website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Honduran Military Police have opened fire on protesting students at the national university in Tegucigalpa. They came without warning and immediately began to fire live ammunition. The Trump administration has argued for months that conditions in Honduras do not allow for asylum status, but they were definitely way wrong (even before this incident). Trump is an equal party in this to me. We currently support their government I believe, what a disgrace :facepalm:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So in sports politics news, California is on the verge of passing an a university athlete compensation bill that would see/allow college level athletes to make money off the use of their names, likeness, and image. The NCAA is similar to the IOC on this matter and profits unfairly in a similar way. The NCAA have to expel California universities from all NCAA championships. However, this could backfire for multiple reasons 

1) UCLA, USC, Stanford have some of the largest fanbases in the country. There will be millions of upset viewers most likely boycotting the NCAA. (For reference, a majority of Californians, especially sports fan, approve of this bull)

2) California has at least 30-40 NCAA Universities and is capable of forming a competitor league to challenge the NCAA. It is believed other liberal west coast states could and might join them there.

3) TV companies pay a lot of money for rights to NCAA games. And they are mostly based where? Answer: California. The NCAA would have multiple lawsuits on their hands, not to mention a possible media boycott.

4) This has been building for awhile. The NCAA has gotten more and more aggressive over the years, and public sentiment is starting to shift against them. This could be a nail in the coffin for them.

Most likely we’ll see some kind of in between deal. I support my state on this (as always), and it’s not surprising California is the first state to attempt this being a beacon for American liberals since the 1950s. California is probably the most left state in the union (maybe tied with New York), so we tend to care more about social issues than other states. We have passed many state laws on climate regulations, equality, and won a Supreme Court battle for the right to marriage equality. Yes, we have failed in some aspects, but this bill is definitely a step in the right direction. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So Trump has reignited the national anthem debate again. Megan Rapinoe joked, quite seriously, about how Trump would never invite the women’s national team to the White House even if they won. When asked if she would attend, should they get the “honor” Rapinoe replied “f*** no I wouldn’t go”. Trump then took to Twitter where he began to call her out along with his disgusting supporters for “disrespecting the nation” by refusing to participate in the anthem and kneeling on occasion. I completely support Rapinoe here. I myself haven’t said the American Pledge of Allegiance in 3-4 years and haven’t sung the anthem since Rio 2016. 

Trump has now invited the girls to the White Hose “win or lose” according to him. I would imagine like the majority of American sports team, they will refuse to go.

Alright first night of debates and the sparks are flying! I’ve really enjoyed seeing the extreme left shift of my preferred party. So far Julien Castro has made the biggest impact tonight in my opinion. Warren has done well to defend her positions too. Bill DeBasio has made a good start too. And John Delaney has made me want to get him out of the party. I’m not a huge fan NBC’s coverage though.

I haven't sung the Dutch anthem since I was a little kid in school, big whoop :p

Americans make way too much of a deal of the anthem and flag and the freaking Pledge of Allegiance which reminds me more of the Hitlerjugend than anything. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I haven't sung the Dutch anthem since I was a little kid in school, big whoop :p

Americans make way too much of a deal of the anthem and flag and the freaking Pledge of Allegiance which reminds me more of the Hitlerjugend than anything. 

In Indonesia anthem and flags are also a revered subject. There is a subject at school that if literally translated became "Citizenship Studies", where you study the government system, how the parliament works, citizenship laws, dissecting the constitution, and some sprinkle of indoctrination about anti-communism etc. I have to say this is quite successful in shaping average Indonesians way of thinking and their thought about national symbols, resulting in often overproud sentiment (and refusal to stand when asked to stand for other countries' anthem while singing our own anthem like mad).

Back at high school, my "Citizenship Studies" teacher is a perfect model of "making a really big deal of anthems and flags". She criticized the Jehovah Witnesses in our school, getting mad if she caught someone singing the anthem wrong, angry because during a flag hoisting ceremony there is a few centimeters gap left at the pole (not "fully hoisted"). Guess she can be famous in the US :p

When not exaggerated, this citizenship studies thing sounds pretty good. I mean, it's only good when people know how their country works and stuff like that. You know, minus the propaganda stuff :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!