website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Except for when there's sports and they all drone out that godawful "USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!". Ugh.

We’re not known for our originality. I’ve said for years that our cheers need work. I think our Rugby should get permission to do a Native American war dance as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

We’re not known for our originality. I’ve said for years that our cheers need work. I think our Rugby should get permission to do a Native American war dance as well.

Only if the team consists of mainly native Americans, otherwise it's just silly and a very 'forced' thing.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

24 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The are more fijians than native americans in the team, they should do a haka :lol:

You sir have to insulted all Fijians, Fijian fans, and Fijian culture. Shame to your house, shame to country. Good riddance, good day! :mad:

:p 

Fiji does not perform a “haka”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I thought most of the US rugby players come from Samoa or Hawaii? Obviously the rugby is no real thing in the USA when gridiron football rules the house. One can say the rugby players are former gridiron washouts in first place :lol:

Btw, Fiji has its own war dance. They don't need a haka.

Just now, Monzanator said:

I thought most of the US rugby players come from Samoa or Hawaii? Obviously the rugby is no real thing in the USA when gridiron football rules the house. One can say the rugby players are former gridiron washouts in first place :lol:

Yes, some are Samoan I believe. A few Hawaiians as well. However, we also have a really good grassroots rugby program. A lot of guys on the team are white and African American, and some actually grew up playing rugby. Rugby is one of the sports experiencing the biggest growth in America right now. Most of our resources are put into 7s (just like Fiji and Samoa), and we’ve seen great returns so far. Rugby and American Football seem to both be able to attract good talent. In fact there are even universities that gather to play the College Rugby Sevens Championship that is broadcast on ESPN yearly. Currently our best player is Carlin Isles (not sure how to spell last name), and he is African American. He grow up as a football and track athlete, and then switched to Rugby.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Btw, Fiji has its own war dance. They don't need a haka.

Ah, an educated man I see. You sir, bring glory and honor to you house and country, unlike that Argentine buffoon :p

:FIJ war dance is known as the Cibi. They changed their dance about 5 years ago, I believe, to the Cibi. The Cibi is a warriors dance, and the movements look more like a pack of hunters (with spears), then warriors dancing before a battle (like the haka)

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, some are Samoan I believe. A few Hawaiians as well. However, we also have a really good grassroots rugby program. A lot of guys on the team are white and African American, and some actually grew up playing rugby. Rugby is one of the sports experiencing the biggest growth in America right now. Most of our resources are put into 7s (just like Fiji and Samoa), and we’ve seen great returns so far. Rugby and American Football seem to both be able to attract good talent. In fact there are even universities that gather to play the College Rugby Sevens Championship that is broadcast on ESPN yearly. Currently our best player is Carlin Isles (not sure how to spell last name), and he is African American. He grow up as a football and track athlete, and then switched to Rugby.

Rugby is still nothing compared to gridiron. I recall boxing journalists moaning about the decline in US heavyweight boxing few years ago because no big guy wants to do boxing anymore with so much money in football. I seriously doubt anyone would choose rugby over football in US given the chance unless you were spit out by the machine already. With XFL coming up, there's gonna be more demand for these players.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Rugby is still nothing compared to gridiron. I recall boxing journalists moaning about the decline in US heavyweight boxing few years ago because no big guy wants to do boxing anymore with so much money in football. I seriously doubt anyone would choose rugby over football in US given the chance unless you were spit out by the machine already. With XFL coming up, there's gonna be more demand for these players.

There are a lot of people though, there's always going to be at least some who simply like rugby more, even when the very significant amount of money one could earn in American football is taken into the consideration.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!