website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

53 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I registered on my way out of the citizenship ceremony. There was a voter registration booth. I actually got a voter card that was valid from the last week of November 2019 to the end of 2019 (since Texas registration cards are always valid for a two year cycle), which is kind of amusing since there was literally no election of any kind anywhere in the state during that time. I got my voter registration card for 2020-2021 in the mail without having to do anything. Texas has an open primary (but you can only vote in one party's primary for any given cycle). The only complication there is that for all offices other than the presidency there is the potential for a primary runoff in May, which will almost certainly include the US Senate race on the Democratic side.

Thank god I live in California. You sign up once online, and you’re good. No ID needed, no voter cards, no anything. Plus, I get 11 days to cast my vote. There’s almost never any lines at the polling places. I’m not taken off the voter roll simply for not voting in one election. There’s only ever one primary, and one general election in a given year. You’re not bound to vote by party (except in the presidential race now). I still contest the California is the greatest republic in the world :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Thank god I live in California. You sign up once online, and you’re good. No ID needed, no voter cards, no anything. Plus, I get 11 days to cast my vote. There’s almost never any lines at the polling places. I’m not taken off the voter roll simply for not voting in one election. There’s only ever one primary, and one general election in a given year. You’re not bound to vote by party (except in the presidential race now). I still contest the California is the greatest republic in the world :p

No ID needed to register for voting? :d 

I do hope one needs stuff like an ID when actually voting?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You do not in fact. You do have to prove that you are a real person at some point in the process, but I can’t remember when. I did not need my ID when I went to vote today. I signed in with an electronic signature, and then was given my “ballot” to put into the machine.

There’s literally zero excuse to not vote in California. It’s so easy to get registered, and to vote. We accommodate people in all sorts of ways (audio voting for the blind, ballots in like 15 languages, voting from your car for people with disabilities, voting by mail for anyone who can’t make it to the polls, voting by mail for Californians currently living overseas, voting assistants for the “disabled”, voting hotlines for various needs, etc.)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Hence why there is so much voter fraud in California.   Dems blocking any attempt for voter ID here because they control the state (and what great job they did)

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

You do not in fact. You do have to prove that you are a real person at some point in the process, but I can’t remember when. I did not need my ID when I went to vote today. I signed in with an electronic signature, and then was given my “ballot” to put into the machine.

There’s literally zero excuse to not vote in California. It’s so easy to get registered, and to vote. We accommodate people in all sorts of ways (audio voting for the blind, ballots in like 15 languages, voting from your car for people with disabilities, voting by mail for anyone who can’t make it to the polls, voting by mail for Californians currently living overseas, voting assistants for the “disabled”, voting hotlines for various needs, etc.)

You know every detail, apart from what should be absolutely one of the main steps? :p 

I'm incredibly glad we have to be registered in our place of living first of all to get a voting card and we have to both show (and give) said card + show ID when actually voting. Fraud galore otherwise.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, it’s been a productive day. Wrote the quiz, wrote the articles, got a new pair of running shoes (so I can start running again), and I went to vote. LA County has a voting period of 14 days for all elections now. There are a few designated places in the county where you can vote. The voting is all electronic, and it’s a fantastic improvement on the old paper ballot system. 

I was able to vote as a non-aligned (since my old party isn’t recognized by California) in the Democratic Primary. I spent a few minutes seriously thinking about vote before lodging one for Sanders. My heart kept saying Warren, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I actually regret not voting for her now.

I also voted on the other stuff too. Yes to more money (taxes) to pay for schools, hiring more firefighters, and funding our city hospital. Wasn’t that interested in the local races. Didn’t vote McCarthy (for obvious reasons) for House Representative. Hoping the Democratic Party doesn’t nominate the pedophile for our local state representative again.

Now all I can do is wait for the results from California and rest of the country :yes

753C27E7-517D-447E-B136-3B57F45A949F.jpeg

I already voted by mail a week ago.  Had the Republican ballot.    So trump for president.   Reed for congress over Shepard. Lee for city council.    No on 13

Edited by Maxim Fastovsky

7 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Hence why there is so much voter fraud in California.   Dems blocking any attempt for voter ID here because they control the state (and what great job they did)

Show me the proof. Sorry we actually let black and brown people vote in this state.

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You know every detail, apart from what should be absolutely one of the main steps? :p 

I'm incredibly glad we have to be registered in our place of living first of all to get a voting card and we have to both show (and give) said card + show ID when actually voting. Fraud galore otherwise.

Research has shown that voter fraud isn’t a wide spread as conservatives think it is. Research has also shown that minorities and youth are less likely to vote when more obstacles are put in the way. It’s not a true democracy if people are shut out of voting. Voting in California is nearly effortless (besides researching your votes and whatnot), and it feels amazing.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Research has shown that voter fraud isn’t a wide spread as conservatives think it is. Research has also shown that minorities and youth are less likely to vote when more obstacles are put in the way. It’s not a true democracy if people are shut out of voting. Voting in California is nearly effortless (besides researching your votes and whatnot), and it feels amazing.

Same here, and it feels more secure. I mean, you get your card (which has very simple instructions on it) by post and take it + your ID to the polling station. It really is not very complicated.

Edited by heywoodu

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yep, same in Poland. You can only vote in the place where you live here. In case you're traveling or having a holiday in another place on election day, you have to take a special paper from city hall to confirm where you actually live. Obviously you have to have an ID too.