website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Just now, heywoodu said:

Isn't that quite often the same or is there a large number of not very conservative Muslim countries in terms of people having roughly the same rights and freedoms?

It really depends on what people view as freedom. I mean, I’d say the US is free, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that we couldn’t do better.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

It really depends on what people view as freedom. I mean, I’d say the US is free, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that we couldn’t do better.

Being able to believe what you believe, love who you love and develop yourself according to who you are and what you're able to do, for example, as long as it doesn't hurt others. Without having to fear the law, of course. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, amen09 said:

"christian" country have the same rights and freedoms ? for example    venezuela is like germany ? no :p

Catholicism isn't exactly known for is large freedom neither, indeed :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Being able to believe what you believe, love who you love and develop yourself according to who you are and what you're able to do, for example, as long as it doesn't hurt others. Without having to fear the law, of course. 

I’d say that’s a fair definition :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, heywoodu said:

Catholicism isn't exactly known for is large freedom neither, indeed :p

I’ve been in Catholic education for years, my news stories have continually been censored because they contain material that’s “to mature” “to vulgar” or “go against the church”. I was banned from saying words in middle school after I spoke out about the injustice of the Catholic Church always using child blaming to cover their tracks.

I was actually Catholic until 3 years ago. However, the church started sounding more and more hardline on issues and I couldn’t stand it. They cover child abuse. They collect money and use it to fund these magnificent churches, and then have the nerve to preach about how they help the poor (the Lutherans are the only people who actually do anything meaning for the poor in my town). They talk about how abortion is a sin, yet they won’t help the child once it’s born. They won’t let woman have a role in the church, simply because they’re woman. The church is for everyone, but the Pope gets to dictate what I’m allowed to believe or even say. 

Religion in in general is bad though. It’s the same in every religion. Most are against woman. Most aim to keep class division. They all make you live a certain way.

They only “good” and tolerate religions I’ve found so far are Lutheranism and Baha'i. 

Every day we hear about more "sanctions" I wonder if there is anything else for them to do in Washington beside threatening Iran ?

but while you don't expect humanity from Trump, it's hard to believe how stupid  those in charge here in Iran are , they can't see the opportunity here. the only move they have right now (beside waiting for Trump to not get re-elected) is to keep the whole country united for the upcoming war. and that won't happen unless the wounds from 2009 are healed. but they are too ignorant to understand this.

but the worst and saddest part is whenever we have such news, if someone checks the social media , there are thousands of jokes about this. to me this is disgusting that our own people are making jokes about our/their own misery. I know social media suck in general but still ... I guess our biggest enemy is ourselves.

37 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve been in Catholic education for years, my news stories have continually been censored because they contain material that’s “to mature” “to vulgar” or “go against the church”. I was banned from saying words in middle school after I spoke out about the injustice of the Catholic Church always using child blaming to cover their tracks.

I was actually Catholic until 3 years ago. However, the church started sounding more and more hardline on issues and I couldn’t stand it. They cover child abuse. They collect money and use it to fund these magnificent churches, and then have the nerve to preach about how they help the poor (the Lutherans are the only people who actually do anything meaning for the poor in my town). They talk about how abortion is a sin, yet they won’t help the child once it’s born. They won’t let woman have a role in the church, simply because they’re woman. The church is for everyone, but the Pope gets to dictate what I’m allowed to believe or even say. 

Religion in in general is bad though. It’s the same in every religion. Most are against woman. Most aim to keep class division. They all make you live a certain way.

They only “good” and tolerate religions I’ve found so far are Lutheranism and Baha'i. 

The Baha'i, who luckily are not a fan of spending way too much money on way too exorbitant buildings for - among others - dead people :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_World_Centre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Bahá'u'lláh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_the_Báb

:p

I wouldn't say religion is specifically bad, even though I'm not religious. I witness first-hand how it does help people find strength to carry on in tough times, for example. The problem is the restricting part, as you said, which is present basically everywhere. "Can't do this", "Women are inferior", "Can't do that", "Love this person? SINNER!", and so on. Ugh.

39 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The Baha'i, who luckily are not a fan of spending way too much money on way too exorbitant buildings for - among others - dead people :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_World_Centre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Bahá'u'lláh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_the_Báb

:p

I wouldn't say religion is specifically bad, even though I'm not religious. I witness first-hand how it does help people find strength to carry on in tough times, for example. The problem is the restricting part, as you said, which is present basically everywhere. "Can't do this", "Women are inferior", "Can't do that", "Love this person? SINNER!", and so on. Ugh.

Baha'i have a penchant for grandeur. Check the Baha'i temple in India 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Temple

Just now, Dolby said:

Baha'i have a penchant for grandeur. Check the Baha'i temple in India 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Temple

with nine doors opening onto a central hall with a height of slightly over 34.27metres

So it's like what, 34,28 meters?