89

You can see that there is a Huge improvement in Medal slots from 3-4 to 14 and also a significant change in top 10 rankings by 50% increase , obviously nearly every medal will come from the 48 events  where we are in top 10 or around there 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Just now, nitinsanker said:

Hockey or TT is unlikely ......  neeraj at hist best is still behind the germans and a couple of others , so needs to improve .... I think one more in boxing is possible and so is wrestling and sindhu performs well under pressure ........but you must remember that from these a couple may fail .....so +2-3 and then -2 to 3 , i feel if we do 10-12 I will be thrilled 

Agreed some will fail, Neeraj without the injury was expected to touch 90m this year his coach always said that, maybe he can in 2020 before Tokyo, we may also get more than 6 in shooting looking into the recent stats, let's keep our fingers crossed, mens recurve archery team also won silver to qualify, we had no expectations from Sakshi last time, surprises both way are expected lets see how close can we get to the figure of 15.

Just now, Sanjib said:

Agreed some will fail, Neeraj without the injury was expected to touch 90m this year his coach always said that, maybe he can in 2020 before Tokyo, we may also get more than 6 in shooting looking into the recent stats, let's keep our fingers crossed, mens recurve archery team also won silver to qualify, we had no expectations from Sakshi last time, surprises both way are expected lets see how close can we get to the figure of 15.

I have given a detailed ranking analysis over 4 olympics .... quite interesting 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I did a detailed analysis of world ranking positions by Indians In all major olympic sports ( Shooting , Wrestling , Atheletics , Boxing , Hockey , Archery , Judo , Gymnastics , TT , tennis , badminton , Taekwondo , Sailing , weightlifting ) and this is the results ) 

Beijing London Rio Tokyo
top 100 Rankings  118 234 224 247
MEDAL slot ranking 3 4 3 14
Top 10  19 24 33 48
In 11-25 21 45 44 46
In 25-50 57 69 53 64
fifty plus 23 96 95 89

You can see that there is a Huge improvement in Medal slots from 3-4 to 14 and also a significant change in top 10 rankings by 50% increase , obviously nearly every medal will come from the 48 events  where we are in top 10 or around there 

A ha. I missed it nice work man, we have 14 currently in medal ranking, surely we will deliver the goods this time, big few months for badminton coming up, I know we have disappointed in mens hockey in the past, we are still no. 5 currently and the Pro League next year will tell the story, rmbr our performances in Champions trophy recently have been sublime. Not thinking abt qualifications at all should be easy.

Our Tokyo Prospects are mainly on 3 sports - Shooting , Boxing and Wrestling 

Shooting has seen a spectacular improvement in the last couple of years , so to boxing now let us see how they do 

Mens Boxing has been a bugbear for us - they are Good but not great -   tend to have 4-5 Quarter finalists and then a spectacular fall - Just 0-1 in the semis and then no one in the Finals ( we have never won a gold or silver at the world champs ) , is it a defeatist attitude , poor last mile fine tuning or just that we are not an AIBA " favored " nation I never understood ............

So I am looking at this squad to do better .......

1. The squad is a very new look squad with a lot of the usual boxers - Shiva , Manoj , Vikas etc not there , I think that is positive sign both from a selection angle and that there is new blood coming in 

2. We have 3 seeded Boxers with Amit seeded second as the highest so that is again positive

Hoping for at least 2 medals and hopefully one boxer in the finals 

Chess World Cup starts 

Our Tokyo Prospects are mainly on 3 sports - Shooting , Boxing and Wrestling 

Shooting has seen a spectacular improvement in the last couple of years , so to boxing now let us see how they do 

Mens Boxing has been a bugbear for us - they are Good but not great -   tend to have 4-5 Quarter finalists and then a spectacular fall - Just 0-1 in the semis and then no one in the Finals ( we have never won a gold or silver at the world champs ) , is it a defeatist attitude , poor last mile fine tuning or just that we are not an AIBA " favored " nation I never understood ............

So I am looking at this squad to do better .......

1. The squad is a very new look squad with a lot of the usual boxers - Shiva , Manoj , Vikas etc not there , I think that is positive sign both from a selection angle and that there is new blood coming in 

2. We have 3 seeded Boxers with Amit seeded second as the highest so that is again positive

Hoping for at least 2 medals and hopefully one boxer in the finals 

Are all the nations quite serious for AIBA World Championships? Can this performance be regarded as a parameter for whose going to qualify and ultimately deliver at the Olympics

16 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Chess World Cup starts 

Are all the nations quite serious for AIBA World Championships? Can this performance be regarded as a parameter for whose going to qualify and ultimately deliver at the Olympics

yes fairly serious as they are testing out their boxers for the olympic qualifiers and this is the only major event where this can happen before that , just like India