website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

2 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Genetically, culturally or just skin color?

Genetically, I think Indians are their own genetic group with a lot of mixing with Central Asians. Some groups in Central India and Andaman Islands are genetically very close to African groups. Some groups in North East are genetically very close to Mongoloid groups of East Asia. There is some recent addition of Caucasian genes in a small group as a result of colonialisation. 

Culturally, there is a very small group, mainly in large cities, which think they are whites but rest all are once again uniquely Indian culturally as well.

As far as color of skin is concerned, we have a wide variety ranging from pitch black to milky white, sometimes even in the same family. 

Thank you for your answer! I meant just skin color, 'cause all Indians I've seen were different shades of black, so I've wondered if there are some white ones

6 hours ago, zob79 said:

Thank you for your answer! I meant just skin color, 'cause all Indians I've seen were different shades of black, so I've wondered if there are some white ones

Yup there are white ones.. Like the ones in North east resembling Myanmar, China etc 

6 hours ago, zob79 said:

Now that you entered the Indian National Thread you shall be trapped here  and be required to post about Indian athletes every week. :cheer:

p. s: National Threads are sometimes boring so yeah thanks for giving an opportunity to joke. Always welcomed here :p:toast:

On 20/06/2019 at 14:44, Fly_like_a_don said:

As IOC said the quotas were based on the performance of continents in World Championships the last 2 women's world championship were in India and Kazakhstan. So we got quotas easily. 

Women's categories :

*48-51 :  Mary Kom

China, Kazakhstan, Japan, North Korea, India + 1. Easy qualification. Even Mongolia and Taipei are good in this weight but with 6 in world qualification, more will join. 

*54-57 :Sonia Chahal/Nikhat Zareen/Manisha Moun

China, North Korea,Thailand /India /Mongolia /Vietnam 

*57-60 Sarita Devi

Thailand , China,South Korea, Mongolia /Tajikistan - unpredictable but Olympic bronze medallist from 2012 Chorieva is still 28 /India - may get a difficult draw due to poor performance in this category 

*64-69 Basumatry /Lovlina

China, South Korea, Kazakhstan, India - not difficult competition unless a difficult draw, mostly not bcoz of world bronze

*69-75 Pooja Rani

After beating the world champion in 81kgrecently, she's expected to be in top 4 easily if not the best returning to 75kg. 

China India South Korea Kazakhstan 

Optimistic :5

Pessimistic :3

Average : 4 

good analysis ......why not sonia lather or simranjit kaur for the 60 Kgs........ I think they  would be a good bet ....I think sarita though fiery is not the best bet ......... others are fine though I think lovlina is a brave boxer and possibly has an edge over . Basumatry  ...... sonia chahal is the obvious bet for 54-57, pooja and mary kom are automatic choices for me 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

13 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

good analysis ......why not sonia lather or simranjit kaur for the 60 Kgs........ I think they  would be a good bet ....I think sarita though fiery is not the best bet ......... others are fine though I think lovlina is a brave boxer and possibly has an edge over . Basumatry  ...... sonia chahal is the obvious bet for 54-57, pooja and mary kom are automatic choices for me 

Sonia Lather hasn't been that good over the years and been out of action for almost a year in big events. Sarita Devi had beaten Simranjit in India open 3-2, though the scoreline looked closer than it actually appeared as claimed by reports. Lovlina would make it over others as she's world medallist meaning possible higher seed at Asian championships and easier draw until semis.