website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Well. A small update from Danish politics where one of the main issues is what stores are calling their goods. 
Can they call a bun a vinterbolle, a sausage vintermedister or a tree a winter tree or is it all to please the ones who don't like christmas.

I guess I don't need to mention which side the ones complaining belong to? ;)

It's an annual tradition, where Christmas time seems to be one of the periods of most anger...

Just now, Agger said:

Well. A small update from Danish politics where one of the main issues is what stores are calling their goods. 
Can they call a bun a vinterbolle, a sausage vintermedister or a tree a winter tree or is it all to please the ones who don't like christmas.

I guess I don't need to mention which side the ones complaining belong to? ;)

It's an annual tradition, where Christmas time seems to be one of the periods of most anger...

Oh! So nice to see we're not alone in turning Christmas (and the whole of December/November actually) into something that used to be festive and is now only grounds for discussion :d 

Here more and more people even complain about calling it Christmas and shops are falling for it and more and more are only using terms like 'the holidays' to avoid angering people who don't like Christmas and it's traditions.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Oh! So nice to see we're not alone in turning Christmas (and the whole of December/November actually) into something that used to be festive and is now only grounds for discussion :d 

Here more and more people even complain about calling it Christmas and shops are falling for it and more and more are only using terms like 'the holidays' to avoid angering people who don't like Christmas and it's traditions.

The funny thing is that I've never seen a single comment complaining about people calling something christmas. 

But a sausage called vintermedister (the same store has a Julemedister as well) is all about pleasing the ones who don't like it (but doesn't commen about it). And let's not mention that the people most likely mean muslims ... But guess what's in a medister? Oh yeah, plenty of pork :p

Just now, Agger said:

The funny thing is that I've never seen a single comment complaining about people calling something christmas. 

But a sausage called vintermedister (the same store has a Julemedister as well) is all about pleasing the ones who don't like it (but doesn't commen about it). And let's not mention that the people most likely mean muslims ... But guess what's in a medister? Oh yeah, plenty of pork :p

We have a few sort of extremists who get way, way too much attention :p Pretty much the literal opposites of Geert Wilders, with being an attention whore as the only thing they have in common :d 

A vinter/jule/christmas/wathevermedister sounds good by the way :d 

What is the name it has had for a long time? Is that vintermedister or is that the new term?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

We have a few sort of extremists who get way, way too much attention :p Pretty much the literal opposites of Geert Wilders, with being an attention whore as the only thing they have in common :d 

A vinter/jule/christmas/wathevermedister sounds good by the way :d 

What is the name it has had for a long time? Is that vintermedister or is that the new term?

In general it's just a medister. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medisterpølse) During christmas season (which of course starts a long time before christmas) there are julemedister as well, usually with a bit different spices than usually.

There are also other kinds. For some years we've had grillmedister in the summer period and for a year or two Aldi has had different kinds following the seasons (yeah, also spring, summer and autumn). But the Danish Peoples Party doesn't really seem to care.

They also keep on saying that IKEA is taking away their christmas because of the collection "Vinterfest" even though the politician who started it has been invited to take part in IKEA's christmas :p

The US (Trump puppet Mike Pompeio to be exact) has declared the illegal Israeli settlements on Palestine land to no longer be illegal/against international law. Another victory for the world's single largest peace threat, also known as Israel.

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The US (Trump puppet Mike Pompeio to be exact) has declared the illegal Israeli settlements on Palestine land to no longer be illegal/against international law. Another victory for the world's single largest peace threat, also known as Israel.

Israel is USA's enclave in the Middle East specifically created as such after WWII. There's more money being spend on Israel than even Obamacare's budget. It's a bottomless pit. Of course they will support whatever suits Israel. And the Dems can't really protest that as another silly Trump gimmick since they risk losing the Jewish votes back home.

40 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Israel is USA's enclave in the Middle East specifically created as such after WWII. There's more money being spend on Israel than even Obamacare's budget. It's a bottomless pit. Of course they will support whatever suits Israel. And the Dems can't really protest that as another silly Trump gimmick since they risk losing the Jewish votes back home.

Except that most American Jews haven’t moved to Israel for a reason. Many of them seriously despise the decisions of the Israeli government. The Democratic Party can call them out, as long as we don’t threaten to harm Israel. A majority (55-60%) of the Democratic Party is Pro-Palestinian 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Except that most American Jews haven’t moved to Israel for a reason. Many of them seriously despise the decisions of the Israeli government. The Democratic Party can call them out, as long as we don’t threaten to harm Israel. A majority (55-60%) of the Democratic Party is Pro-Palestinian 

Despite all the mass shootings USA is still a safer place to live than Israel. Why would they move there? Especially when you can lock yourself in some guarded condos or whatever and avoid the real-life drama from afar.

I was always wondering whether the US Jews are in the Dems or GOP camp. As a relative minority I used to think they would support Dems but then I realized when you have money or influence then you side with GOP. So yeah, I'd say the US Jews support Republicans more often. There are no Jewish ghettos like in the blacks or Latins case and majority of the US Jews belong to the middle or middle-upper class so that suits the Republicans as well IMO.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Despite all the mass shootings USA is still a safer place to live than Israel. Why would they move there? Especially when you can lock yourself in some guarded condos or whatever and avoid the real-life drama from afar.

I was always wondering whether the US Jews are in the Dems or GOP camp. As a relative minority I used to think they would support Dems but then I realized when you have money or influence then you side with GOP. So yeah, I'd say the US Jews support Republicans more often. There are no Jewish ghettos like in the blacks or Latins case and majority of the US Jews belong to the middle or middle-upper class so that suits the Republicans as well IMO.

I don’t know a single Jewish person that’s ever voted Republican. Every person of Jewish decent or faith I’ve known has been pretty damn liberal (the same goes for all younger American Muslims). I believe the statistics on the American Jewish vote (which is a good sized minority) is about 80-90% Democrat and 10-20% Republican. Obviously that can change from election to election, but most of the Jewish people I’ve known are generally actually well left in the political spectrum. There are different sects in the Jewish faith, and most American Jews belong to the more liberal ones. Also, assuming Jews automatically have money and power is some pretty old type viewpoints. 

Anti-Semiticism is still rather popular amongst the US right. Nazism was much more popular than it should have been in the 1930s and that’s one of the reasons why. During the “Red Scare”, Republicans like McCarthy (asshole) targeted prominent Jews in the US. They reused a lot of Nazi taking points wether they realized it or not. I think that caused the Jewish minority to shift well left in the US. Plus, unlike most Christians (at least in the US), Jews aren’t as hypocritical in their views. Most of them are vehemently against Trump, and quite a few view him as an anti-Semite.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela