website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

As for last nights results, I’m pleased with the outcome. I did expect Bernie to do better, so I’m worried about our chance to win going forward. Buttigieg is sticking around in the white states, but he’s gone once black and brown votes start coming in. Klobuchar was a nice surprise. Most California Democrats consider her to be conservative though, so she won’t be winning the election here. It will be interesting to see if she can build off this. I’d know how familiar minorities are with her, so she many struggle in South Carolina. I also wouldn’t count Biden or Warren our just yet.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Agger said:

This tweet really says a lot about the race between the moderates:

Honestly, the longer they all stay in the race the better Sanders chances get. They’re all pointing a loaded gun at a each other while Sanders slips away in the background.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Honestly, the longer they all stay in the race the better Sanders chances get. They’re all pointing a loaded gun at a each other while Sanders slips away in the background.

Not much doubt there. The moderate "lane" is large enough to take the win in case they managed to find somebody who could take the votes from the others.

I even see speculations that people will start advising Biden to drop out, even before South Carolina to avoid Sanders winning.

The big question would be what moderate candidate would get the African-American support. Bloomberg is polling well, but the latest attention to stop-and-frisk can't really be good there. Meanwhile Buttigieg is at 4 % and Klobuchar at 0 in the latest numbers.

Buttigieg has been doing better among non-whites in the 2 first states (CNN entry/exit polls), but once again the question is whether those numbers are usefull in states with more non-whites.

Yeah, there's a chance (small) that Sanders could win all the delegates in California due to no one breaking the 15% threshold. At that point it'll almost be guaranteed that Sanders will have the most delegates, only question would be if he'll get a majority. Even if one other person becomes viable Sanders taking ~2/3 of the delegates would still give him a strong lead, especially if he stays viable in Texas.

The moderate dead lock likely won't be broken until after Super Tuesday. I don't see Biden dropping out unless he loses South Carolina and even then it's only a few days until Super Tuesday so it would likely be due to pressure from the DNC.

48 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, there's a chance (small) that Sanders could win all the delegates in California due to no one breaking the 15% threshold. At that point it'll almost be guaranteed that Sanders will have the most delegates, only question would be if he'll get a majority. Even if one other person becomes viable Sanders taking ~2/3 of the delegates would still give him a strong lead, especially if he stays viable in Texas.

The moderate dead lock likely won't be broken until after Super Tuesday. I don't see Biden dropping out unless he loses South Carolina and even then it's only a few days until Super Tuesday so it would likely be due to pressure from the DNC.

Yes, the next 3 election dates are key to winning the nomination. The biggest debacle for the DNC would be to have a brokered convention. If Sanders comes in with any sort of lead in delegates, and the DNC refuses to select him, they can kiss this election goodbye. The people supporting Sanders are voting against that exact type of governing, so they better hope someone manages to gain more delegates than Sanders.

Edited by Olympian1010

44 minutes ago, Agger said:

And that's Deval Patrick the 3rd candidate out within 24 hours.

He was still running? :p

3 minutes ago, Agger said:

Yup. 1200 votes in the state that he put his focus on. Ouch!

1,200 valiant citizens. Still better than those who chose not to participate :yes