Paralympic skiing champion...

We have a special category for Paralympic sports :p

Diede de Groot (tennis)
Jeroen Kampschreur (alpine skiing)
Bibian Mentel (snowboarding)
Jetze Plat (triathlon and cycling)
Dressage team
Wheelchair basketball women

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

here in Italy the's no official ceremony about the "athletes of the year" and basically, all media operators name their own "man/woman/team of the year"...

but the most prestigious award of this kind is surely the "Gazzetta Sports Awards", voting and ceremony organized by the famous Italian daily sports newspaper...

the main problem with this, however, is the fact that the results are determined by the fans vote (everybody can register and express his/her preference in each of the 9 categories), which means that the final result is highly influenced by the popularity of the sport and/or the mediatic impact of the connected event and there's no real technical evaluation of the degree of difficulty of those achievements...:facepalm:

however, the event has its own website and you can see how it works and who are the remaining candidates in each category (the journalists of the newspaper have chosen 8 nominees in each class and then the fans voting -today's the last day- will determine the 3 finalists in each category...then, from tomorrow until Dec. 3rd, there will be a new voting procedure to choose the winner of the award in each category...and on Dec. 4th there will be the actual ceremony with the official announcement of the winners -who get a beautiful and very precious ring as the prize for their win)...

here's the website (where you can see the 8 remaining candidates in each category...just pass with your mouse on the small picture to see the name and/or click on "Vota il tuo Preferito" to see how voting is going right now):

https://sportsawards.gazzetta.it/categorie/

my (absolutely personal...some of them won't even make the top 3) picks:

Uomo dell'anno (man of the year): that's a no brainer...Francesco Molinari

Donna dell'anno (woman of the year): that's really difficult...I'd rather choose a 3-way tie between Sofia Goggia, Arianna Fontana and Michela Moioli...but if I only have to choose 1, I'd go for Moioli (because she didn't win an Olympic Gold medal only, but she dominated the entire season like no one else)...

Squadra dell'anno (team of the year): the actual vote is almost a plebiscite for the woman's volleyball team, but my choice is definitely different, as the girls didn't even win the title...my team of the year is the men's quadruple sculls (Rowing), which came back on top of the world after 18 years and dominated European and World champs but it's not even in the last 8 candidates list...:cry::facepalm:

Allenatore dell'anno (coach of the year): once again...the actual vote is only about Davide Mazzanti and the women's volleyball, but my personal pick is another man not even in the top 8 list, Christian Minotti (Simona Quadarella's coach)...

Best Performance of the year: once again, I don't agree at all with the official choice...to me, this time it can't be (it should and it must not be) anything else than a 3-way tie between the 3 Olympic Gold medals in Pyeongchang...

Exploit dell'anno (Most Unexpected success of the year): very difficult to choose one single event, but I go with someone already in the actual list of candidates, Francesco "Pecco" Bagnaia...

Promessa dell'anno (Most Promising athlete): a good 2-way tie between Giorgia Villa and Letizia Paternoster (even if Letizia is somehow already a well established competitor also among the senior ranks)...

Rivelazione dell'anno (Newcomer of the year): well, I don't understand why they didn't include Francesco Bagnaia in this category...if there's a successful newcomer among the Italia athletes, it must be him...:wall:

Paralympic Athlete of the year: a no brainer...Martina Caironi (women) and Alex Zanardi (men) are the Italian stars of Paralympic sports...

Just now, phelps said:

Exploit dell'anno (Most Unexpected success of the year): very difficult to choose one single event, but I go with someone already in the actual list of candidates, Francesco "Pecco" Bagnaia...

Rivelazione dell'anno (Newcomer of the year): well, I don't understand why they didn't include Francesco Bagnaia in this category...if there's a successful newcomer among the Italia athletes, it must be him...:wall:

Most unexpected? Newcomer? :d 

Bagnaia was actually one of the most expected challengers for the world title this year.. :p 

Perfectly normal he isn't included in the newcomer category, since he's not a newcomer.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

here in Egypt we don't have official ceremony as well , only some Media channels do it by their own , but mostly choices go for football stars as they don't have a good background of other sports , some of them were convinced recently to separate sections of best sportsmen , so they have one for football , one of team sports , one for individual sports men and women , one for Paralympic sports , but mostly players' friends vote in categories other than football , so i'm not really convinced of the results , My personal choices would be Mohamed Salah ofc for Football :d Mohamed Sanad ( Handball ) in other team sports he played in Nimes in France and one of the top scorers of french league last season and this season as well despite the fact he plays as a Wing , FOR SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR I'd choose Mohamed Ihab ( Weightlifting ) without a doubt and for Female it'd be a hard choice but i'd choose Sara Samir ( Weightlifting ) , for Paralympic sports i'd choose Sayed Mohamed ( Table Tennis ) as he won a bronze medal in the last WCH and Fatma Omar ( Powerlifting ) for best female Paralympic athlete , if we talk about Non-olympic Sports , I'd choose without a doubt Mohamed El Shorbagy ( squash ) and Raneem El Weleily ( Squash ) as the best male and female athletes of the year 

41 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Most unexpected? Newcomer? :d 

Bagnaia was actually one of the most expected challengers for the world title this year.. :p 

Perfectly normal he isn't included in the newcomer category, since he's not a newcomer.

well, I don't follow motorsports that much, so to me (I wrote that those are my absolutely personal picks and not the given truth :evil::whistle:) he's a newcomer (in the sense that he was earning his place in the general sports headlines week after week for the first time*, not literally, of course...otherwise it would be almost impossible to find someone that strictly fits to this category...even in the US Sports awards they do normally interpretate this category in that wider way)...

*and in any case this was only his second season in Moto2 class, so he was really I don't say new, but not an established contender for sure...

unexpected...well, in this case his world title was really unexpected...nobody here in Italy had any Italian rider even close to winning a world title this year before the season started...

10 ore fa, vinipereira ha scritto:

For Prêmio Brasil Olímpico, which will take place at December 18th, the nominees are:

RecuperaImagemRecortada.ashx?codigo=6527

Men

Gabriel Medina (Surfing)

Isaquias Queiroz (Sprint Canoeing)

Pedro Barros (Skateboarding)

Women

Ana Marcela Cunha (Swimming)

Ana Sátila (Slalom Canoeing)

Marta (Football)

Isaquias won the award 2 times, so I'm guessing they're going with Medina (first time nominee) this time. Among the women, Cunha won before and is nominated almost every year, while Sátila achieved her second nomination in a row. Marta is a easy pick because she never won before - which also would be the first time a footballer (man or woman) wins!

There's also a thing called Atleta da Torcida, which basically it's a popular vote award that strangely enough doesn't include some of the nominated athletes above. The nominees are:

Erika Miranda (Judo)
Bruno Rezende (Volleyball)
Arthur Zanetti (Gymnastics)
Henrique Avancini (Cycling)
Gabriel Medina (Surfing)
Ágatha/Duda (Beach Volleyball)
Letícia Bufoni (Skateboarding)
Bruno Fratus (Swimming)
Marta (Football)
Eduarda Amorim (Handball)

I guess Medina wins but who knows. If he (or Bufoni) posts something about this on their instagram accounts, they can easily win, but right now Avancini of all people has more than 80% of the vote (most likely because he said something about the award in his social medias). I voted for Erika. Anyone can vote here.

Finally, the brazilian committee also picks the best in each Olympic sport (for winter sports they simply divide between "ice" and "snow") and all these athletes have their moment at the ceremony. The list:

Mostra contenuto

Atletismo: Darlan Romani
Badminton: Ygor Coelho
Basquete: Yago Mateus
Basquete 3x3: Luiz Felipe Soriani
Beisebol: Felipe Burin
Boxe: Beatriz Ferreira
Canoagem Slalom: Ana Sátila
Canoagem Velocidade: Isaquias Queiroz
Ciclismo BMX (Freestyle): Leandro Neto
Ciclismo BMX (Racing): Anderson Ezequiel de Souza Filho
Ciclismo Estrada: Vinicius Rangel Costa
Ciclismo Mountain Bike: Henrique Avancini
Ciclismo Pista: Kacio Fonseca da Silva Freitas
Desportos na Neve: Jaqueline Mourão
Desportos no Gelo: Isadora Williams
Escalada Esportiva: Thais Makino Shiraiwa
Esgrima: Alexandre Camargo
Futebol: Marta Silva
Ginástica Artística: Arthur Zanetti
Ginástica Trampolim: Camilla Gomes
Ginástica Rítmica: Natália Gaudio
Golfe: Luiza Altmann
Handebol: Eduarda Amorim
Hipismo adestramento: João Victor Oliva
Hipismo CCE: Márcio Carvalho Jorge
Hipismo saltos: Pedro Veniss
Hóquei sobre grama: Rodrigo Faustino
Judô: Érika Miranda
Karatê: Vinicius Figueira
Levantamento de pesos: Fernando Saraiva Reis
Maratona Aquática: Ana Marcela Cunha
Nado Artístico: Maria Clara Lobo
Natação: Revezamento (Pedro Spajari/Gabriel Santos/Marcelo Chierighini/Marco Antonio Ferreira Junior)
Pentatlo moderno: Maria Iêda Guimarães
Polo Aquático: Gustavo Guimarães
Remo: Uncas Tales Batista
Rugby: Bianca dos Santos Silva
Saltos Ornamentais: Ingrid de Oliveira
Skate: Pedro Barros
Softbol: Fernanda Ayumi Missaki
Surfe: Gabriel Medina
Taekwondo: Edival Pontes
Tênis: Marcelo Melo
Tênis de mesa: Hugo Calderano
Tiro com arco: Marcus Vinícius D'Almeida
Tiro esportivo: Julio Almeida
Triatlo: Manoel Messias
Vela: Martine Grael e Kahena Kunze
Vôlei:  Douglas Souza
Vôlei de praia: Agatha Bednarczuk / Duda Lisboa
Wrestling: Lais Oliveira

do I really have to explain why I vote for Leticia Bufoni? :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/leticiabufoni/?hl=it

Just now, phelps said:

well, I don't follow motorsports that much, so to me (I wrote that those are my absolutely personal picks and not the given truth :evil::whistle:) he's a newcomer (in the sense that he was earning his place in the general sports headlines week after week for the first time*, not literally, of course...otherwise it would be almost impossible to find someone that strictly fits to this category...even in the US Sports awards they do normally interpretate this category in that wider way)...

*and in any case this was only his second season in Moto2 class, so he was really I don't say new, but not an established contender for sure...

unexpected...well, in this case his world title was really unexpected...nobody here in Italy had any Italian rider even close to winning a world title this year before the season started...

Italians desperately need to brush up on their motorsports knowledge then :d 

With Oliveira and A Marquez he was basically seen as the main contender, especially after already being rookie of the year last year. Newcomer in the wider sense, sure, that's acceptable, and I guess unexpected is ok too for people who associate motorsports only with Valentino Rossi and never watch any of the other races :p 

For next year's Moto2: Fabio Di Giannantonio, Enea Bastianini, Marco Bezzecchi, Luca Marini and Lorenzo Baldassarri....none of them would be an unexpected world champion, Italy as always has a shitload of riders with title chances in the Moto3 and Moto2 :p 

Just now, wumo26 said:

You don't know the winner of the World Snooker Championship? :yikes:

Apparently so :d