website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

On 08/11/2016 at 06:18, hckosice said:

Not that I particullary care about this, but I´m just wondering about one thing, if there some special reason why such (I imagine important kind of) elections are on Tuesday. 

That would be cool if we have this too...one free day because elections :d we always have them on Saturday :(

Just happened to be reading through the entirety of the Politics thread starting with the unfortunately failed Turkish coup (what a day that was!). I just happened across this one, and I can give an explanation.

All federal elections in the US happen on Tuesdays because of the following. When the US Constitution was written, the US was a highly Protestant religious state. The thought process was everyone would go the mass on Sunday and be reminded of elections. Monday would be a day reserved for travel in case of bad weather of long distances to voting booths. Tuesday everyone votes and begins the journey back home.

Again this is another part of the election process that should be changed. Elections should be on a Monday or Friday. The day should be a mandatory holiday. Voting should be mandatory (with those who don’t vote having to pay a fine like in AUS), and we should have automatic voter registration like in many EU countries. 

In Los Angeles County we no longer have a single Election Day. The election lasts over a 10-day period. The state has created an app where people can choose who to vote for. People then go to their town’s voting meca and use one of the electric machines to vote. At the machines people can read about and select their preferred candidates, or download their prepared votes from the app.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 08/11/2016 at 17:00, heywoodu said:

Wait, Reddit is pro-Democrat? :yikes:

Whenever I go there, it's absolutely filled to the top with pro-Trump crap :d

Yeah US Politics Reddit has gotten a lot more one sided since this post. It’s just liberals arguing with each other at this point.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 08/11/2016 at 23:04, Gianlu33 said:

275 big elector for Donald Trump :facepalm:

How stupid are the Americans? 

Incredibly stupid. My house went from very hopeful to fuck this country in one night. Honestly no one’s ever quite recovered from that night. 2020 will almost certainly be the election of the century because people almost immediately drew the battle lines that night. It’s crazy reading through these posts and thinking back towards that night. I knew Trump would win early on. I remember just having that gut feeling as a Politics experts looking at the exit polls. The minute I saw white woman has gone 50/50 I knew that shit was done.

On 09/11/2016 at 03:03, Wanderer said:

Yay, Trump :d It's going to be funny

It’s been hilarious :wall:

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Incredibly stupid. My house went from very hopeful to fuck this country in one night. Honestly no one’s ever quite recovered from that night. 2020 will almost certainly be the election of the century because people almost immediately drew the battle lines that night. It’s crazy reading through these posts and thinking back towards that night. I knew Trump would win early on. I remember just having that gut feeling as a Politics experts looking at the exit polls. The minute I saw white woman has gone 50/50 I knew that shit was done.

Depending on how early on, you could have made quite some very decent money with it :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 24/03/2016 at 23:42, Wanderer said:

After one year and $17.6 million spent, New Zealanders have decided to keep their current flag :NZL 

Yay!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 14/11/2016 at 13:06, heywoodu said:

Like most people, to hopefully not let the entire world go insane :p 

To add in the insanity, we might see a victory for Geert Wilders (our local idiot) in the Dutch elections next year..it depends on how much of those "OMG MIGRANTS KILL EVERYONE" losers will actually vote on him in the end :p

I know I should really stop quoting old posts, but for reason “(our local idiot)” made me laugh out loud. I think it’s funny that we all have an idiot now. I’ve Trump. France still has Le Pen looking good for the next election. Germany’s got their Not-Nazis (but definitely Nazis) wining more and more elections. Indonesia’s got that religious freak. Brazil saw us elect Trump, and said hold me beer (and then elected someone who might actually be worse than Trump). The Philippines has their manic as a president. The man leading in the Tunisian elections is running from prison. GBR has Boris Johnson because everyone wasn’t laughing at them hard enough after Brexit. I believe Wilders is still active in the Netherlands. Norway’s got some crazies in the government. Finland’s got some weirdos too. Fist fights are continually breaking out in the Nigerian Parliament. 

What a world we live in currently. I really hope this 2020-2022 election cycle goes much better for liberals, and/or moderates. Plus, we’ve got Proxy Wars spring up all over the place now. Korea v. Japan, India v. Pakistan, Syria v. Kurdistan, Colombia’s back at civil war, The Irish question is back, etc.

It all started with Brexit and Trump, and then shits just been hitting the fan since.

Just now, heywoodu said:

Depending on how early on, you could have made quite some very decent money with it :p 

Afternoon at the earliest

Just now, heywoodu said:

Yay!

I quite liked that fern flag though. I my favorite entry was the dude who just replaced the red stars for a picture of a dick or a dildo or something. That actually made the first round I believe.