website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

44 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The protests were successful! Lebanon’s prime minister will step down. However, I have a feeling this isn’t the end of protests. Lebanon’s protest are more about the economy more than anything else.

Protests are about the whole system which is terrible

not sure if you guys are familiar with politics in Lebanon. but there are 3 big groups in Lebanon. Sunnis, Shias, and Christians, they had bloody civil war for years and to make "peace" they created a unique political system. they have election , which is probably fair and democratic but per rules. the prime minister should be a sunni, the president should be a christian and the parliament speaker should be a Shia. and it doesn't matter who has the majority in the parliament , that rule never changes. and if I'm not wrong (I'm not sure about this part) people only can vote for their own groups. I mean christian people only vote for christian members of the parliament and etc.

it seems people don't like it anymore. this is a terrible system to be honest but there is no alternative right now, any other system may lead them again to another civil war.

PS: what I wrote here is probably not 100% accurate about the political system in Lebanon ( there should be more details and ifs) but you can consider it almost correct.

43 minutes ago, MHSN said:

not sure if you guys are familiar with politics in Lebanon. but there are 3 big groups in Lebanon. Sunnis, Shias, and Christians, they had bloody civil war for years and to make "peace" they created a unique political system. they have election , which is probably fair and democratic but per rules. the prime minister should be a sunni, the president should be a christian and the parliament speaker should be a Shia. and it doesn't matter who has the majority in the parliament , that rule never changes. and if I'm not wrong (I'm not sure about this part) people only can vote for their own groups. I mean christian people only vote for christian members of the parliament and etc.

it seems people don't like it anymore. this is a terrible system to be honest but there is no alternative right now, any other system may lead them again to another civil war.

PS: what I wrote here is probably not 100% accurate about the political system in Lebanon ( there should be more details and ifs) but you can consider it almost correct.

And Christian maronites make deals with both Shia and shunni occasionally. Shia also are supported by Iran and Syria, and shunni by the west and Saudi Arabia. Quite complicated situation in a country who you could call it as the "mosaic of Middle East" 

44 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yes, I had a Lebanese friend in high school. His dad fought in the civil war, and their family hated all Muslims (the kid said his dad would shoot on site any that ever came near them). I believe his dad was shot during the war and had family members captured/killed (and for some reason I remember him being a prisoner of the Shia (but it’s to vague for me to be certain about)).

He explained to me the political system, and how what their they’re family had gone through spaced their lives. Unfortunately, our relationship broke down because his family was 100% behind Trump and the NRA, and I just couldn’t handle someone like that at the time (and probably still couldn’t).

What’s worse about the situation in Lebanon is the amount of guns in circulation. Vice News did a good piece about it that you can watch here: 

Drugs are also a major problem in the country.

However, the skiing is nice at least :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, George_D said:

And Christian maronites make deals with both Shia and shunni occasionally. Shia also are supported by Iran and Syria, and shunni by the west and Saudi Arabia. Quite complicated situation in a country who you could call it as the "mosaic of Middle East" 

Again, more bad planning by the western powers before they pulled out of the region. The revitalization of religious sectarianism and extremism throughout the Middle East since the 1970s hasn’t helped either.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

55 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Duncan Hunter's everything scandal.

Oh, phew ?. I though you were talking about a California rep I like. Yeah Hunter’s an asshole, but it’s pretty much what I expect to come out of that region of state :p

I swear MSNBC and FOX NEWS are trying their best to start shit amongst their viewers. This isn’t really journalism, but it’s sure as hell entertaining to watch ?

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

Yup that's true. We had a chapter in Democratic Politics in Class 9 about Lebanon and it's unique system. 

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

Yup that's true. We had a chapter in Democratic Politics in Class 9 about Lebanon and it's unique system. 

Is class 9 the same as year 9 in GB or grade 9 in the US (we really need some universal terms for education levels)

British elections will be on December 12. I cheering for the SNP and LIB/DEM. I hope Tory and Labour take huge loses. Also, I hope for the reemergence of my favorite candidates: Lord Buckethead, Elmo, and the guy who’s campaign slogan is “why not?”