website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

16 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

@nitinsanker No mayookha in triple jump plus no one in the event also....

yes just saw juddys post ...I had gone by the original start list .. so that is sad as I wanted to see if mayookha was better :cry:....... have changed the details 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Sad day for Dutee yesterday . According to her, she had nicely warmed up in the 4 X 100 m relay event. and she was feeling confident to attain the Rio qualifying mark in the individual 100 m event.

As she was moving up the blocks , some other athlete from US replaced her for some unknown reason.

Entire story in the following link

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/dutee-chand-olympic-dream-stutters-at-starting-block-2807760/

1 hour ago, tirtha22 said:

A very beautiful article on how much Leander Paes is trying to qualify for Rio and make India proud.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/leander-paes-eyes-record-seventh-olympic-appearance/1/672332.html

Hoping for a great performance by him at the French Open. Hope he goes all the way and not just sets the world record but enchants everyone with his great display and brings back a medal (or two) :bowdown:

Edited by Suneet

9 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

key highlights for today 20th ( big day for India )  updated with swimming ) 

@Prakash @Prashanth @gvaisakh @tirtha22 @Sanjib@sasidhar@RickygoestoRio @ritesh@Partha_SG@Smit

Boxing 

nikhat zareen - hyd girl so a personal favorite of mine .... has been outstanding in the juniors - hope to see her do well in her first major senior tournament in the 54 kg against aus - Ifeel Nikhat has the edge 

sonia lather in the 57 against mgl gundegmaa so may be a good bout 

meeena rani against ger in the 69 - tough bout for indian ..edge to ger 

pooja rani against   ukr borutsa ...edge to borutsa 

Athletics at the taiwan open 

Krishna poonia - discus - will she cross the 58 m  mark as she comes back from semi retirement ... I feel the quota may be too tough but if she does 58-60 very positive 

mayookha in the triple with sheena et al.... - Is she recovered from the terrible fall at the fed cup ...I feel quota may be difficult but if she does close to 14 it would show that she has regained fitness.. ( Update they have removed their names so they are not participating ) 

shot put - Om prakash - can he break the 20 mark and maybe reach qualification quota 

200m - dutee , srabani . manju in the 200m women ? ...... will we see a olympic quota acheived 

there are a few more unknown names but I do not have much hope from them but if any of the discus throwers comes even close to 60 it may be good news for iNdia as Vikas is aging 

Uber cup - Semis 

India vs china

Li vs Saina ...... can go either way , edge to Li but not impossible for Saina to win 

wang shixian vs Sidhu ..... can go either way ... even chances as sidhu does well against the chinese 

wang yihan vs ruthvika ....... almost an impossible task 110+ vs world no 4 ...it is like yuki vs federer ..................... but ruthvika is very classy so 95-5 with a small 5 chance 

tian /zhao vs ashwini / jwala .... less impossible but 75 -25 

chen pair - world no 12 .against sikki / ashwini ...................... again almost impossible 

maybe they will make ashwini/ sidhu pair which did  a fine job against the japanese world 12 and almost beat them ...........................

Japan open swimming 

supriya mondal in the 200m butterfly can he break the 2:00 mark ?? , he recently broke the OST can he try for rehan pponcha NR ...OQT looks impossible 

sandeep sejwal in the 100 breaststroke ... he is the closest to the OQT .... can he break his own record 1:00:97 ...OQT is only 1:00:57 

Elated with the Indian girls yesterday, today if Saina beats Li, we can put pressure on China, coz Sindhu has a good chance against Wang Yihan with her power game. Gadde was most impressive yesterday, she has good deception in her game, with the way she holds her shot until the last moment, also the best back-hand among our girls, her court movement needs to improve though :) that's where she will get caught with the top players currently, she is 18, expect her calf muscles to get stronger in a year or 2 which should then propel her into the top 20, so basically no chance today in Gadde V Wang Shixian, we can maybe pray for an unlikely upset in the last doubles, if it goes that far.

Uber Cup Predictions: Lets see how far I might be correct

1. Li Xuerui vs Saina - Li will win

2. Wang Shixian vs Sindhu - Sindhu will win

3. Tian Qing/ Zhao Yunlei vs Jwala/ Sikki - Of course the olympic champions will win.

4. Wang Yihan vs SHivani - Wang Yihan will win.

So I would be happy even if we lose 1-3.... 2-3 would be a great bonanza... and a win would be fucking awesumiest thing :)

But India has one advantage... CHina lost in Thomas cup putting their girls in a bit psychological pressure.... Also Indian girls would be fresh as they played yesterday morning while the Chinese played in the night

FIngers crossed :fingers::fingers: