website statistics

National & International Sports Awards

konig

I have a proposal that I would love to hear everyone’s opinion on: 

The IOC should make an Olympic Hall of Fame. Every 4 years, the greatest olympians get inducted into the hall of fame. There would an induction ceremony (probably about 10 minutes or so) at the opening ceremony of all summer and winter Olympic games. The greatest winter sport olympians get inducted at the opening ceremony of the winter games & vice versa. At the Lausanne Olympic Museum there would be an exhibit honoring all of the inductees.

What do you guys think?

25 minutes ago, bmo said:

The IOC should make an Olympic Hall of Fame. Every 4 years, the greatest olympians get inducted into the hall of fame. There would an induction ceremony (probably about 10 minutes or so) at the opening ceremony of all summer and winter Olympic games. The greatest winter sport olympians get inducted at the opening ceremony of the winter games & vice versa. At the Lausanne Olympic Museum there would be an exhibit honoring all of the inductees.

What do you guys think?

Not opposed. I’d like a wall (somewhere in the museum) where they carve the faces into it (kind of like the Indy 500 trophy). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not opposed. I’d like a wall (somewhere in the museum) where they carve the faces into it (kind of like the Indy 500 trophy). 

I don’t care what they do to honor them, but I feel like it will bring more attention to the Olympics if they do it

22 minutes ago, bmo said:

I don’t care what they do to honor them, but I feel like it will bring more attention to the Olympics if they do it

More attention: probably not (at least not a significant amount)

It would be nice and cool for those of us that care though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, bmo said:

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I don't see any reason for it to exist. Many sports federations have their own hall of fame, so why create another one for the Olympics? If someone is, indeed, a legend, and this has been acknowledged once, why repeat it again? We all knew about it the first time. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NaBUru38 said:

In the United States, halls of fame are tourist attractions.

In fact, the IOC has an Olympic Museum. I have no idea what it shows.

Olympic Museum is pretty cool. They do a lot of interactive exhibits where kids can learn/play the Olympic sports. It’s located in a park along the shore of the lake there in Lausanne. They have concerts, the Olympics torch relays often stop by, the have running events, etc. They have a bunch of displays inside: all the torches, a bunch of photos, Olympic posters/programs, old results, uniforms, they show Olympic Channel programs, etc. I’d actually really love to visit, but it’s just so expensive to travel to Switzerland (and even more so Lausanne). 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Slovak Athlete of the Year 2020 nominations are out.

Due Covid-19 pandemic this year is a bit different, several athletes and sports teams could not introduce themselves and compete, which is why this year is different.

Instead of the traditional top 10, only the top 5 will be awarded. And instead of the top 3 sports teams, only one winning team will be awarded and announced.

:SVK Athlete of the Year 2020 Nominations (In Alphabetical Order)

Erik Černák (Ice Hockey) 

Erik "Drago" Černák the Košice born blueliner is among the nominated for the 1st time. 2015 U20 World Championship Bronze medalist is this years NHL Stanley Cup champion with Tampa Bay where he is despite his young age considered as one of the leaders of the defense which he proved with his ice times in the entire playoffs.

Peter Sagan (Road Cycling) 

Peter is nominated for the 10th consecutive time !!! He is a 3 time winner (2013, 15 & 17) This year was defiitely not one of his most successful for sure, but he still managed some nice things sadly his seasons goal the Green Jersey remained unfulfilled. However his stage win at the Giro was certainly epic and now he is a fresh member of a all 3 Top Tour stages winner club.

Matej Tóth (Athletics) 

Matej the 2016 Winner is nominated for the 6th time. In a very difficult year for Race Walking he never gave up, continued hard training and despite endless problems with canceling the races, he persevered and managed to create the world best performance of the year in a single race of the whole season and qualified for the Olympics. EAA also awarded him by title of European athlete of the month of October.

Petra Vlhová (Alpine Skiing) 

The only female in the Top 5 and definitely our biggest sport star nowadays is the reigning champion of this award from 2019, her only triumph so far from the 5 nominations. This whole 2020 year believe it or not, She is the only skier to won WC Slalom races so far. She won 2 small crystal globes for Slalom and Parallels last season, this season she already won 3 more WC races.

Ján Volko (Athletics) 

Our sprinter "Johnny" Volko is nominated for the 3rd time, his both previous nominations finished by 4th places (2017 & 19). sadly this year he could not really compete and defend his indoor ECH title, however he still showed some good races like in the Diamond Legue in Bruxelles where he was 3rd n 200m.

We already know the 6th-8h Places

6. Martin Dúbravka (Football)

7. Andrej Sekera (Ice Hockey)

8. Ivona Fialková (Biathlon)

The Winners will be announced in a "special-Covid-19" Gala the 16th december evening in our public TV.

Former :SVK Athlete of the Year winners

Spoiler

1993 Martina Moravcová (Swimming)

1994 Milan Dvorščík (Road Cycling)

1995 Martina Moravcová (Swimming)

1996 Michal Martikán (Canoe Slalom)

1997 Michal Martikán (Canoe Slalom)

1998 Martina Moravcová (Swimming)

1999 Jozef Gönci (Shooting)

2000 Martina Moravcová (Swimming)

2001 Martina Moravcová (Swimming)

2002 Peter Bondra (Ice Hockey)

2003 Martina Moravcová (Swimming)

2004 Elena Kaliská (Canoe Slalom)

2005 Dominik Hrbatý (Tennis)

2006 Radoslav Židek (Snowboarding)

2007 Michal Martikán (Canoe Slalom)

2008 Michal Martikán (Canoe Slalom)

2009 Peter & Pavol Hochschorner (Canoe Slalom)

2010 Anastasiya Kuzmina (Biathlon)

2011 Peter & Pavol Hochschorner (Canoe Slalom)

2012 Zuzana Štefečeková (Shooting)

2013 Peter Sagan (Road Cycling)

2014 Anastasiya Kuzmina (Biathlon)

2015 Peter Sagan (Road Cycling)

2016 Matej Tóth (Athletics)

2017 Peter Sagan (Road Cycling)

2018 Anastasiya Kuzmina (Biathlon)

2019 Petra Vlhová (Alpine Skiing)

Former :SVK Team of the Year winners

Spoiler

1993 W Basketball NT

1994 M Ice Hockey NT

1995 M Ice Hockey NT

1996 W Basketball club Ružomberok

1997 W Basketball club Ružomberok

1998 W Biathlon Relay 4x6km

1999 W Basketball club Ružomberok

2000 M Ice Hockey NT

2001 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2002 M Ice Hockey NT

2003 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2004 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2005 M Tennis Davis Cup Team

2006 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2007 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2008 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2009 M Football NT

2010 M Football NT

2011 M Volleyball NT

2012 M Ice Hockey NT

2013 W Basketball Club Good Angeles Košice

2014 M Football NT

2015 M Football NT

2016 M K4 Canoe Sprint

2017 Mixed Team Alpine Skiing

2018 W Biathlon Relay 4x6km

2019 M Canoe Slalom C1 Team

• 2 weeks later...

The Gala show started with some funny statement :d

2020 was a horrible year...but let find some positives...

1. At the Olympics in Tokyo Slovakia finally tied countries like Russia, China or even the USA in the Medal Tally

2. Our Football NT have even achieved to enter the history books by qualifying to the EURO 2020 months and months after the Tournament opening match

3. and finally, the most important achievement this year our ice hockey NT was so fantastic that we did not lose a single match at the world championships :p

yeah, gonna be a fun gala :d

any bet for the winner ? ...haha